Instructor $$$

Dr_KY

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What would be a fair price to go with in this situation.

Showing 10-15 people some basic BBQ and smoking skills at the group leaders home. I'll be using my EZ-up in case of bad weather and bringing along a gas grill. Reason for the gasser is I need to be able to clean up and remove my property at the end of the event otherwise I would bring the Weber and ProQ. I also can't bring the beast as there is no room for it.

The day looks to be about pre smoking a pork shoulder and leg of lamb at home then warming, slicing, serving and talking about the 'who-what-where-when and why' of the smoking process.

Beer can chicken- full prep and cook on the day = two chickens.

Sauce- Instruct/advise and make on the day.

Cornbread- instruct and make on the day.

ABT's- make on the day aprx 20 peppers.

This is a womans group that searched me out through a friend and they may or may not have partners with them.

Any other quick menu items to suggest?

Any idea on price for something like this.

Hummm I was thnking 10-15 a head plus the cost of food?

Last edited:
Figure out how much your time is worth per hour. Then add cost of supplies and other expenses. That's route I would take. Then divide that by # of people.

Good point.

These women are not BBQ enthusiast but they enjoy cooking in fact most of them dislike BB because of the 'quality standard' they have been exposed to over the years. The age range is 45-55.

Hmm surounded by women in my age group and good food I wouldnt pay more the 15.00 per person Oh wait their paying you. Damm im in the wrong bussines

Hummm I was thnking 10-15 a head plus the cost of food?

I really think you need to charge for you time on making the food. Not just the food. Don't sell yourself short. You are doing a lot of work and deserve every penny its worth. People that give classes here charge more then 5 times that much on average. Of course these aren't competitors looking for tips but they are learning just the same. Just don't sell yourself short. You want to go home that night happy not beat and wondering why you bothered.

Thank you I'm still a bit unsure.

I think it's because I feel it easy and therefor shouldn't be to expensive. Then again for a magicians his work is easy as he knows his job but we all pay out the ear to see him work.

Then again for a magicians his work is easy as he knows his job but we all pay out the ear to see him work.

There is your mantra when you go to give your number. Let that run through your head.

This is a womans group that searched me out through a friend and they may or may not have partners with them.

Ought oh women are seeking out Dr_Ky! Shhhhh Dont tell Rib Girl! :icon_shock1:

I would go with a per head charge with a minimum charge. What if the partners DO show up? All of them.

I don't have answers but I'm interested in how this turns out..

For a while I had thought there there may be a profitable side business in teaching BBQ/grilling on a one-on-one level.. Discussed with Sledneck a few times but to date have not taken the idea any further.

Kind of a gig that wives and adult children might be willing to spend decent $ on their husbands and fathers for birthdays, father's day etc when they can't think of creative gifts..

Let them decide what they would like to learn how to cook better..could be burgers or steaks all the way to ribs or brisket..cook on their equipment (may be a gasser, kettle etc) or maybe bring a BGE, kettle, WSM etc. and teach them the basics of BBQ while they do the cooking and the instructor offering tips, techniques etc.

Never know.. people are willing to spend decent money on things that sound cool and are not easy to evaluate cost. It's all in how you market it.

Last edited:
Great idea. We talked about the things they wanted to learn and came up with the pork, lamb and sauces. I would love to put brisket in the mix or even silverside but tat would be more like catering for this deal thus raising the prices even more. Coleslaw is another one they would like to learn and being that I don't make it I'll have to wing it.lol

Al, have you thoughtabout this as being a new niche for your busines??

It seems that grilling and BBQ are a rare phenomenon in Britain. Could you set up a grilling/BBQ class cooking common peices of meat on a grill? Maybe like a Weber?

How about UDS clinics?

The instructor income may help you out in between festivals, and those long winter months.

I wouldn't sell yourself short. Think of the hundreds if not thousands of hours of BBQ experience you will impart to your students.

You pricing isn't right until your potential customers are slightly uncomfortable: 1) If they feel they are getting a deal you are way too low. 2) If they feel they are getting ripped off, you are too high. 3) You want to be in the range where they will pay your price, but are slightly uncomfortable at first. After they see the presentation though, they will be relieved that their money was well spent and excited about all the new info they have received and can apply.

You are setting a precedent for a relatively unknown commodity. Just be sure to not sell it short. Better to be on the exclusive side price-wise than totally inclusive.

MY thought......They are not paying on for your time and material, they are paying for your knowledge. There are many people that can cook a shoulder and serve to the women, but what makes your time worth more? If I was to do this I wouldnt touch it for lest then 500 net for the day. It is ton of work and you are sharing knowledge that you have gained over years of work. Thats why cooking classes are so much money, not because the costs, but for what you are getting out of it.

Wanted to drop this and say thank you to the Brethren for the advice, direction and shared knowledge. In my opinion the evening was a great success and I was able to share the love of Q as per the Brethren code. :cool:
The home of the host was a huge beautiful spread on a hillside and they were gracious enough to let my do my magic in there beautiful recently overhauled kitchen.

I received several emails this morning and thought I would share one with you all.

Hi Dr S,

Just to thank you very, very much for all the time and trouble you went to for last night. I don't think any of us could have imagined it would have been such an interesting and entertaining evening with quite so much variety of wonderful food demonstrated - and eaten! That corn and cornbread was a revelation to me! Everyone was saying to me how fantastic it was and commented on the nice way you spoke about your family too.

I feel especially bad now for sounding penny-pinching the other day and hope you at least made some profit. Like I said last night, I think that kind of evening for private parties could be quite a hit - especially in houses with nice kitchens!

When I have more time I'll send a couple of the pictures.

Many, many thanks,
------

Hey Funk- The Soul bread was a HUGE hit!!

Everyone- When I read this email it showed that every single one of you that posted in this thread were spot-on from the top to the bottom!!

Dame this place is amazing thanks to it's members.

Doc

Back