Salmon Question

G

gpalasz

Well, after putting Salmon off for a couple years, I plan to grill on some planks this weekend. My question, I have seen a lot of recipes, many use a dry brine for a few hours then rinse off. Others just throw on the plank w/ seasoning. Can you tell a difference...is the brine prefered? I brine poultry on occasion and notice a subtle difference...is this the same for salmon? I will prob experiment and see first hand, but am curious as to others opinions. Thanks,

I've never brined salmon and always had good luck especially planked. If it's store-bought, farm-raised it should have enough fat in it and should be plenty tender and juicy as long as you don't over cook it. If you're trying to add some flavor maybe the brine could act as a sort-of marinade I guess.
Let us know if you brine or not and how things turn out.

Sams has some nice looking salmon...so guess I will pick some up for this weekend...The weber grill book has a hoisten/mustard glaze recipe I may try..Pron to follow

What I do with the planks are to soak them in water for and hour or more and then spray some Pam or cooking oil on one side and lay the Salmon filet on it, this keeps the fish from sticking. Then cook direct Medium heat until the fish flakes @ 20-25 minutes.
The Cedar and Alder planks are very fragrant and doesn't overpower the flavor of the fish. I will recommend Dizzy Pig Raging River, but also like to keep it simple. This site has a lot of tasty recipes!http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/recipes.htm

K.I.S.S--Go with a real basic seasoning. I wouldn't brine it. No sense it masking the flavor of the fish, especially on a plank.

I guess living here in Seattle I don't understand why folks enjoy planking salmon to cook it. And I certainly never understood wrapping it in foil!

I place wild salmon right on a hot grill, lightly oiled (canola or grape seed) skin-side down - and reduce heat on gas, or move coals so it's less intense - using the built-up heat in the cast iron grates to cook the fish. (by the way, grilling fish on wire or stainless steel grates will generally produce fish that sticks to the grate - cast iron holds the heat, while the others transfer it and the fish is more likely to stick)
Cook that skin brother. Keep the hood closed and after just about 5 minutes or so - I do the finger test to see if it's cooking. I may place a sheet of aluminum foil over the top to hold heat on it...but not under it...I'm not frying it!

If I'm on my gasser then I use wood chips in the smoker box, or on my infrared I can toss them right on the infrared emitter - to provide smoke flavor. If I'm cooking on my CB 940X then I certainly use hardwood charcoal and enjoy experimenting with different wood to add flavor - alder, apple, mixtures - or even herbs like rosemary or my favorite tarragon!

Of course the only seasoning I like is salt and pepper with a bit of butter to finish it. That's when I'm grilling. Smoking is an entirely different process.

When the salmon is firm I test with the tip of my long spatula to see if I can slide it between the flesh and skin - and lift the entire fillet with either one or a combination of two spats. If the fillet is smaller, I'll flip it over on the grates to caramelize some of the top before serving.

Meanwhile I crisp up that skin, maybe add some sauce to it or baste with olive oil or butter, and it can be lifted off the grates with the spatula. I flip it sometimes to get it extra crispy. Sometimes I'll eat it while I'm cooking, sometimes I'll slice it into small thins slices and garnish the salmon with it. The stuff tastes as good as pork rinds or crispy friend chicken skin!

I'm also not a big fan of farm raised salmon...it just doesn't seem to have the flavor and texture I enjoy with the wild varieties. And I'm not talking the expensive stuff outta Alaska, just the ordinary sockeye or chum salmon is great for the grill.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I have some experimenting to do. Look forward to trying different techniques.

I don't brine unless I am smoknig salmon. If you do, be careful not to over brine as it will take on the flavor much quicker than chicken. 1-2 hours will impart a lot of flavor.

Soak the plank, place plank on hot grill, wait until the plank starts to smoke and pop. Then put salmon on plank skin side down, close lid, cook for 15 min or until done to your liking. No need to turn and Don't Over Cook!

Back