Painting rusted Kettle top. ? for the experts.

Smokin' D

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a couple old Bar-B-Kettle top which are badly rusted and pitted. I have a grinder and all the woodworking tools and sanders but am not familiar with metal working. My question is this: Do i need to get to bare metal to repaint? I'm using Dupli-Color Engine Paint. Red of course!
I read SwamprB's thread on painting his kettle from a couple years ago, but this issue was not addressed.

It seems the outer layer of porcelain will come right off with a knotted wheel or even sanded with a rotary sander. There is a MUCH more resilient layer beneath that is very difficult to get through. I may be working too hard by attempting to remove this second layer but what are your thoughts on tools/practices to get to bare metal? Is it even necessary? Thanks.

How's that paint holding up Brian?

I wouldn't think it would be that important to remove the under layer. I would be most concerned with removing the loose stuff, the rust, and blending it all together so when painted, the new high temp paint will hide it all. Also, high temp paints are best applied in many thin coats. You may have enough room in your oven inside to cure the paint which is definitely recommended.

The reason I doubt it is necessary to remove all the material is that the material you are removing and the base material in the paint is similar. Most high temp paints are epoxy and ceramic based.

Goodluck and post many pictures! (your grate would be great to see again too!)

Thank You Brian! What temp is a good one to use for paint curing? My wife will really think I'm nuts.

"Oh Cheryl, I felt we weren't getting enough iron in our diets, so tonight's dinner is going to be some wilted lettuce and asparagus salad with a side of baked Weber kettle."

Good to hear that bottom layer can stay. Too much work removing it for a UDS cover. That beautiful grate you made has not seen a lot of use as last year was a big build a drum year. With the nice weather returning tending the off set is definitely in the near future and rib and grate pr0n will follow. I know the is heresy, but I do prefer the taste of food coming off the offset as opposed to a drum.

As a former paint factory owner, I have been using rustoleum, but you can use any heat rated paint. the basic difference is the color woun't change.

But I'd get as much of the rust off as you can. The paint you use is only as good as the surface you apply it to. Rust is loose so paint can peel eventually.

Thanks both so far. Yeah the outer loose rust and porcelain come off real easily. There is that underlying layer of something and the little rust pits that are the issue here. I will take a few pics of the top and the process. I know that any underlying rust will probably make a return appearance, just want it to be a long time coming. I am planning on using the Dupli Color primer on this also, if that makes any difference.

red kettle

Goodluck. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 165
If this is going to be used exclusively on the UDS, you could use the lighter duty version of the high temp paints. This gives you protection at around 5-600 F. If you are grilling and searing, I would put on a can of the 1100 stuff. It might never see those temps but Im all about overkill.

I think i read on my last can of rustolium high temp grill paint, to bake at 350 for 2 hours.

The paint instructions should tell you what you need. as for primer, I dont use primer on the high temp stuff. I think you can get a high temp epoxy from this site - http://www.stovepaint.com/ which would fill in your rust pits (if you were that interested in it) I was considering using this in a recent build but chose to weld and blend instead. The epoxy works like bondo for stoves so it should work for your lid. I'm also looking at this site for paint colors. I would like to get the high gloss look of a wood stove in my next build. Should make for nice clean-ups!

Goodluck and post pics of what you come up with!

I've been using Dupli-Color Hi-Temp Ceramic paint. It's rated 500*. It holds up on the lid areas, but on the bowl it can't take the heat.
I bought some 1200* Red Stove-Brite paint ($14 per can) to do a UDS and the paint color turned Brown and eventually flaked off the bottom of the drum around the charcoal basket.

Here is how I mask off the offending areas of the kettles and spray multiple coats of paint.

IMG_0132.jpg

100_2282.jpg

100_2283.jpg

100_2288.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Up close you can tell there has been some rehab, but when you're cooking on them no one notices it-and from a distance you can't tell.

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

100_2305.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

Red Weber's is how I roll!

I have a bunch of weber lids and a surprise from the metal dump, but need to paint and get pics all at once,,

Swamp, Awesome Looking Line-Up!!!!!!! Diggin the red for sure!

Back