• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Free Weber Kettle 22.5" Score

mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Was away at my parents vacation home in Poconos, PA. Was driving around home to home to for the community flea market, when I saw it on the side of the road, a Weber 22.5" with a sign that read "free take me, yes it really works".

Was pumped, having never made any super affordable or free BBQ scores. As I hauled it away the guy yelled jokingly from his porch that I owed him a hot dog. I thanked him and off I went. Side note, had I lived in the neighborhood he would have been the recipient of some kettle smoked goodies.

The small negatives, slight cooking grate rust, slightly warped charcoal grate. Going to use baking soda and vinegar to scrub off rust. Then going to season with vegetable oil and run for couple hours to burn through. Also, was missing the plastic handles on lid. I fixed by wrapping with some auto hose tape, not the prettiest fix but more than service-able to keep my beautiful hands from being burnt.

Never owned a real full-sized kettle before, excited to use it for grilling some burgers, slow smoking a chicken. Next thing, considering buying the Weber charcoal holders or building a small basket to get my indirect game going. Open to suggestions

Attachments

• weber outside.jpg
    weber outside.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 228
  • weber inside.jpg
    weber inside.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 229
Looks like the bottom part is the 3 daisy wheel model instead of the one touch system.

Great score!

I've found that I use my kettles more than anything this year. They really are easy to use for all my cooking needs. Couple fire bricks and some foil to help with your indirect cooks and you should be good to go.

Was away at my parents vacation home in Poconos, PA. Was driving around home to home to for the community flea market, when I saw it on the side of the road, a Weber 22.5" with a sign that read "free take me, yes it really works".

Was pumped, having never made any super affordable or free BBQ scores. As I hauled it away the guy yelled jokingly from his porch that I owed him a hot dog. I thanked him and off I went. Side note, had I lived in the neighborhood he would have been the recipient of some kettle smoked goodies.

The small negatives, slight cooking grate rust, slightly warped charcoal grate. Going to use baking soda and vinegar to scrub off rust. Then going to season with vegetable oil and run for couple hours to burn through. Also, was missing the plastic handles on lid. I fixed by wrapping with some auto hose tape, not the prettiest fix but more than service-able to keep my beautiful hands from being burnt.

Never owned a real full-sized kettle before, excited to use it for grilling some burgers, slow smoking a chicken. Next thing, considering buying the Weber charcoal holders or building a small basket to get my indirect game going. Open to suggestions
I prefer the daisy wheel kettles, it's easier to cook at lower temps.
You don't need the baskets.
Weber Kettle, low-n-slow, let's see your setup
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246

Congrats!

You can always pick up a new style hinged cooking grate from Home Depot for $17. Be sure to get yourself a set of Weber charcoal baskets too. Those things are a game changer in terms of reusing old charcoal and ease of cleanup for a kettle, all the more so for a kettle without the one touch cleaning system like that.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7403-Char-Basket-Charcoal-Briquet/dp/B000WEMGM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469483541&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+grill+charcoal+basket"]Amazon.com : Weber 7403 Char-Basket Charcoal Briquet Holders : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

If you look closely you can see the metal plate insert that is in my kettle. It was made by one of the brethren (who's name slips my mind right now). It basically makes a wall on one side and blocks the bottom above the meat with the drip pan under it in my picture. I then put hot coals on one side and basically mionion method it. Lasts about 5 hours like that. It works great. Oh, and that's about 13 lbs of corned beef on the kettle too.
IMAG0245_zpsfk706gq7.jpg

Congrats!

You can always pick up a new style hinged cooking grate from Home Depot for $17. Be sure to get yourself a set of Weber charcoal baskets too. Those things are a game changer in terms of reusing old charcoal and ease of cleanup for a kettle, all the more so for a kettle without the one touch cleaning system like that.

Amazon.com : Weber 7403 Char-Basket Charcoal Briquet Holders : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I almost bought the hinged grate at HD couple nights
ago, but my inner cheapness got the better of me. Will probably go to HD a couple more times to lurk. Must be a brethren thing, got to go and play inthe BBQ aisle at HD, and fight back the urge to scream when I see someone eyeing up a cheap offset or cheap bullet..:mod:

If you look closely you can see the metal plate insert that is in my kettle. It was made by one of the brethren (who's name slips my mind right now). It basically makes a wall on one side and blocks the bottom above the meat with the drip pan under it in my picture. I then put hot coals on one side and basically mionion method it. Lasts about 5 hours like that. It works great. Oh, and that's about 13 lbs of corned beef on the kettle too.
IMAG0245_zpsfk706gq7.jpg

Looks good, the corned beef and the set up. Your friend did you a solid. Taking off on that idea, I might build a little sort of wall out of expanded metal, maybe 2 or 3 sheets tacked together, cut to size. 5 hours sounds good.

Great score!

I've found that I use my kettles more than anything this year. They really are easy to use for all my cooking needs. Couple fire bricks and some foil to help with your indirect cooks and you should be good to go.

Yeah 1st kettle, will be testing it's versatility. Good tool for smaller cooks, where firing up the OK Joe wouldn't be efficient.

Back