MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Lodge cast iron. Need some advice.

Purchasing advise that is...

I've been wanting to get some cast iron to take me back to by Boy Scout days. I'm pretty much set on getting Lodge as I don't want to take the time to find something older that wasn't really used. Plus I want to start from scratch. I want to know what was cooked in my cast iron as I'm using it, so new is the way I'm gonna go.

My question is what do you think is a good set to start with. I don't need anything large to start with so I've been considering picking up these two pieces from Amazon to start out...

I like both of these for the combos of skillet/oven and the prices on both are great. Would be nothing to pick up both at the same time. I like the sizes too since I would be using these mostly to cook sides in and still fit on the kettle or drum with out taking too much space. I figure if I want to I can always buy a 12" skillet or a larger oven if down the road I find that the two above start shrinking.

Whatdya think? Any issues with Lodge quality I should know about?

Last edited by flyingbassman5; 02-26-2013 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: drinking and typing
flyingbassman5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
that's hot
On the road to being a farker

i use lodge skillets and dutch ovens , season them and they will last a life time , and never wash them with soap , only hot water and heat them up to dry.
great choice .

Mark

char griller & side firebox
weber 22.5 kettle
custom built brute
UDS
super fast Cheetah Thermapen
that's hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I would buy them both. I just purchased another small lodge pan to saute peppers and onions on my Akorn.

Good luck,
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Lodge cast iron. Need some advice.

I would get the dutch oven combo... and stick with that to ensure you like the cast iron gig

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal251 View Post
I would get the dutch oven combo... and stick with that to ensure you like the cast iron gig

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Ohhhh I already know I love it. Cooked on it every camp out while in the scouts and just never got around to buying my own CI. We did everything from pancakes to burgers to dump cake in the ovens.

I've had the itch ever since and I'm now thinking about scratching it..

Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Pig Nutz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Steve

My wife and I are big fans of Lodge. All our frying pans and Dutch ovens are lodge except one. The only problem I ever had was cajuning steaks on a coleman gas camping stove. I would heat a 12 inch skillet as hot as I could get it an warped one after multiple times. Now it's our deer camp skillet.
Pig Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

MMmmm Boy scout Dutch oven Tater Tot Casserole. Thats what im talking about!

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

I picked this up literally a week ago. It actually is a lot larger than the pic. My thoughts were exactly like yours and I wanted a new one. So far I managed to cook a pot roast meal and bake bread. Food came out excellent so far. This is the deep 12" DO with 8 qt capacity. I got the camp oven because it's versatile and good enough for my family and as a tester. I'm def going to add on more CI cookware from Lodge and I'm already eyeing the 14" deep 10qt oven. Quality is awesome. I was torn between the Chinese made Camp Chef 14" 10 qt oven but I went with Lodge because its made in USA and quality is superb. Glad I went with Lodge. You won't be disappointed.

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

I've got a Lodge skillet, enameled dutch oven, and camp stove. I love them, and the quality is excellent.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Buy em, both are great and useful pieces

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Good Deal ..Stick with made in USA !
I bought a set of CI from Sportsmans whse and it was not seasoned , I oiled it and cooked it in the oven and it never would season ..but it did smell funny then I did research AFTEr and it was MFg in China and I threw it away because seriously who knows what xtras you may be getting . Lodge all the way !.. The Lodge Enameled ( colored ) Dutch ovens they sell in the grocery stores are made In CHINA.. Just check it says where its made.
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

The lodge CI painini press looks really good, and I think someone on here used them to make smash burgers as well.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

tractor supply had some great looking pans.HOWEVER China..boohoo

Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #14
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

I prefer the type that will allow coals to be stacked on top.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #15
Hcs
On the road to being a farker

I have camp ovens but also have a set I picked up from lodge outlet for $50 containing 10"DO 10skilletand 6"skillet.