Butt and salmon question

M

Merlinspop

Hi all - wanna smoke a 6.68 lb butt and a salmon filet tomorrow. Eat time around 3.

I know that internal temp and meat looseness (bone looseness, 'buttah' feel) is more crucial than actual cook time, but I do need a genaral idea of how much time to budget for both. Cooking on a UDS. I'm thinking I oughta go ahead and get the butt started around 11pm tonight. I'm not planning to foil; just pull it at about 200* then into the cooler until I pull it just before eating. Reheat if necessary.

I figure the salmon will be about 2 hours. Does that sound right? For this I was just going to brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle a little kosher salt and cracked pepper on top just before putting it on in the morning (my son prefers salmon room temp so it can be done early).

Sounds like a plan? Thanks!

Salmon is pretty quick, if the temps are for a warm smoke, you are gonna be fine at 2 hours. If you are up closer to 300F or higher, that time could be closer to 1 hour. Salmon takes up smoke pretty fast and dries up quick.

Bruce, sounds about right on the butt. You have the luxury of coolering it if done early. It can stay in double wrapped foil in a cooler full of towels or crunched up newspaper to hours. Good luck and let us know how it comes out tomorrow.

Back