Brinkmann Mod Results (with PICS)

R

Rando991

Great results are coming from my Brinkmann Mod (see pics). I'm using a Pitmaster IQue for keeping the temp going and a wireless meat thermometer. Cooked a brisket (KC Style) and porkbutt (Eastern NC Style) for the office lunch 2 weeks ago, and then since the brisket was so good and I didn't get to bring any leftovers home :cry:, I smoked another brisket last weekend. OMG, hate to brag, but such tender, flavorful meat haunts my dreams...and take note, my favorite joint is OK Joe's in KC....anyways, nothing fancy on the rub, i.e. no secret ingredients...just using slather before the rub and low and slow (9-10 hrs on 4lb brisket and pork), hot and fast when just the pork shoulder. Here's my rig:

Edit: and obtw, now a sand vice water convert...and because of the meat probe, no more basting and no more TC with foil (used to do all that).

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited by a moderator:
(above) In the top picture, I put a gage temp probe near the grate and cut 3 holes in the lid and put a Weber damper over it.

(below) Here's the other pics of the mods...

I used Black high temp gasket maker instead of the orange or red (I plan to re-paint the whole cooker this spring).

The Charcoal pan sits on 3 screws where the legs used to be attached.

There is a rubber donut for the probe wires to go thru and you can see on the grill itself I put a little clip with hole to hold the temp probe for the Pitmaster probe.

I had to buy 4 U Bolts to get enough brackets to use on the 2 handles of the grill.

The water pan is not shown, but it has foil, then 3/4 sand, then foil for disposing drippings.

Also, there's no closeup of the wooden handles, but I screwed ends on them to keep the dowel type handles from working out.

Attachments

• Blower Nozzle.jpg
    Blower Nozzle.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Bottom exterior air pipe.jpg
    Bottom exterior air pipe.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Bottom with pipe.jpg
    Bottom with pipe.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Charcoal pan with holes.jpg
    Charcoal pan with holes.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 181
  • Grill and Probe holder.jpg
    Grill and Probe holder.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Lid Gasket.jpg
    Lid Gasket.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Pin Catches.jpg
    Pin Catches.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Probe hole.jpg
    Probe hole.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 183
And I learned how to do this from this forum. So thanks all you modders and BBQ'ers! I would post pics of the food I've done on this, but I'm so dang hungry by the time it comes off, I forget the pics...then it's been eaten.

I love my modified brinkmann gourmet. Glad to see some ECB love out there! Way to go!

I was wondering what the pipe nipple in the base is for ?? EDIT : looking again I see they must have changed the design, mine has the air intake in the center of the base, they must be doing one in the side now ?

Saw you had the IQ plumbed into the door and pondered that, but saw the street ell aiming it's discharge down and understood then :).

Some folks swear a mini fire basket is a great addition. I have a free roadside one to mod when I get some free time. You can't get any cheaper than free hehe.

I had my dad make me a charcoal basket for mine. Make it even more efficient for longer cooks (especially with lump ). I highly recommend adding one to your mods!

I was wondering what the pipe nipple in the base is for ?? EDIT : looking again I see they must have changed the design, mine has the air intake in the center of the base, they must be doing one in the side now ?

Saw you had the IQ plumbed into the door and pondered that, but saw the street ell aiming it's discharge down and understood then :).

Some folks swear a mini fire basket is a great addition. I have a free roadside one to mod when I get some free time. You can't get any cheaper than free hehe.

I originally had the iq blowing thru the nipple underneath up thru the charcoal, bit now that it blows down, I use the nipple to let air in at the bottom when I need to raise the temp.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I had my dad make me a charcoal basket for mine. Make it even more efficient for longer cooks (especially with lump ). I highly recommend adding one to your mods!

Yes share a picture of it please!

Also, I bought the electric base for the electric Brinmann, which had that hole in it for the heating element. So they'd why I was trying to blow thru that with the iq, but it seems to work better blowing down on the coals

Back