MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
BillyCal
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Looking for some advice on Lang customer service

So I placed an order for a 48" patio with all wheel nematics on March 10. I was told 3 weeks which would have been prefect as 3 weeks would have been the 31 my birth day.

Called Lang around the 20 to check on progress and was told it did not make it into production that week but would be in next week. Okay no big deal so called again on the 27 or 28 and was told it was in progress and should be complete the week of April 7. Great I am going to be in Jacksonville FL that week for work and said I could pick it up the 8th or 11th. Sara with Lang noted that in my folder.

So I get up to Jacksonville on the 7th and call lang in the afternoon and wanted to check if it would be ready the 8th. I talk with them and they say they are getting it started and will try to get it down this week.

Okay so when I talked to them on the 27 or 28 it wasn't being made I guess. I was told wrong information. I just sucked it up and did not raise a stink as I am not the person to do that. So called a few times that week to check in it as Jacksonville is only 1 1/2 hours south of Lang's location and it would save me a lot of driving time on my own time. It did not make it finished that week.

I called Wednesday this week and it was ready to be picked up so we set Friday at noon for pick up. I use a vacation day to take Friday off of work. It's about a 6 hour drive one way from my house.

I get a call today at 3 from Sara at Lang and she tell me she is sorry to inform me that my smoker got mistakenly loaded on a truck for New Orleans. IT GOT WHAT. She said that they are in the process of making another one and will schedule with me for next week pick up.

I told her I already took the day off for vacation and I was planing on using the smoker for Easter breakfast at my church so this was a very large blow.

All they said was sorry.

I feel like I am getting a large run around. I am not the guy to get a worked up especially to someone in her position because it's not her fault someone loaded the wrong smoker. So I just told her that I will wait for their call and we can reschedule.

The more I think about it the more I get mad. They made no concessions on their end. Like hey we really screwed up so will ship to you for free, or anything like that. Just hey sorry you are screwed and we will call ya next week.

I am going to call tomorrow and talk with someone because I am not happy with the customer service. I understand my mislay 2000 is nothing but I should not be getting the runaround.
BillyCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
rtboswell
Full Fledged Farker

Hopefully after you express how upset you are they can make it right. That sucks!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Don't call lang, call Shirley fabrication
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
davefan360
Take a breath!

i have never dealt with lang. but I would be upset if this was happening to me. I would call tomorrow and just ask to talk to someone higher up. try to stay calm and tell them why you are upset. and remember if you are not %100 happy before you get your smoker you will never be happy with it. I do know that Lang does make a nice cooker. good luck

Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
BillyCal
Knows what a fatty is.

I was thinking about Shirley Fabrication but they do not take credit cards. I put most large purchases on my credit card.

I know Lang makes a great product that is why I am not just telling them to cancel the order.
BillyCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I believe the owner's name is Ben Lang. I would try and talk to him and explain your frustration.
I have no ties to this company but I have a lot of friends who speak very very highly of him and his product.
Good luck and let us know how things work out.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

My $.02 - THEY said THEY put YOUR smoker on a truck to NO instead so my thoughts would be they should put your new smoker that they're obviously going to have to build in the front of the queue (which it seems they might be doing unless they're going to give you someone else's so they still have the problem but w/ someone else)& send it to you either free of shipping or discounted shipping since it was a problem on their end. I would talk to Ben about it to see what he'd do but my above is what they should do IMO
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
Okie Sawbones
Banned

It COULD have been an honest mistake... maybe. I know you were told 3 weeks, but that seems like an awfully fast turnaround time. Many pit builders state, 'There are no guarantees or estimated times given on completion dates.'
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I think you have every right to let the owner know how you feel. give the guy a chance to make it right. He may not even know the situation. You sound like a reasonable guy so I'm sure it will be ok. If he still doesn't make it right then you are well within your rights to reverse the transaction. I'm sure it won't come to that but you do have options. Like stated above it will be tough to really be happy in the long run if they don't do something for your trouble now.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I too do not know anyone there and I've never had any dealings with Lang, but I would be on the horn with Ben (owner) first thing in the morning and talk with only him. As the owner he needs to know this happened and would be the best to help you out. I've had great experiences with some smoker companies and I've had horrible experiences too. I've had multiple products from the ones that treat me right, and I won't even look at the ones that treat me wrong.

My point is, if you want Lang to make this right, go right to the top and talk to Ben Lang. If he doesn't do anything, I'd be surprised.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Yeah, I would want to talk to the owner Ben Lang.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #12
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

You Asked for advice, here is mine. The absolute worst thing in the world is to have a doctor say "sit down, we need to talk". Everything else is really pretty simple. Don't waste too much energy on this. Let's say your assigned welder had to be in divorce court- nope they violate employment law if they tell you that. Let's say your assigned welder had surgery, nope they cannot tell you that-HIPPA rules As a business owner there are some things that happen, we just can't tell the customer/client. So your vague without lying while walking a tight rope. You obviously want/wanted and still want the cooker. Relay your purchasing experience, both positive and negative in writing to the highest company official. Sometimes what you perceive as a complaint will be delivered as praise to the employee. Lots of things going on in this ol world and lots of rules to follow. Be nice. It will come back to you the same way.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
Parruthead
Full Fledged Farker

I would call and talk to Ben! When I called down there he answered the phone and was very cordial and I'm sure he will do something to make it right! I would not ask for free shipping because that would come right out of his pocket.. I would ask for him to upgrade you to a 60" or add a warming box to yours.. Something that he would only be paying materials and labor on.

But it's simply a suggestion!
1- 84" Lang wide Body, 1-22.5" WSM,4-18.5" WSM's 1-UDS with custom cart, #2 La Caja China 2- Weber Performers, 2-22.5" Weber OTS 1-18" Weber OTS 2-Orion Cookers, 1-8' Event Gasser,
1- Terracotta pig and 1-Terracotta Elephant and [B]One very understanding wife[/B]...
Parruthead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #14
pjayt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
You Asked for advice, here is mine. The absolute worst thing in the world is to have a doctor say "sit down, we need to talk". Everything else is really pretty simple. Don't waste too much energy on this. Let's say your assigned welder had to be in divorce court- nope they violate employment law if they tell you that. Let's say your assigned welder had surgery, nope they cannot tell you that-HIPPA rules As a business owner there are some things that happen, we just can't tell the customer/client. So your vague without lying while walking a tight rope. You obviously want/wanted and still want the cooker. Relay your purchasing experience, both positive and negative in writing to the highest company official. Sometimes what you perceive as a complaint will be delivered as praise to the employee. Lots of things going on in this ol world and lots of rules to follow. Be nice. It will come back to you the same way.
Everything happens for a reason you may have missed the big one on I-95
Pound for pound Lang is one of the best, steel is sold by the pound I would weigh Lang equal size against anyone.
their is no better cooker that cooks better. anywhere it will be worth the wait.
Titan Santa Maria, RiverGrille cowboy grill
Blaze Professional Portable w/ pedestal
Thermapen one, Maverick Pro Temp PT100
Weston Pro-2300 vacuum packer
pjayt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
pjayt
Full Fledged Farker

Can,t wait to see photos of your 1st cook
Titan Santa Maria, RiverGrille cowboy grill
Blaze Professional Portable w/ pedestal
Thermapen one, Maverick Pro Temp PT100