Smoking a spiral cut ham

MRI_Guy

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying a spiral cut ham yesterday to smoke for Easter, rather than an uncut ham.

When smoking the spiral cut, should I cover the ham in foil to prevent it from drying out? I plan on smoking to an internal temp of 135-140*F.

I think that this will be the last time I ever grocery shop after recovering from a migraine............

If you cover it in foil, it won't know it is a smoker. Just as well put it in the oven.

Seems like smoking very long it would dry it out, so maybe do a short smoke, then into foil?

if you wrap in foil the smoke won't get to the meat. Now, having said that, I don't know how to solve your problem. I just remember reading about foil a couple days ago. sorry

Wrap that bad boy in cheese cloth and keep it damp. It'll get smoke that way.

Or take it back to th store and exchange it for a non-spiral ham.

We have a spiral sliced ham also. I'm figuing on pining the slices together using a few skewers, Wrap in foil leaving the top open to let the smoke in. This way you can add extra apple or pineapple juice toward the end.

I've done a couple spiral cut hams. I put them on an aluminum pie plate with the spiral cut end down. The weight compresses the cut slices together.

I've done several spiral sliced hams. Got one in the fridge right now as a matter of fact. All I do is put it on the smoker for a coulpe hours, usually when I'm cooking something else. The ones I get are already cooked so all your doing is just adding a little smoke flavor. They always turn out real good and never dry out. It isn't in there long enough to dry out. The first slice on the outside of the big end might get a little dry but that slice is mine. Is gets super smokey. I'll put my glaze on it about 30 minutes before I take it out so it will set up a little. Never had a compliant or one dry out. Of coarse your stuck with the thickness of the slices.My dad likes the flavor but wishes he could have a thick slice.

UDS.jpg

ham.jpg

I'm with hoosier... put it cut side down, and I've not had any problems.

If you have a good quality ham I wouldn't worry about it drying out. My buddy and his dad do Dearborn spiral hams on the Weber kettle. They set it up for indirect and go low heat with some wood chips. They have been doing them at holidays for a few years now and he says they have never had any complaints.

We use spiral cut for smoking
Use the pan method
Once it is done
pull it out lay it on its side
put Texas Pepper Jelly all over that Ham
Then use your Weed Burner to Caramelize the Jelly
MAN thats good Heck of a show

I've done several spiral sliced hams. Got one in the fridge right now as a matter of fact. All I do is put it on the smoker for a coulpe hours, usually when I'm cooking something else. The ones I get are already cooked so all your doing is just adding a little smoke flavor. They always turn out real good and never dry out. It isn't in there long enough to dry out. The first slice on the outside of the big end might get a little dry but that slice is mine. Is gets super smokey. I'll put my glaze on it about 30 minutes before I take it out so it will set up a little. Never had a compliant or one dry out. Of coarse your stuck with the thickness of the slices.My dad likes the flavor but wishes he could have a thick slice.

UDS.jpg

ham.jpg

Whoo these look good. I gotta smoke me a couple like this

Back