MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Default would you still buy a Kamado (primo) if you had a weber performer and wsm

So I originally wanted a primo before I researched a lot and got a performer to go with cheap char griller smoker and weber gaser.

I Have become a very big weber guy and am searching for a WSM all the time and will get one soon.

I have recently became aware of a good primo oval Jr deal that I would have jumped all over a year or two ago but now I am wondering of I will use it with the toys I already have.

Thoughts?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Ummm...

Have you looked at the list of equipment in my signature?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

w/o boring you w/my history, i'm currently all weber. imo-there is nothing the ceramics can do that a weber can't.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Let me rephrase. How do I convince the wife we can't live without it..

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
w/o boring you w/my history, i'm currently all weber. imo-there is nothing the ceramics can do that a weber can't.
That is really my hang up here. I wouldn't be smoking on the primo that much and my performer can do steaks, chicken, burgers, roasts as good as anything..

Old 11-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

With the Primo, you may not use your Weber's very much. I'd rather have one Primo than 2 or 3 Weber's personally.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Since i got my Kamado Joe my WSM has been lonely. OTG still sees a fair amount of action for direct cooks.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

I have a kamado, i only use it for smoking. Anything grilling goes directly to the performer. For what ever reason, i find grilling on my kamado a bit inconvienient.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
mbshop
Babbling Farker

wouldn't hurt to have one. I was going to get a primo but realized that I can do all I want/need on my webers and also the fact that I just don't cook a lot.
I would never say no to someone who wants a ceramic cooker.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #10
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydaZe View Post
I have a kamado, i only use it for smoking. Anything grilling goes directly to the performer. For what ever reason, i find grilling on my kamado a bit inconvienient.
interesting that the two with kettles also both say they use their webers more for direct cooks.. why is that? What is inconvienient about direct high heat on a ceramic? a pain to light and bring up to temp maybe?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

When I picked up my BigJoe...The Performer was gifted to a friend...

So the answer is... YES...

"What is inconvenient about direct high heat on a ceramic? a pain to light and bring up to temp maybe?" Maybe the lid is too heavy...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

The Primo Oval Jr is too small man. If you had the XL, then the Webers would get jealous.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
interesting that the two with kettles also both say they use their webers more for direct cooks.. why is that? What is inconvienient about direct high heat on a ceramic? a pain to light and bring up to temp maybe?
I have no idea. My Weber's collected dust once I got a Kamado last year. Heck, I sold my Performer when I got the KJ. As good as the kettles are, we just didn't feel that they added up to the KJ's performance for direct grilling or anything.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

"would you still buy a Kamado (primo) if you had a weber performer and wsm"

Yes.

I've Been a Weber man for a long time.
I bought my Akorn In April 2012. Because of it's design I feel comfortable using it on the composite deck outside of my kitchen. Along with a Maverick ET72 this is very convenient grilling and smoking. I would never have used my kettles or WSM on a wooden deck. They have not been used since I got the Akorn.(still have them, just haven't used them). 90 percent of my cooks are for just my wife and I.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

If you already had the WSM, it might be overkill IMO. Since you don't, get the Primo and then decide if you still need a WSM (or the Performer for that matter).
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote