Buckboard Bacon Brine Question

MAB52

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a 11.5 # Shoulder that we were going to BBQ and pull for a family dinner and it has been postponed for a week. I want to take the shoulder and try a BBB with it instead. Can I use a regular salt and brown sugar dry brine instead of TQ or would a pickling type salt work. The stores here don't carry TQ and if I'm going to do this I need to get it started tonight. Any advice?

I have a 11.5 # Shoulder that we were going to BBQ and pull for a family dinner and it has been postponed for a week. I want to take the shoulder and try a BBB with it instead. Can I use a regular salt and brown sugar dry brine instead of TQ or would a pickling type salt work. The stores here don't carry TQ and if I'm going to do this I need to get it started tonight. Any advice?

Sorry, to do a long time cure, you need some curing agents (nitrates, nitrites) in with a salt carrier.

You can sure brine or corn a shoulder with a salt/sugar solution, but that will only buy you a couple of days. Canning salts are just a fine grind version (much like table salt) of a pure salt, meaning no iodine or any kind of additives are in there.

OK, that's what I was afraid of but I thought I would try. In the freezer it goes and I will order some TQ. Thanks for helping clear that up for me.

OK, that's what I was afraid of but I thought I would try. In the freezer it goes and I will order some TQ. Thanks for helping clear that up for me.
Do yourself a favor and order some Hi Mountain and keep it in the pantry for just such an occasion....

Back