I accidentally bumped myself up into a more expensive charcoal bracket

hedonsmbot

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've only had a charcoal burning grill for 3 weeks. In my excitement and ignorance I bought the first two bags of charcoal I saw (to compare) and only when it's come time to resupply do I realize I bought the most expensive and 2nd most expensive brands locally stocked.

First I burned a bag of Maple Leaf Premium ($21.99Cdn /8Kg)
I had nothing to compare it to. Smelled good, burned good.

Second I used Fogo Premium ($29.99Cdn / 8Kg)
I LOVE the smell of this charcoal. It smells a bit like black powder which smells like a day shooting guns which smells like happiness.
The burgers I made retained so much charcoal taste that it gave me a serious Burger King feel (yes that's IS a good thing).

I'm resupplying now and am wondering if I should get the cheaper stuff. Seeing as how I just went through 16kg in 3 weeks cooking for 2 people price is going to become a factor.

Does anyone mix cheaper grade coal into the premium stuff or is that defeating the purpose?

Last edited:
Most people here including myself stock up on Kingsford when it is on sale for almost half off during the holiday weekends and Lowe’s and Home Depot . Find out when the the sales are in Canada, or stop down our way to stock up on Memorial Day weekend, 4th of July Weekend, or Labor Day weekend. Go early in the weekend. they sell out. I usually get a half dozen bags or more, but others here get a lot more.

I'd caution going from premium lump charcoal to KBB briquettes. The shock of incessant, stinky billowing smoke and enormous amounts of ash may discourage you from bbq altogether. :lol:

I'm not familiar with what's available up your way, but suggest Royal Oak or Cowboy as possible less expensive alternatives.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I use a Large BGE My lump last a long time and I can get several burns out of good Lump Check out the Naked Wiz site for a charcoal database I would think the better the Lumb the better the burn and also low ash

Back when Maple Leaf was available in the US I used a lot of it, I have actually never found anything that equaled it in value.... meaning it was more expensive but the flavor was worth it.

Go with quality.
It burns better, smells better, cooks better and in the long rung you use less.

Now that you’ve tasted the real thing, KBB will taste like licking an ash tray.

Here’s what ya do. Buy a bag or two as needed at a time till the end of the season. Once the sales start in the fall, figure up how many bags you went through and buy that many or more while on sale.

amen...

Go with quality.
It burns better, smells better, cooks better and in the long rung you use less.

...and there’s less ash to clean up too!

I had my SO pick me up some Embers charcoal, needed some cheap stuff to use when I light my stick burner. Way too much of whatever filler they use when I dump the ash pan later, looks like sand.

Not sure what's available up your way in Canadia. I usually use Royal Oak, Western was pretty good. Tried Grove lump out of Wisconsin, that was pretty good. Not a fan of Timber, maybe I got a bad bag, but it was mostly small pieces. Kamado Joe lump is pretty good as well.

I'm not sure what you can get in your area, but Royal Oak makes a really nice lump. They have a bag now that has only large chunks. I've had good luck with their stuff.

Consider using the "indirect method" of cooking. Uses much less
charcoal and cooks turn out just fine with a reverse sear, if needed.
I cook for myself and it's about the only way I BBQ anymore.
BTW... I use KBB briquets and Royal Oak lump almost exclusively.

Royal Oak lump if available would be a good choice as would Humphrey's lump if available. They might not be as pricey as what you've used.

Royal Oak briq's would be preferable to KBB IMO.

Back