Completed 1st UDS build/First cook on new UDS

gambler

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay so here are pics of my first UDS build and the meat I turned out from it. I marinated the tri-tip over night in Dr. Pepper, and rubbed it with Bone Suckin' Sauce and Famous Dave's dry rubs before I threw it on. It came out tender and juicy, but a little too strong on the smoke flavor. I'll have to perfect that. I got my offset smoker down, now just gotta figure out how not to over smoke on the UDS. Any advice? I think I used too many wood chunks or something.

6110425107_e01bc5f943_z.jpg

6110971152_fba263b31c_z.jpg

6110425881_ea0341afa6_z.jpg

6110973078_48cefb8144_b.jpg

6110975052_76dc621893_z.jpg

6110976376_811eb0d341_z.jpg

6110432657_1bca877f39_b.jpg

BTW, I wanna give a big thanks to Norcoredneck and his post, "If a redneck wanted to build a UDS". A lot of info there. And thanks to everyone else who answered all my questions during my build!

Looking great from here :thumb: Now, how many wood chunks are you using? Also, no ball valve to control airflow?

great looking drum & food !! i've learned it don't take much wood to flavor your meat. i use 2 chunks approx. 1 in. dia x 3 in. long. load about 1/3 to 1/2 chimmey with 1 piece on top when burning good dump on top of basket. enjoy your good looking drum!!!

That's a fine looking UDS, congrats! And that pron looks great too.

picture.php

Congrats on your build and first cook! I hope you enjoy cooking on yours as much as I do on mine...

Looking great from here :thumb: Now, how many wood chunks are you using? Also, no ball valve to control airflow?

The ball valve is on the opposite side, but it is there. I used six fist sized chunks of apple wood. One right on top, two midway down, and three near the bottom of my charcoal basket

great looking drum! What temp did you take your tri-tip to?

I cooked it at 200 for about 3 hours and then brought it up to between 225-250 for the last 40 minutes. I pulled off the tri-tip once it reached an internal temp of 157.

Last edited:
Nice drum gambler. You only need about 2-3 chunks of wood half that size. The amount you used would definately over smoke the meat. Let us know how the next one turns out.

Getting ready for round 2. Gonna smoke some tri-tip, pork ribs, and sausage tomorrow. Gonna use less wood chunks. Hopefully I don't over smoke the meat this time. This will be the first smoke using both racks and 3 different meats. Any recommendations on which meat on which rack and why? Thanks!

I cooked it at 200 for about 3 hours and then brought it up to between 225-250 for the last 40 minutes. I pulled off the tri-tip once it reached an internal temp of 157.

I was gonna say, it looks a bit overcooked. Next time try smoking @275-325, and pull early, at IT of around 130-135, then tent or wrap in foil for 20-30 minutes to allow it to come up to a perfect medium rare. That one is well done+. You should be able to cook up a TT on that UDS in less than 1.5 hours, maybe even one hour.

Your UDS looks great! A bit too clean though :) On the wood, I just use 4-6 half fist sized chunks buried in the unlit coals, and try to avoid using mesquite for any long cooks, it's just too strong.

Oh, and one more thing, I'd avoid slathering a roast with BBQ sauce before cooking, it'll just burn. Try using EVOO or spicy Italian dressing, it really works nice. Most folks just leave a TT dry and apply their rub of choice. Could be as simple as cracked pepper and kosher salt.

I was gonna say, it looks a bit overcooked. Next time try smoking @275-325, and pull early, at IT of around 130-135, then tent or wrap in foil for 20-30 minutes to allow it to come up to a perfect medium rare. That one is well done+. You should be able to cook up a TT on that UDS in less than 1.5 hours, maybe even one hour.

Your UDS looks great! A bit too clean though :) On the wood, I just use 4-6 half fist sized chunks buried in the unlit coals, and try to avoid using mesquite for any long cooks, it's just too strong.

Oh, and one more thing, I'd avoid slathering a roast with BBQ sauce before cooking, it'll just burn. Try using EVOO or spicy Italian dressing, it really works nice. Most folks just leave a TT dry and apply their rub of choice. Could be as simple as cracked pepper and kosher salt.

Thanks for the feed back. I was trying to do a low and slow to get a more tender product. I usually do tri-tip using indirect hotter temps on my Weber Kettle. The outside does look a bit over done, but it really wasn't. I think the overdose on smoke gave it that look. The meat was still pretty tender, even after re-heating the next day. It was a medium finish, not medium-rare. I probably could have pulled it off a few degrees sooner, like maybe 155 to get a little more pink, but I really was going for a smoke ring. Also, I just marinated it in Dr. Pepper, no bbq sauce of any kind. Just some dry rub before I put it on. Still learning, and thanks again for the feedback.

It could be a defective UDS, it is very rare, I would recommend sending to me and let me put it through its paces and I could give you feedback:p

Seriously... Great looking UDS, go lighter on the wood perhaps, also, let it come to temp before adding the meat, go for that light blue smoke, which will change color once the meat fat starts dripping on the coals.

Back