MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #16
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

I just went to the local American Legion and they sounded pretty positive about letting me use their kitchen. If you join, it improves your chances I think. It has to be approved at their meeting next week though. Might want to try that out JD. Good luck.

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
s.U.D.S. (small 30 gal. UDS)
UDS
Brinkman vertical Smoke 'n Pit
Traeger BBQ100
NorcoRednecks-UDS 85 gal/remod
[I]TemequeBBQ[/I]-insulated vert smoker
Garth57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #17
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Bump:
How are things going? Any new info to report?
Steve
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #18
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabntmkr1 View Post
Bump:
How are things going? Any new info to report?
Steve
Not lookin' good here in Duvall. All the churches said no thanks...I'm gonna start hittin' up the local bakeries, grocery stores, and restaurants next.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #19
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth57 View Post
I just went to the local American Legion and they sounded pretty positive about letting me use their kitchen. If you join, it improves your chances I think. It has to be approved at their meeting next week though. Might want to try that out JD. Good luck.
Thanks bro...good idea...I'm retired Navy and a Gulf War Vet...maybe I can check out the local VFW as well...
Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #20
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Not lookin' good here in Duvall. All the churches said no thanks...I'm gonna start hittin' up the local bakeries, grocery stores, and restaurants next.

Why do you need a catering license. Can you not do personal chef work in WA?

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #21
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
See if there is a cooking school close by. Community College, etc... I am in talks with the local CC's culinary school to use thier kitchen for a nominal fee.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #22
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Why do you need a catering license. Can you not do personal chef work in WA?
Hmmm...that's a very good question. I do not have a "catering" license though...it's a general business license from the City of Duvall. In order to do catering of any kind in King County you need an approved prep kitchen.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthserv...dBusiness.aspx

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthserv.../catering.aspx

Can I prepare food from my kitchen at home?

No food service can be approved in a home kitchen, unless there are two separate kitchens. A commercial kitchen must be totally separate from the kitchen used by the people who live there. An approved kitchen in a home would have to meet all of the requirements for any commercial food service. These requirements are detailed in the Food Service Plan Guide.
As an alternative to constructing your own kitchen, the catering business could be operated out of an already approved kitchen. All food preparation would take place in the approved food service. Restaurant kitchens that are not open all the time or that have extra work space could possibly be utilized. Some church, school or community center kitchens may also be acceptable. The "shared" kitchen situations are evaluated on an individual basis.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #23
NorthwestBBQ

John your house is spotless. Build a separate kitchen in the back yard. The whole catering license thing is about the government getting their hands in your pockets and controlling you.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 AM   #24
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

When my HD rep asked where I was going to do prep work I told her it all happens on site just like any BBQ. She said, " I get it you buy the burgers, pork, sausages,ribs, chicken etc. from the butcher or cash and carry then season it on the grill as you cook ...right!?" I said yup thats exactly what we do. She checked of the box and went to the next part of the questioning. Now I know things are not the same over here but can you try something going that route?

The next part was transport and refigeration-
At the time I was using ice chest to transport my raw goods and that's not a problem with them, the only thing needed it a way to check and keep record of temps. I'l look and see if I stil have a PDF copy of the log sheets.

Quote:
Hi Alvin

Good to meet you at the weekend.

I promised you I would send you electronic copies of the temperature log sheets I gave you. I have revised them slightly to reflect event catering. Please give them a whirl...I would be interested in feedback on the forms - good and bad!

I must stress that these forms are not a legally prescribed format ...you do not have to use them. They are offered as help only as they cover the recording of information EHO's tend to request!

The photos attached are of the sink and wash hand basin rigs that we talked about.
www.clickonstore.co.uk

Something along these lines should keep you serve you well and make life easier to boot!

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik....1&disp=vah&zw

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik....2&disp=vah&zw

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik....3&disp=vah&zw

I don't mess much with coleslaw but it's easy enough to buy in if needed.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #25
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
When my HD rep asked where I was going to do prep work I told her it all happens on site just like any BBQ. She said, " I get it you buy the burgers, pork, sausages,ribs, chicken etc. from the butcher or cash and carry then season it on the grill as you cook ...right!?" I said yup thats exactly what we do. She checked of the box and went to the next part of the questioning. Now I know things are not the same over here but can you try something going that route?

The next part was transport and refigeration-
At the time I was using ice chest to transport my raw goods and that's not a problem with them, the only thing needed it a way to check and keep record of temps. I'l look and see if I stil have a PDF copy of the log sheets.

I don't mess much with coleslaw but it's easy enough to buy in if needed.
Thanks Doc...I'll give my local HD rep a call and see what he has to say.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #26
big brother smoke

Quote:
Hmmm...that's a very good question. I do not have a "catering" license though...it's a general business license from the City of Duvall. In order to do catering of any kind in King County you need an approved prep kitchen.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthserv...dBusiness.aspx

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthserv.../catering.aspx

Can I prepare food from my kitchen at home?

No food service can be approved in a home kitchen, unless there are two separate kitchens. A commercial kitchen must be totally separate from the kitchen used by the people who live there. An approved kitchen in a home would have to meet all of the requirements for any commercial food service. These requirements are detailed in the Food Service Plan Guide.
As an alternative to constructing your own kitchen, the catering business could be operated out of an already approved kitchen. All food preparation would take place in the approved food service. Restaurant kitchens that are not open all the time or that have extra work space could possibly be utilized. Some church, school or community center kitchens may also be acceptable. The "shared" kitchen situations are evaluated on an individual basis.

That is standard language for most, I believe. When doing personal chef work, you are cooking on-site by contract for private functions. Next month when you are here, we will discuss in full detail or call me, info is on the website.