MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #16
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

Franklin is using an all-natural prime, Creekstone Farms most likely. Cattlelack's is using Akuashi. I think Killen's is using Snake River Farms. There is definitely a difference. Pecan Lodge in Dallas uses CAB (or did in the last interview I read) which is an upper 2/3rds choice and it's pretty darn close to prime. I used to be able to get Creekstone farms briskets from my butcher but he can't get them anymore. The demand is too high. I guess you can mail-order them all, but they are expensive for the average backyard joe like myself.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #17
TXNewbie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
Franklin is using an all-natural prime, Creekstone Farms most likely. Cattlelack's is using Akuashi. I think Killen's is using Snake River Farms. There is definitely a difference. Pecan Lodge in Dallas uses CAB (or did in the last interview I read) which is an upper 2/3rds choice and it's pretty darn close to prime. I used to be able to get Creekstone farms briskets from my butcher but he can't get them anymore. The demand is too high. I guess you can mail-order them all, but they are expensive for the average backyard joe like myself.
I liked CattleAck's brisket slices overall, but preferred the burnt ends from Hutchins.

CattleAck opened at 10:30, we arrived at 10:45, and it was still a 50 minute wait. The food at CattleAck was outstanding. You can see why it is a top 10 in Texas.
TXNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Most Texas places use Prime. Some use Choice. I'm sure there are outliers, but I've never seen one of the good places use anything less than Choice.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #19
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Trout Bum View Post
All I know is that at an HEB in San Antonio I was looking through the packers and the package said “Product of Canada” on it.

Canada produces some mighty fine beef, that's for sure. When I was working in the oil sands up there I think I tried to eat most of it.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #20
DECENT BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
What place is this?
Jack's BBQ off Airport Way in SoDo.
DECENT BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #21
HDCTX
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : 10502 Spice Ridge Row

Alberta Canada is a very close cousin to Texas. Similar politics, economies, and beef, and believe me, they take great pride in their beef. The only problem I've run into is that they call anything cooked outside BBQ. That's kinda sad.
HDCTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #22
DECENT BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCTX View Post
Alberta Canada is a very close cousin to Texas. Similar politics, economies, and beef, and believe me, they take great pride in their beef. The only problem I've run into is that they call anything cooked outside BBQ. That's kinda sad.
Your average American does this as well. Most backyard "BBQs" I go to are hamburgers and hotdogs. Hell we even call propane grills "BBQs"
DECENT BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #23
sickhick
Full Fledged Farker

The vast majority of the top places are using prime and upper choice.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #24
noobieQ
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Chris

With CostCo nearby offering $3.49 Prime briskets, I haven't yet bothered to try cooking a lower grade cut. The Cash and Carry nearby has briskets, but they are all select's and almost the exact same price as CostCo prime, so there's never been a good enough reason to bother trying them.

I would like to tho, mostly out of curiosity to see the difference.
noobieQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #25
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECENT BBQ View Post
From my experience, most restaurants use Ole Hickory or Southern Pride style smokers, and do not trim their briskets prior to cooking. They smoke for ever how long, then wrap and hold hold them until ready to serve. They could easily sit for a day or longer in the hot hold before being served. This will help retain the moisture and make them tender. These tend to be your more reasonably priced BBQ places.

The authentic places that cook on wood only pits will buy choice or higher, not hold them as long, and typically charge a higher price to reflect this.

This does not apply to the type of places that make the Texas Monthly list.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #26
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Default The quality of brisket at Texas barbecue restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser42 View Post
From what I've read, most places used Select or Choice until Franklin upped the ante by using Prime.

This is still the case. I’ll bet that less than 2% of Texas BBQ restaurants use Prime. The ones that do are the ones that you hear about all the time. I believe that the quality of their BBQ has a lot more to do with how that cook the meat than what grade of meat they use.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #27
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
This is still the case. I’ll bet that less than 2% of Texas BBQ restaurants use Prime. The ones that do are the ones that you hear about all the time. I believe that the quality of their BBQ has a lot more to do with how that cook the meat than what grade of meat they use.
The sad part is, every time I go out for BBQ, they all seem to be charging Prime prices these days.
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2019, 11:31 PM   #28
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Stiles Switch uses prime. I saw the boxes as they were trimming them

Old 01-17-2019, 02:21 AM   #29
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser42 View Post
The sad part is, every time I go out for BBQ, they all seem to be charging Prime prices these days.
Who's "they"? What are "prime prices" and how many years of experice do you have running BBQ restaurants to know what they should be charging?
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2019, 04:24 AM   #30
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Follow Texas Monthly BBQ Editor Daniel Vaughn’s BBQ Newsletter, his books and reviews via social media. Often times he will do a thorough review including Beef grades used. It’s a start. My experience, except for Pecan Lodge- seems pretty consistent on brisket. Simple seasoning (s) generous pepper 18-25$#, longer hold times. Pecan Lodge was outstanding but theirs was a tad sweeter tasting to me. Really good though.
I always get the beef sausage. To me that’s the fun part. Seems always the sliced brisket sausage sandwich are always stacked high then I kick off the bun.

Most Q places in Texas are very generous with their cooking methodology.