MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #16
Kirk
Babbling Farker

Griff's Meatloaf (recipe swiped from the BBQ4U forum - the guys there seem to dig it)

1/2 cup bread crumbs (I use Progresso Italian)
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onions, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 pounds ground beef
1 pound Jimmy Dean Hot sausage
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
5 or 6 dashes of Worchestershire
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Saute the diced onions in the oil until they turn golden (about 10 minutes). Soak the bread crumbs in the milk for a couple minutes. Mix everything together and form into loaf. I smoke the loaf on a piece of parchment paper cut as close to the size of the loaf as possible. With the WSM that allows all the grease to drain into the water pan and the smoke penetrates the bottom of the loaf making a smoke ring there as well. I smoke at 300-350* until the loaf hits 170-175*. Sometimes I put a red sauce (ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard to taste) on top for the last half hour or so.

The best part of meatloaf are the sandwiches made with the leftovers.

Griff

Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #17
hrchdog
On the road to being a farker

If you want more than just the top smoked place the meatloaf on parchment paper inside the smoker without using a pan, grease will run off and the smoke has access to the top, sides and it even penetrates the paper some. I do it this way all the time.
hrchdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #18
smokeypig
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Papa Stu

Try 50/50 ground beef (chuck, unidentifiable parts, whatever) and ground pork (could even use ground butt). better yet go with beef, pork and sausage (as in fatty???).

I've never done a meat loaf on a smoker, but jeez... couldn't be that bad, could it?
Love is in the air! No, wait. That's Barbecue. Nevermind
----------------------
LANG 36D, NB Black Diamond, Purveyor of Fine Swine and Originator of the Fatty, Right-Wing whackadoo (and according to the Dept of Homeland Security, quite possibly a threat to National Security)
smokeypig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
JimT
Full Fledged Farker

Default The Only Way

Definetly go with the parchment paper direct on the grate (no pan.) Totally awsome smoke, and no grease!

Oh, what the parchment paper does, is keep the loaf from sticking to the grate.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #20
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks thanks thanks
Sorry I have not replied before now but I had some computer issues.
All good ideas
I will start playing with some of these ideas
Thanks bros
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #21
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Good thread Cracker.

This just became Roadmap material

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #22
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeypig
better yet go with beef, pork and sausage (as in fatty???).
This is the basis of teh family meatloaf made here.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #23
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I smoke meatloaf in my WSM using something I found at Wally World. It looks like expanded metal (aluminum) and is round like a pizza pan or about 12X16 size. The diamonds are only about 1/4x1/2 inch and do not let the meat fall through but let the grease drain away and you get a nice smoke ring all the way around. I just form a loaf the best I can and flop it on the metal sheet with a cookie sheet or cutting board under it and then slide onto smoker rack like a pizza. They are acually sturdy enough that I have put them in the dishwasher and came out fine, but they are disposable. The only drawback is they are flimsy so you have to have something under it to move the loaf. I think they were like a buck or less. Company name is Oscarware. Disposable Grill Topper.

Here is a link to it I found, but I bought it at Wally World.

http://www.barbecue-store.com/images...rilltopper.jpg
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote