MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
How many points is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Do you think this is an appropriate topic for Q-Talk?

Really, that looks great! Does your diet allow you days off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Looks mighty fine. Did you try wrapping it in a dishtowel?
Ok, all three of you line up side by side and hold hands. That way, no one will have any trouble seeing the hairs on my ass.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #17
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

That looks fabulous Phil!

Are you willing to share the tomato sauce recipe?

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tough crowd!!! :)

Looks great, Phil. I sent the whole post to the house for a try!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
JimDandysNYDan
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks great Poobah....Steak Pizziola is one of my favorites. I usually make mine with mushrooms, peppers & onions. I'm gonna have to try that escarole idea. Looks like Steak Pizziola is going to be on the menu this week. From one Italian to another "Bellissimo!"

Dan
JimDandysNYDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #20
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandysNYDan View Post
That looks great Poobah....Steak Pizziola is one of my favorites. I usually make mine with mushrooms, peppers & onions. I'm gonna have to try that escarole idea. Looks like Steak Pizziola is going to be on the menu this week. From one Italian to another "Bellissimo!"

Dan
I'm with Dan on the mushrooms and onions, but I'll pass on the peppers. Try adding a couple pieces of anchovie to the sauce. This works well for chicken cacciatore, too. But then, I'm Irish, so what do I know?

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #21
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
That looks fabulous Phil!

Are you willing to share the tomato sauce recipe?
Its in a few places.

This thread has some details.

And heres a copy from our recipe section. I'm afraid to post the link.. The spammers may jump it, and the google bots will index it, but the link should be at the top of the forum in a notice for anyone with a post count, (or in the subscribers sections). If you have the link, its in there under Brethren Sauces. If not, ask me or a mod for the link.

Italian style Tomato Sauce for pasta, etc..
Recipe Number: 1168299923
Contributor: BBQchef33
Preparation Time: 20 minutes.
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:
2 35 oz Cans Whole Tomatoes(prefer imported)
1 can tomato paste
7-10 cloves garlic choped fine to make 3-4 tablespoons.(more/less to taste) More or less depending on how garlicly u like it.
Medium Onion diced.
Olive oil
Heavy Tablespoon Dried Oregano
2-3 cups fresh basil, Either chopped into ribbon or torn into small pieces. chops to about 3/4 cup. Add more if u want.
3/4 tablespoon dried parsley(or fresh, a little more)
2 Dry bay leafs.
Salt & Black pepper to taste.

Cooking Instructions: Add olive oil to pot and saute onions until they begin to caramelize, add garlic. DO NOT BROWN!
Saute on low 1-2 minutes.
DO NOT BROWN.

Add juice from tomatoes and crush tomatoes by hand into pot. Add all herbs and stir on medium heat until sauce starts a low simmer.
DO NOT LET IT BOIL.
I add a few shakes black pepper and salt here
Add 1 can of tomato paste and continue to stir until paste is mixed in well.
DO NOT BOIL!
Allow to simmer ON LOW uncovered for about 10-15 minutes..
Oh yeah.. DO NOT BOIL!.

If you want a thicker/sweeter sauce, add another paste, or use a combination of crushed and whole tomatoes.

Thyme gives it a slighty sweater/aromatic flavor.. goes well if your using it for chicken parm... and especially if your making cacciatore(sp).

Sauce is ready in about 10-15 minutes. IMHO the freshest tasting tomato sauce is only HEATED, not cooked.(excludes meat sauce)
Did I mention DO NOT ALLOW IT TO BOIL.??
And its always better the next day. :)

Additional Comments:

A few things.
In my opinion, there is never a reason to open a jar of Ragu, Aunt Millies or any yukky jarred tomato sauce. Fresh Sauce can be made in the amount of time it takes to heat up a pot of water and cook the pasta.
Boiling tomato sauce is what makes it acidy or bitter. DONT BOIL IT.. Low simmer. If a large bubbles break, so does the sauce.

if it breaks, dont try dumping sugar in it to get rid of the acid. Consider it a mistake, and add more tomatoes to see if u can neutralize it a little. Bay leaf also helps. Additional carmelized vidalia onion, or a small amount of shreadded carrots also may neutralize the acidic mouth feel if u break the sauce.

This is for a chunky sauce, whole tomatoes can be replaced with Crushed tomaotes if u like a smoother sauce.

Texture of the sauce can be changed by using combinations of whole, crushed and/or puree'd tomatoes.

Crushed and puree'd tomaotes can come out like a pizza sauce if thats what u like.

To make a meat sauce, your cooking meat all day and keep it covered, low heat.. and guess what... DO NOT BOIL!!. VERY LOW SIMMER IS KEY.
For a meat sauce, I like to brown the meat a little first and drain the fat or at least some of it. Sausages get a run under the broiler first.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #22
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

That really looks great, Phil, but i have one question...

Canned mushrooms???? You balk at pre-made meatballs but you use canned mushrooms?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
BBQchef33

Fresh mushrooms in the sauce not only change the color to a richer and darker red, but changes the flavor of the sauce giving it a distinct earthyness. I have made it several times using baby bellas. I use that in other dishes (like chicken caticcore).

But when making a steak or veal piazziola, I like the flavor of the steak to be 'cleaner' if that makes sense, so the canned tomatoes don't change the flavor as much, but if thats the route you want, go for it, its just preference or try both and have 2 steaks.

BTW, this works great with a veal T-bone too.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #24
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Dang that looks so freakin good.............Way to go, Phil.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Looks great Phil!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #26
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
How many points is that?

LOL, now that was funny!

Looks real good Poobah.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #27
VGuilford
is Blowin Smoke!

Around here we call that smothered steak
www.moocowbbq.com
KCBS CBJ
Texas Smoker
Oklahoma Joe Original
Vermont Castings Gasser
Turkey fryer
Little Smokey Joe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MoFo Chapter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VGuilford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #28
Mad Max
is Blowin Smoke!

Great looking steak.
Weber 22.5 Blue Kettle (CL rescue)
Turkey Fryer
Superbly accurate, ferociously fast,
RED THERMAPEN

"Certified MOINK Ball Maker" 2008
www.southerntreats.blogspot.com
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Damn Phil, you go to the trouble of sharing your recipe and taking pictures and posting them and this is the kinda thanks you get??? I would never give you crap about not sticking with your diet... but ruining a perfectly good steak in the oven and the added insult of covering them in cow chit fungus is just unforgivable!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #30
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Damn Phil, you go to the trouble of sharing your recipe and taking pictures and posting them and this is the kinda thanks you get??? I would never give you crap about not sticking with your diet... but ruining a perfectly good steak in the oven and the added insult of covering them in cow chit fungus is just unforgivable!

ok, u can line up next to the other 3.

See post #16.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Tags
steak