MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
CYBERQ
Found some matches.

Default First Catering Contract. Help with pricing.

Hey guys,

Recently after many request from people at my job and family and friends. I am going to start catering events. Please if you guys dont mind giving some pointers, could you please help me with this pricing for these two events I have.

The first customer is requesting 2 briskets and Potato salad for 70. Now I make a potato salad that using exclusively bacon and helmans mayo. So I know I might need to up pricing on that.

I have figured that if I buy a 15 pound briskets but they will yield about half that weight after cooking, I will charge for the cooked weight and at $10.00 a pound. I just have to drop it off and I am not serving it or slicing it. She will have other sides and meats from others bringing them there. I figured a price of about 70 dollars per whole packer brisket to charge. I have heard of guys charging more but I know I am just starting out and dont want to come out charging up .

The Second person has a catering business in baking goods and needs me to do brisket and chicken for 100 people next year for a family reunion. Now How much would be a good price to charge for the briskets and how much for the chicken. I guessing leg quarters.

Thanks Guys in advance
CYBERQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Gig #1:

Our experience is that with brisket we average a 45% loss of weight in cook.

Two 15 lb briskets with 45% loss in cook = 16.5 lbs cooked meat = 264 oz. We usually use a 6 oz serving size for most events.

Serving Size................. # of Servings
......4 oz.............................66
......6 oz.............................44
......8 oz.............................33

What is your cost per lb for the briskets? Around here they run around $2.25/lb. Using that number the raw cost for two 15 lb briskets would be $67.50. With the 45% loss in cook your cost of goods sold would be $4.09 per lb. If you use the "3 times cost" method for retail pricing you would then end up with $12.27 per lb as a Retail Price. (Based on a 6 oz serving size you would then have a Retail Price of $4.60 per serving) The total charge to the customer for the brisket, at the requested quantity, would be $202.50.

"I figured a price of about 70 dollars per whole packer brisket to charge. I have heard of guys charging more but I know I am just starting out and dont want to come out charging up." It is my opinion that should not sell yourself short.

For the potato salad add up the total cost of ingredients and take that time 3 to arrive at the Retail Price.

------------------------------------------------

Gig #2

Use the same method as Gig #1 for pricing the brisket.

For the chicken add up your total cost of goods and take times 3 for your retail price.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
CYBERQ
Found some matches.

I haven't quite went brisket shopping yet. Usually they are around $2 - 2.99 and at a local butcher I purchased a 15lb brisket for 3.25 that cost me around $50 dollars. I really appreciate your tips. The times 3 method is something that sounds like a great way to do it. I really shouldn't sell myself short. Thanks allot. Great stuff and thanks for taking the time.
CYBERQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
DepChief22
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizznessman View Post
Gig #1:

Our experience is that with brisket we average a 45% loss of weight in cook.

Two 15 lb briskets with 45% loss in cook = 16.5 lbs cooked meat = 264 oz. We usually use a 6 oz serving size for most events.

Serving Size................. # of Servings
......4 oz.............................66
......6 oz.............................44
......8 oz.............................33

What is your cost per lb for the briskets? Around here they run around $2.25/lb. Using that number the raw cost for two 15 lb briskets would be $67.50. With the 45% loss in cook your cost of goods sold would be $4.09 per lb. If you use the "3 times cost" method for retail pricing you would then end up with $12.27 per lb as a Retail Price. (Based on a 6 oz serving size you would then have a Retail Price of $4.60 per serving) The total charge to the customer for the brisket, at the requested quantity, would be $202.50.

"I figured a price of about 70 dollars per whole packer brisket to charge. I have heard of guys charging more but I know I am just starting out and dont want to come out charging up." It is my opinion that should not sell yourself short.

For the potato salad add up the total cost of ingredients and take that time 3 to arrive at the Retail Price.

------------------------------------------------

Gig #2

Use the same method as Gig #1 for pricing the brisket.

For the chicken add up your total cost of goods and take times 3 for your retail price.
How much would you charge to cook 200 chicken halves if they supplied them?

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepChief22 View Post
What is your time worth? Your supplies X 3 + time.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

if me, I charge 500 for cooking chicken, 85 for each cooked packer, 24 for 1/2 tin pot salad..biz man really has the portions down pat..

Old 11-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepChief22 View Post
We don't cook "supplied meats". We have our own sources. We require this for all events in order to deliver a quality controlled and food safe product. If the meat is "supplied" we have no idea of the quality or how it was handled prior to it being delivered to us. Our insurance policy also specifically states that it is void if we cook "supplied" products so there is the legal issue as well.

If we had a contract for 200 chix halves we would total up the cost of goods (chix halves, rub, etc) and take that times 3. The "times 3" method is meant to "pay you for your time" as well as cover incidentals like depreciation of equipment, etc.

As we have progressed in our business we have come up with calculated amounts of rub, wood, foil, etc that it takes to cook each type of meat we offer. We have found, with our cook methods, that this can be represented by a 12% of COGS. So we take the total cost of the meat ordered and add 12% to arrive at the total cost of product ordered. Take that times 3 and that is what the client sees on the contract.

Delivery charges are extra.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Congrats on the catering chance. Good luck and best wishes. Let us know how it goes.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote