MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Default Farmers Market 2013

Last summer was my first farmer's market and it went really well. I was asked back this summer so of course I jumped at the opportunity. Our first day was supposed to be a week from yesterday. Unfortunately there were thunderstorms galore so the people running the market wisely cancelled last week.
So yesterday was the first day and what a beautiful day it was. Kids in these parts are not out of school yet so I planned on only a so-so turnout. I went light on the ribs and cooked 24 racks hoping some people would show up. The market starts at 8:30AM sharp, runs until 12:30pm and to my surprise I had sold 10 racks in the first half hour. I couldn't believe it but by 11:AM we were sold out. Had to turn a bunch of people away.

Now the really cool part...I get a call from a friend saying "dude you're famous". I said don't F with me what's up? Apparently some famous food critic from Philadelphia was there and bought a rack. This morning he posted on Twitter the following.....I couldn't believe it..
https://twitter.com/CraigLaBan/statu...57949529624576

Honestly I had never heard of this guy but some people in the industry said he's the biggest food critic around. I took a shot and emailed him. Much to my surprise he wrote back...said he really liked my food and I should probably make a few more racks next week since he has more than a few Twitter followers

Anyway I'm certainly not trying to brag at all....just wanted to share with my Brethren some cool things that can happen in the BBQ world. Oh by the way....these are the smokers I used at the market. One of my buddies said "I can't believe people would eat ANYTHING that was in those greasy trash cans..."

Last edited by daninnewjersey; 09-05-2017 at 08:46 AM..
daninnewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

phooey - BRAG IT UP dude! that's saying a lot - great job, there's a lot to be proud about right there. I'm glad you have reposted your successes, I enjoyed your posts last year. Keep it up Brethren

Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Big Johnson
Knows what a fatty is.

That's so awesome Dan. I'm glad to hear it went so well for you. I myself am going to try and hit the Farmers market in my town this year and see how it goes!
Big Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
That's so awesome Dan. I'm glad to hear it went so well for you. I myself am going to try and hit the Farmers market in my town this year and see how it goes!
Thanks guys for the kind words. While I'm no Big Mista...I have learned a few things. I'd be more than happy to share what little I know......

Old 06-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
BBQinMI
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
Thanks guys for the kind words. While I'm no Big Mista...I have learned a few things. I'd be more than happy to share what little I know......
What kind of permit or food license did you have to get? Do you have insurance(just in case)?

What do you sell the ribs for?
BBQinMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQinMI View Post
What kind of permit or food license did you have to get? Do you have insurance(just in case)?
What do you sell the ribs for?
I had to get licensed through the health dept. They want to know EVERYTHING you're going to sell, how you're cooking it, keeping it warm, etc. You can't cook at home...only in an inspected kitchen. Luckily I'm able to use the kitchen at the restaurant where the market is so that's good. Insurance is a must....It's like $50/month....a bargain.

Regarding the ribs...It's kind of a higher end market...so $25/rack

Old 06-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is great to hear.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats dude!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Who do you get your insurance from? Type of coverage? Thanks
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDAL View Post
Who do you get your insurance from? Type of coverage? Thanks
It's through The Hartford. I'd have to dig up the policy but it basically covers food sales, liability for some idiot burning themselves on my smokers, etc.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

That's very cool! You're living the dream. Is there another Farmers Market close by, maybe you can add another day or two a week of smoking ribs...
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

Congrats. Great compliment.

Keep it up, make some money, and beautify those smokers.
A good looking smoker will draw in a lot of passers-by that would otherwise keep walking.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I would not touch those smokers.

they just shout of good old down home simple cooking.

I would leave them be
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke House Moe View Post
beautify those smokers.
A good looking smoker will draw in a lot of passers-by that would otherwise keep walking.
While I do appreciate the kind words I'm gonna go with the old saying..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it.."

People seem to be drawn to my magic trash cans....

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Badlands BBQ
Got Wood.

Cool story... Keep up the good work! Where in South Jersey?

[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][LIST][*][SIZE=2][COLOR=Navy][B]Humphrey's Cubed Pint
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][*][COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=3][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Primo Oval XL[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][COLOR=green][SIZE=3][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Green]GMG Jim Bowie[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/LIST]
Badlands BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote