MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
RuBBQCo
Knows what a fatty is.

Default How much brisket?

I am catering a bridal expose in February and they have requested a brisket carving station. Below is a little back ground info on the event:

# of people - 130

Meats being served: 1/4 chicken, brisket (carving station)

Sides: Mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans

My main questions revolve around the meat portion:

1.) Would you plan on doing a 1/4 chicken per person?

2.) How many total lbs of brisket would you prepare for the carving station?

3.) Would you do just flats or would you prepare whole packers and offer lean and/or fatty?

I have some #'s in my head for all of this, but I wanted to consult with you all first to get your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Are you expected to hand out full servings or just samples? Most expos just hand out small samples so it could go a lot further than if you were feeding full meals.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
troy64
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuBBQCo View Post
I am catering a bridal expose in February and they have requested a brisket carving station. Below is a little back ground info on the event:

# of people - 130

Meats being served: 1/4 chicken, brisket (carving station)

Sides: Mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans

My main questions revolve around the meat portion:

1.) Would you plan on doing a 1/4 chicken per person?

2.) How many total lbs of brisket would you prepare for the carving station?

3.) Would you do just flats or would you prepare whole packers and offer lean and/or fatty?

I have some #'s in my head for all of this, but I wanted to consult with you all first to get your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
I have no experience with catering but I did cook for my daughter's wedding engagement party 3 years ago. Speaking only on briskets I smoked 5 or 6 (can't recall exactly) each weighing approx. 13-15lbs. I trimmed each one but not a full comp trim. We had approx. 90 to 100 people over a 4 hour period and there was NONE left lol! There was several other items of food including desserts but the main dish was the brisket. I did not run short of brisket but at the end of the party the trays were empty. Hope this helps a little and best wishes for you!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
RuBBQCo
Knows what a fatty is.

Medic,

We're actually providing a full buffet dinner for all those attending the expose, so it'd be a full serving.

Troy,

Thank you for your insight, it was helpful!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Medic,

We're actually providing a full buffet dinner for all those attending the expose, so it'd be a full serving.

Troy,

Thank you for your insight, it was helpful!
Wow, that's a decent undertaking! Personally I'd do more of a 60/40 split of brisket and chicken. I've never seen a buffet where the chicken goes faster than the brisket. It's always more like a consolation prize when the brisket runs out, or for people who think it's healthier.

I'd do full packers and offer fatty or lean since it's a carving station. It adds a little flair and can slightly educate some people about brisket.

As far as amounts, I wonder how many reluctant husbands-to-be and future father's-in-law are going to be there and thinking the only good part of the whole experience will be the food. They may stuff themselves to make up for the torture they've been put through! I'd probably do something along the lines of 10-12 briskets and 40-50 chicken quarters. It's probably a high estimate but I always err on the side of leftovers.

If you actually have leftover brisket you don't necessarily have to bring it out, and you can freeze and and use it down the road in beans, chili, etc...

Do less green beans than you think you need.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I’d do drumsticks instead of quarters.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

I would be reluctant to do a buffet with brisket. Pork and or chicken, yes. Something as expensive as brisket is iffy...or would be to me. It's a buffet, people aren't happy when you run out of food for a buffet. They also aren't happy when they are portioned to death.

Cook enough chicken portions to cover at least 125% of the guests...brisket had better go at least 150% of what you would normally serve. Price for the amount you cook...whether they eat it all or not.

Of course I'm assuming the term buffet is meant as all-you-can-eat. If you're using the term buffet in another way, then I would breathe much easier.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
RuBBQCo
Knows what a fatty is.

Cook,

Being the type of event that it is (bridal expose where everyone will be walking around speaking with other vendors), I am thinking that the vast majority of those attending will only come through the line once. And with the brisket being a carving station, I will have a little more control over portion sizes. Hopefully I am not off the mark on these 2 things.

For brisket, I was thinking roughly 85lbs raw weight assuming a 50% or more yield, which would give me a little over 5oz of brisket per person (42.5 X 16oz / 130 people). Would this along with 1/4 chicken's and 3 sides be enough?

Also, with the 1/4 chicken's, would you prepare 1 per guest? I typically do this and have leftovers but would rather ire on the side of caution and not run about, especially with a cheap cut like 1/4 chicken.

Thanks for all of the response thus far!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #9
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

We do a lot of bridal expos and we serve a huge amount of people samples not full portions. When we do weddings for 130 people two meat and three sides we will use 7 briskets for each meat they will receive 4oz of each meat and 3.5oz of each side. Usually I tell my clients 1 brisket will feed 20 people, a 12lb brisket will only yields 6lbs. You can feed 130 people well so they dont come back through the line. Best of luck !
Old 01-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #10
RuBBQCo
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks AustinKnight!

So by your calculations, I should be right on (maybe a little over) with the 85lbs of raw brisket, correct? That would yield me roughly 42.5lbs of cooked meat, or 5.2oz per person. And then I’ll also be serving the 1/4 chicken.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #11
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Thanks AustinKnight!

So by your calculations, I should be right on (maybe a little over) with the 85lbs of raw brisket, correct? That would yield me roughly 42.5lbs of cooked meat, or 5.2oz per person. And then I’ll also be serving the 1/4 chicken.
Yes that is correct, thank of it this way you feed everyone handsomely and if you have leftovers leave it for the bride and groom if possible. They will thank you later with continued business 😊