• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

how to make a big hole - needing help from the handy

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
ok so i am building another drum. instead of all the vents, i want to do something like N8dawd did. I just want 1 big vent. my step bit goes to 1.5 inches, I want to make a 2.5 or 3 inch hole.

My thought is to copy a 3 inch circle onto the drum and just use the bit to make the hole then extend it to make it larger.

thoughts? ideas?

Ive made a decent looking 2 1/2" hole using the edge of my grinder. It wasnt absolutely perfect, but once I welded the tubing in the hole it looked pretty sanitary. Layout your cutting line and make a few passes with the edge of your grinder to make a "pilot". Once you see the steel starting to turn blue, you will know you are almost thru the metal.

Buy a hole saw:biggrin:

Use an angle grinder or reciprocating saw on a drawn circle. The saw would be easier. Even a jigsaw with a metal blade would probably work.

Grinding out with the bit is going to suck some ass.

i have no power tools, but the drill. thats why i am looking for help

If all youve got is a Drill, go with the hole saw. You can nab one at Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks. I will probably do that job and maybe one more, but it will get her done. Aside from that... the other option is a 20 gauge, if thats too small go with a 16 gauge.:mrgreen:

i vote for the hole saw.. or a roto-tool.

or if thoese are not options, drill lots holes around the circumference, and whack it outt with a ball peen hammer.

But im a big advocate of the right tool for the job. it will save you alot of time, frustration, crappy workmanship and busted knuckles.

Blue tip wrench

MOUCUT1.jpg

nice brauma.. im sure we all got one of them in our back pocket. :wink::redface:

One other option is to find an Electrician and make him your best friend in the world and ask if he has any Greenlee punches that go that big. That is what I used on my keg conversions and they are slicker than poop thru a goose

Many holes drilled around the perimeter is probably best then. Then a simple hole saw would probably open it up.

Jigsaws are pretty useful and cheap. If you're in west county pm me and I might be able to get you a tool.

One other option is to find an Electrician and make him your best friend in the world and ask if he has any Greenlee punches that go that big. That is what I used on my keg conversions and they are slicker than poop thru a goose
That would make the cleanest ho' IMHO. I've had mixed results with ho'saws in steel. Especially big ones. Pretty easy to dull the cheap ones down if you're not careful. Oil the cutting teeth frequently while cutting.

Still, might be easier to find a friendly trademans with a Greenlee punch who'll trade makin' a ho' for a fatty...

You could probably get a nibbling tool that will cut 18 guage steel for about $8.

Would make the cleanest hole with Greenlee for sure. That is what I used on my sink
IMG_2044.jpg

Hole saws work good, with powerful drill at slow to medium speed. Use the side handle if you have one. Helps control drill better.
Good luck.

talked to neighbor today, he has hole saw, will lend it to me when i am ready

Back