MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:09 PM   #1
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Teaching The Younger Generation about BBQ and Smoking

Good Evening,

Sorry I don't have a lot of pictures, but I will seek some out from others in attendance who did take them. I was extremely overwhelmed with the tasks at hand.

First I want to personally thank Michael Trump of Oakridge BBQ Rubs for the donation of the sample rubs in my last order, and Chad Warner of Yes Dear BBQ for the discounted price of Yes Dear Competition BBQ sauce. Your products simply put the flavors over the top. I also wish to thank my friend Matt for the use of his awesome smoker set-up.

As many of the long time member may know, I am often invited by the culinary teachers to present classes on salt, brining, curing meats, and making sausage in the artisan handcrafted manner.

Recently the school was having a scholarship fundraiser and the teachers were asked to cook the meats in the oven and slather them with sauce for a BBQ luncheon sale. Appalled by this idea; the teachers worked out a way to include making the meats in a real smoker.

Plans were underway, people who sit behind desk having no knowledge of how to legally bring the plan to fruition, sometimes even making up regulations that they thought might exist.

I was able to satisfy their request with already existing Health Department Licenses, ANSI Certifications, DOT Certifications, and anything else they may have thrown us.

It was a "Win-Win" situation, we were able to work with the culinary teachers, and their respective students, as a guest tutor.

The students learned how to create and a basic BBQ rub, and how to create a BBQ sauce, before using the donated items.

Some students worked with me all day prepping all of the meats, cutting, trimming, and removing all undesirable aspects of the proteins. These students relentlessly removed the membranes on the ribs.

The remaining students worked diligently to assemble, and make many side dishes to accompany the meats. All of the students and culinary staff assisted in the final preparation processes.

Combined efforts from all parties involved, from start to finish, truly made this a success and a great learning experience; not only for the students, but also for myself.

Remember we teach best by our own example. Many of today's younger generation are lost and consumed in their own personal electronic worlds.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

This is so great! I love what you are going. Keep up the good work.

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
[url]https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack[/url]
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2020, 02:37 AM   #3
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Great project!

That looks like Butch’s Smack your Lips BBQ’s new cooker.

Is it?

If so, I can attest that some very good BBQ has come off of that smoker, and that that cooker is designed to cook an entire semi reefer full of ribs during a 3 day competition for their “bulk feed” operation that sells BBQ platters to the public during competitions.

Butch’s daughter Alyson teaches a BBQ class at some of the competitions.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 02-21-2020 at 03:04 AM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 04:37 AM   #4
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Teaching the Art of the Que, in its truest form, to those who are taking the "culinary arts" type of classes gives them a greater understanding of what "cooking" can be all about. I have known several who went to "school" to learn to cook and could not grasp the simple but complex cooking of Meat by Fire.
Only when they experience it can they get back to a basic understanding and really Love cooking.

Thank You for sharing your time and experience with them and hopefully some will venture into the Art of The Que and grow from there.
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
Great project!

That looks like Butch’s Smack your Lips BBQ’s new cooker.

Is it?

If so, I can attest that some very good BBQ has come off of that smoker, and that that cooker is designed to cook an entire semi reefer full of ribs during a 3 day competition for their “bulk feed” operation that sells BBQ platters to the public during competitions.

Butch’s daughter Alyson teaches a BBQ class at some of the competitions.

Yes, that is one of Butch's Smack Your Lips cookers. Lynne, Aly, and Matt have been good friends of mine for many years, so when i asked for the use of their equipment, it was an instant resounding yes. Matt brought the smoker to the school on Wednesday night, we loaded and started the smokers and Matt went home to get some sleep. I stayed the night to protect the assets of the smoker, and to prevent any tampering or theft of the meat.

Thursday morning, Matt returned to assist me in the final stages of the cooking process.

For those who took a close look at the photograph of the cooker; Matt bought the trailer bed, designed, and built this smoking rig with the assistance of a friend. Matt was even kind enough to talk with the auto shop students to explain the details, the how, and the why of his build.

You will notice that their team logo (lips) has been plasma cut into every support gusset along the top.

Good eye Shadowdog500......

Old 02-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #6
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

This is nothing short of spectacular !!!! THANK YOU !!!
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #7
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I'm really sorry I missed this, MadMan. I was looking forward to it.

It was the perfect storm for me at work this week, and I could not cut myself loose.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #8
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

I never noticed the lips along the top, but I did remember the layout. I really liked their old full trailer rotisserie cooker that Butch designed decades ago but Alyson told me it was really old and needed a lot of work.

I don’t really know them, but I used to buy bbq sauce from Butch in gallon jugs when he was alive, and I’ve taken Allison’s cooking class, and have been “back stage” a couple times to see their operation in action at the NJ state BBQ championship in Wildwood. They really have this Down to a science, and developed a system that they can crank out really great ribs in great quantities for these events.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 02-21-2020 at 10:48 AM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Excellent. BBQ and philanthropy seem to go hand in hand.

Smoke Meat And Fire to you MadMan!
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
I'm really sorry I missed this, MadMan. I was looking forward to it.

It was the perfect storm for me at work this week, and I could not cut myself loose.

John,

No need to apologize, life happens and it is sometimes inconvenient in changing things around. Unfortunately things catch us all off guard and we have to take a different direction.

I truly appreciate your offer to assist us, and we were also saddened that you couldn't join us. But maybe next year.

The food was awesome and is still the buzz of the schools and the community.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #11
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

What you do is awesome Thank you What an experience for all concerned Hope the fund raiser went well
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #12
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
I never noticed the lips along the top, but I did remember the layout. I really liked their old full trailer rotisserie cooker that Butch designed decades ago but Alyson told me it was really old and needed a lot of work.

I don’t really know them, but I used to buy bbq sauce from Butch in gallon jugs when he was alive, and I’ve taken Allison’s cooking class, and have been “back stage” a couple times to see their operation in action at the NJ state championship in Wildwood. They really have this Down to a science, and developed a system that they can crank out really great ribs in great quantities for these events.
Aly started helping her dad when she was 4 years old, and she loved to help him throughout his competitions. When Aly took over the team after her dad passed away, she was the youngest female pitmaster in the BBQ circuits, and many didn't take her seriously. Her team, over the years, has amassed nearly 800 KCBS sanctioned national championship wins.

They still sell gallons and five gallon buckets of sauce if you request, they just don't publicize it. They also sell rubs in very large quantities upon request.

Butch's smoker was great and it served him well when he would vend at Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia, as well as competition vending. but it wasn't as efficient as this one. For those who have never seen the rig in vending action, it also has a deep fryer and a steam table that connect up front.

They also have their own refrigerated truck for small events, but for larger events, the suppliers usually just leave an 18 wheeler refrigerated truck onsite. For larger events like the "Best in the West" they schedule multiple deliveries throughout the event, and the suppler has a driver on stand-by for additional needs

If you think this is a big rig, you should see the rig they keep out west. It can easily hold 1,200 racks of ribs and they have to reload it every 3 hours because their food is in such great demand at the competitions where they vend. When they go out west, they have everything delivered to the site.

Just to give everyone an idea of the size of their operation, their usage of rub exceeds 500 pounds when they vend at The Best of the West". The idea of 500 pounds of rub in a two day weekend of vending is just mind boggling.

But they are very community oriented; The give a scholarship in Butch's name every year, without fail. They work and volunteer in the local communities and they assist with multiple fundraisers. They set an example of what the BBQ community is all about.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #13
KClandcruiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

That is so awesome! What a fun and cool thing to participate in!

Old 02-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I never met Butch personally but I was right next to a site that he visited to say Hi to Guy at that time of 2 Fat Pollocks
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #15
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Very cool, sounds like a fun day and great way to give back.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is online now   Reply With Quote