New owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshelden

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I finally made a move to a Bandera, been smoking on Brinkman Smokin Pit I think it was (horizontal) had tons of mods to it so It works like a champ. Wanted to try vertical and the room it will afford me.
I picked it up Monday night at Acadamy, then swung over to ACE picked up some 18g sheet (non zinc) used a pattern I found here and made the heat shield/deflector mod. Fired it up last night for about 6 hours, took some getting used to how it heats up etc...Burned off the paint in the FB so now it looks like a proper smoker should.

I'm still an all wood guy when it comes to smoking. I use a chimney and some charcoal to get it started then i'm 100% wood. With an abundance of Pecan wood for free and Peach from a local orchard I can't see buying the briquets. But that is me. I plan to get some expanded metal and after cooking today since 6am i can see it will be needed for sure for a FG.

I have in the smoker as I type a 14# turkey, with 2 fatties above it, rolled in Cajun seasoning and Cayane pepper. Above that I have 2 Tenderloins which I'll smoke for about an hour then I'll foil them for about 3 or so to make them falling apart. Later this afternoon I plan to do some ABT's all this is new to me (ABT's and Fatty's) as I pretty much just smoke brisket and ribs.

Now for a question:
I did the heat shield/deflector going into the SB, and I put a rack as low as i could and covered 1/2 of it with foil. I guess this is ok. I'm seeing a consistant SB temp of about 250-275. I can raise it by adding more wood of course. But I find that this smoker right now holds temps much easier than my horizontal did the first time I used it.

I look forward to all the threads, spent much of my morning absorbing info.

Charlie
BridgeCreek,OK

I have had mine (Bandara) for about a year and a half. I bought Spicewines Fire Basket and it works like a champ. If he is still making them, I would highly recommend.

Hi Charlie--

Sounds like you've done your research on that 'dera. These guys really know those cookers inside and out, so you're in the right place.

Welcome-- now head over to Cattle Call and introduce yourself!

Edit: Mod-- maybe this should be moved over to Cattle Call for him?

Woo-hoo! Another OKFO!
Welcome aboard, Charlie, and congrats on making the same move I did a few years back. After a short period of time to learn the 'Dera's fuel consumption rates and fire control techniques, you will LOVE yours!

As suggested, I'm going to move this thread over to the Cattle Call section where you will be more readily pounced upon by the Brethren/Sistren. ;)

Welcome!

Arlin

For future cooks to make clean up easier, put a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of the pit. Also take little pieces and line the edge of the water pan. Drippings will drip on the edge and burn especially on the side close to the fire box. When finished just peel the foil off and rinse the pan.

Welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back