Planked salmon question.

B

bbqjoe

It been quite awhile since I've done one of these.
I'm going to do one up for a special guest of ours tonight.
I'll do it on the webber.
I'm just trying to remember about how long it takes.

Did Chinook fillets (1 each time) twice last weekend, mid 80's out. Soaked the planks a few hours, hot freakin' fire, took about 35 minutes. Thicker fillets, bye the way. Sooo good! Helps that I yanked the fish out of the Columbia River that morning.

It been quite awhile since I've done one of these.
I'm going to do one up for a special guest of ours tonight.
I'll do it on the webber.
I'm just trying to remember about how long it takes.

Cook it to 135* internal or when it looks cooked through and flakes....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

big filet.. inch thick in the center.. 45-60 minutes.

i slather the plank facing the fish with Saucy Susan(peach/apricot reserves.) Give it heavy coat. Adds a nice sweetness to the fish and removes any bitterness u may get from the smoke making its way thru the plank.

Well I pulled it off just fine.
Used some malt vinegar, a little sprinkle of kikkoman, granulated garlic, salt and black pepper. Smeared it with honey, then added some slices of pickled sushi ginger and slight sprinkle of cayenne and some thin sliced lemon.
The three of them killed it, and it was all I could do to keep them from trying to eat the plank.
It wasn't real thick, pulled it at about 35 minutes.

Sorry, no time for pics on this one.:sad:

big filet.. inch thick in the center.. 45-60 minutes.

i slather the plank facing the fish with Saucy Susan(peach/apricot reserves.) Give it heavy coat. Adds a nice sweetness to the fish and removes any bitterness u may get from the smoke making its way thru the plank.

I like the sound of this Phil! Do you remove the skin on the filet for this recipe?

Also, I've seen recipes that call for heating the plank until it starts smoking and then placing the filet on, I tried it and couldn't tell any difference. How do you all like to plank?

Brian

i usually remove the skin when i do cedar plank. I like just taking a piece off with a spatula and scarfin it down. ...(I leave the skin on for plain grilling though.)

Top of the fillet gets some rub(of choice) and a light glazing of more saucy susan. Serve right off he plank. The wife and i have been know to just sit in front of the plank and devour a whole fillet with the kids.. Like eating a cake out of the box with a fork. :)

Never heard of preheating the plank though.

for those that are wondering. Saucy Susan is normaly used as a Ham glaze. I use it on chicken, fish, and pork. It usually in the market shelves with the hot sauces and 'unusual' condiments.. like horseradish sauces, tobascos, etc.. Sometimes it near the teryaki because it can be used like duck sauce too.

51B2313OtmL._AA280_.jpg

Hey Phil whats the flavor of this stuff like? Is it all sweet, or is there some sort of heat element to it? Also, if it is all sweet can I add some rooster or some other heat source?

Thanks

Kev

I like the sound of this Phil! Do you remove the skin on the filet for this recipe?

Also, I've seen recipes that call for heating the plank until it starts smoking and then placing the filet on, I tried it and couldn't tell any difference. How do you all like to plank?

Brian

I preheat the plank for cooking scallops, oysters, polenta, brie and some veggies.

Hey Phil whats the flavor of this stuff like? Is it all sweet, or is there some sort of heat element to it? Also, if it is all sweet can I add some rooster or some other heat source?

Thanks

Kev

Its sweet. No heat. I add plain lemon pepper or Dizzy pigs Raging River most of the time..

Dizzy pigs Swamp Venom works too, and Jamaican firewalk( which is EXCELLENT on salmon) if u want to really kick some heat in.

Try planking some shrimp sometime. They only take a few minutes. You have to eat them RIGHT NOW as the hot plank will keep cooking them. I make mini-planks with 5-6 jumbos for appetizers.

Back