MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #11536
Victory
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDSPowercat View Post
How many cans of spray paint will it take to paint my drum?
I used one can of 2000 degree engine paint for my base coat. I got two coats with the one can.

1 can of gloss black paint, also got two coats out of this.

then 1 can of gloss clear coat. again two coats.
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #11537
Victory

I'm trying to post a picture of my build but apparently I dont have enough posts

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #11538
Victory

here is my UDS build

Old 10-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #11539
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDSPowercat View Post
How many cans of spray paint will it take to paint my drum?

1 Color? 1-2 cans of paint.

Custom Paint Job? Sky's the limit.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #11540
Bark like a Hog BBQ
Found some matches.

Default Magnets on UDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
I am just about finished up with my first build. I just need to throw a couple coats of paint on it. I already did two coats of the 2000 degree engine paint, but wanted something a little more shiny for the finished product, so I will be slapping on some gloss black and some clearcoat this evening, hopefully it looks good.

this thread has been very helpful.

it's just a standard looking barrel with a weber lid, painted black. I did (3) 1" intakes as my dad had all the 1" pipe and fittings and valves laying around the house. did a seasoning test run on wednesday with only a few pounds of lump in the basket. she burned at 250 for 7 hours and was still going strong when I went to bed. very impressed coming from a cheap brinkman offset. would take me 15lbs of charcoal to do that with that pos.

doing my first smoke sunday for the ravens/steelers game with it, just some beef ribs and turkey breast but Im excited to try some food off of it.

I will try to post a picture of it after I get it all painted up.

one question I do have, and Im sorry if it has already been posted, has anyone tried magnet signs on the side of the smoker? like something you would stick to the side of a truck. wondering if they would hold up to the heat. ive got some raven ones I am going to try this weekend. hopefully they dont burn onto the side lol.
I have four 3/4" holes around the bottom of my UDS about 2 1/2" up from the bottom. I use four cheap refrig magnets to cover them part way or all the way. You would be surprised how well this works. I can easily maintain temps in that thing.

"If it ain't got no bark, it ain't worth the bite"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130705_124121.jpg (30.3 KB, 827 views)
Bark like a Hog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #11541
UDS Rookie
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hi everyone. I just want to say thanks to all you seasoned vets and your discussions about the UDS. I referenced this thread and the discussions here quite a bit in my build and created a blog for novices who want to build a UDS. Check it out and let me know if I've missed anything. I'll post pics on here soon.
http://udsrookie.blogspot.com/
UDS Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #11542
sandskipper
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default My first UDS build (w/ pics)

Greetings Brethren!

I'm new to the site and happened to stumble across it when doing research on this UDS I recently herd of. I've always been a huge fan of BBQ but have never taken a shot at it on my own. When I found out about this midevil cooking device, I was hooked on making one of my own and give'n it a whirl. With about a week of research and compiling ideas, I set about to gather all the bits and pieces needed to build my contraption. I did not do allot of pricing around and pretty much just bought everything when I found it wherever that might have been. I had an idea of what I wanted it to look like and borrowed ideas from many other peoples builds(Thanks to everyone) ! So with no further , here are a few pics of the making of my very first UDS build.

The drum I found was $35 w/ lid & ring. It was a "food grade" container that formerly held Pinapple concentrate. First I measured out all my holes and cut them out. Then I built a good fire with some scrap 2x4's I had laying around and torched it good. The next morning I proceeded to clean it up with some degreaser(purple power), water, and a scotch brite pad. I found out that this is the most labor intensive part of the build.... After cleaning and drying the drum, I proceeded to put my two tone paint onto the exterior after giving the inside a lite coat of canola oil to keep it from rusting up on me. After applying the paint and waiting between coats for it to dry.... .... I began to assemble all me pipes and joints. (I said "pipes" and "joints" ). The next day was time to get everything hooked up for a good seasoning. I havn't made my basket yet (got the expanded metal today) so I used the basket from my turkey fryer for the break-in. After wiping the inside clean of the previous oil slick, I reapplied a liberal coating and fired off 10lbs of lump carcoal with some hickory chips for good measure! I put flame to coals at 6pm and the UDS climbed to 300 for about 1hr. I chocked off all the O2 for about 5 minutes and the temp slowly dropped down to 230 when I bagan to crack open some valves to revive things a bit. The drum krept back up to about 250 where it stayed for another 3hrs. I played with the valves a bit and was able to get it to stabalize at 230deg where it stayed until I crashed out at 4am the next morning. So in closing, I know the UDS will hold a temp (a little higher than I was hoping) for at least 10 hrs. I hope to put some dead animal products on it this weekend once I get the basket finished. I will use briquets this next time as I understand they burn a little cooler than the lump. It's my hope that with meat on the grill and cooler burning briquets, I can get it to run in the 215-225deg range. The last picture is taken with a nice bronze smoke patina on the guts of the UDS.... I can't wait to see how she cooks this weekend.

Cheers!!

Keith
sandskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #11543
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Nice drum sandskipper, you may know this but just be aware that copper can get hot enough to burn kids/pets etc. It transfers heat very quickly. And it will turn green inside and out unless you coat it. Let us know how it works.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #11544
Junktrader
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
I copied advice I found on this site.

I used black pipe nipples, .75 inch I think, in holes cut with hole-saw.

The pipe just screws into the hole but I anchored and sealed with conduit washers, after I burned the galvanizing away with torch, which was likely not necessary.

Black pipe nipple caps cover three of them, the valve takes care of the one.

The valve takes care of the one that comes up to waste level with copper pipe, which is just pushed together, anchored to side with strap and couple small SS bolts.

One covered nibble is barely visible in pic.

I might add that I am glad I used smaller drum. I only smoke for two, but if need arises, I use both grates.

The hole for the chimney was a PIA to cut...took 10 minutes, but that top was a lucky stroke of luck...thermometer probe is near perfect position when installed and squatchin' going, as in second pic from last April...

The SS chimney is near exactly the diameter needed to maintain flow with its area matching the sum of the vents...or close enough it does the job, no creosote smoke after it gets going.

Rarely mess with it once it gets to temp, save messing with valve once in awhile. Usually end up with two vents open, bottom opposite and some degree of valve opened.

Better many vents to begin and later shut, to me.

The chimney may be from Char Broil...forgot, some brand of burner...will send if you call.
BobBill, where did you find, or how did you make, the stainless dome lid for your UDS?
Junktrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #11545
Varoga
Found some matches.

Default Hello from CO

I have been reading over the site for the past several days. Today I purchased a large portion of the items needed to build my UDM. I will work on it in the evenings and hope to have it accomplished by the end of the weekend. I have ordered a few items online, so hopefully it will all arrive by the weekend.

Thanks to all of the lessons learned in this forum, I am sure it will turn out great.

Thanks in advance!

Christopher
Varoga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #11546
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

250*-275* is Perfect UDS Smoking Temps.!.!. For All Meat - except Psuedo meat like Chicken- then 325* is best.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #11547
RClark115
Got Wood.

In the middle of a build myself. Got most of it fab'd up already (hope it's done right). Now it's time for finish work and paint. Would sandblasting be a fair idea? The inside appears to be a dark red color, and I'm concerned it may be the dreaded liner I keep reading about. Anxious to get her finished, so considering a sandblast.... Thoughts?
RClark115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #11548
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RClark115 View Post
In the middle of a build myself. Got most of it fab'd up already (hope it's done right). Now it's time for finish work and paint. Would sandblasting be a fair idea? The inside appears to be a dark red color, and I'm concerned it may be the dreaded liner I keep reading about. Anxious to get her finished, so considering a sandblast.... Thoughts?

Yes- if you know a place and can afford it. The Red Liner seems to be the harder one but I burned mine out- Weed burner couldn't handle it but 4 busted up pallets and a couple fire place sized logs and a lil lighter fluid did the trick. Burned it out in my Driveway and someone called Fire Dept on me! They made me put out the fire or get a Ticket- luckily it had burned long enough.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #11549
BenCA
Found some matches.

All done with this one. Probably about my 15th one to date. This is going to a good friend.

BenCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #11550
promad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCA View Post
All done with this one. Probably about my 15th one to date. This is going to a good friend.

did you make the cart or it was a grill at one time ?
promad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker