Is Hot and Fast really Hot and Fast?

I just like to cook where the stick burner wants to be on any given day. I have had cooks sit between 350 and 400 for an entire 5 hours cook. I try not to go below 250, simply because the dips then get into the barely cooking temp range. Just need to hold it longer if things finish earlier.

I was just about to ask where your were Fred. :-D

My 2cents, when smoking meat temps are between 150-225, when barbecuing meat temps are between 225-375, when grilling meat temps are 375+ hope it makes sense.

Man I thought I was hot and fast....sucks to find out that I'm only half fast. Thanks Ron:twitch:

It's just plain stupid to cook that hot.

I cook an 18 lb. brisket in about 7 - 8 hours in a zone from 250 - 275, (wrapped in butcher paper after 3-4 hours). During that 7 - 8 hrs there is plenty of smoke put on the meat, fat has had a chance to render out of the point and a substantial bark has formed as the closely trimmed fat cap, rub and smoke have all come together to form their smokey, crunchy, sticky goodness! Some things just take time and while there's no doubt that you can get a brisket "done" in 3.5 hours, it doesn't mean that the same quality is there.
There is a reason that the high end Q joints are still predominantly cooking briskets low and slow. Aaron Franklin for example cooks his at the 250 - 275 range. Tuffy Stone at his "Q" restaurant goes even lower (200 - 225). Heck, even with a 7 - 8 hour time frame I'm cooking way faster than those guys are! If the same quality could be had in 3.5 hours as they get in 12 hours or more, I'm sure that they'd be doing it... but they're not.
I'm glad that you're happy with your high and fast results and your picture is very nice, but for over all tenderness and flavor, the lower and slower ways IMHO are still the best. :-D
http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/smoked-brisket

Not directed at the poster at all but

Goodness Gracious. I wish I had never started the Hot and Fast revival.

"Culinary folk" can kiss my hairy, mudd encrusted pucker hole.

I didn't see any of those #@&* suckers when I started this **** and now they are trying to get their piece in?

I cook an 18 lb. brisket in about 7 - 8 hours in a zone from 250 - 275, (wrapped in butcher paper after 3-4 hours). During that 7 - 8 hrs there is plenty of smoke put on the meat, fat has had a chance to render out of the point and a substantial bark has formed as the closely trimmed fat cap, rub and smoke have all come together to form their smokey, crunchy, sticky goodness! Some things just take time and while there's no doubt that you can get a brisket "done" in 3.5 hours, it doesn't mean that the same quality is there.
There is a reason that the high end Q joints are still predominantly cooking briskets low and slow. Aaron Franklin for example cooks his at the 250 - 275 range. Tuffy Stone at his "Q" restaurant goes even lower (200 - 225). Heck, even with a 7 - 8 hour time frame I'm cooking way faster than those guys Iare! If the same quality could be had in 3.5 hours as they get in 12 hours or more, I'm sure that they'd be doing it... but they're not.
I'm glad that you're happy with your high and fast results and your picture is very nice, but for over all tenderness and flavor, the lower and slower ways IMHO are still the best. :-D
http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/smoked-brisket

Honestly, if you can cook it more tender than the above slice AND hold a full slice, I need to shut up and learn something.

My point was referred to as "beef marshmallows". Recently it has been "beef jello shots". I'm okay with that.

For me bbq is more about the style than the temp cooked at. I think large cuts cooked til fork tender with a crusty bark and yes smoke. That is bbq cooked at any temp. You can make pulled pork in a crock pot.

Ya know, I think that most barbecue is still about the total elapsed time (I think that pork ribs are probably the biggest exception, totally different mass than other common BBQ meats) even with the 3.5 hour brisket that HFoS is talking about, I SERIOUSLY doubt that 3.5hrs is the actual start-to-slice time... my HnF brisket usually hits the color and temp that I want in about 4.5 - 5 hours, but it still rests for at least that much again time in a warm cooler... slice it right off the cooker and it's gawd awful tough...
Give it temperature + time and it's better (IMO) than a SnL... better moisture, better texture... Butts are kinda the same, but pork's magic temp makes it a bit more forgiving and easier to hit just right, IMO

Ya know, I think that most barbecue is still about the total elapsed time (I think that pork ribs are probably the biggest exception, totally different mass than other common BBQ meats) even with the 3.5 hour brisket that HFoS is talking about, I SERIOUSLY doubt that 3.5hrs is the actual start-to-slice time... my HnF brisket usually hits the color and temp that I want in about 4.5 - 5 hours, but it still rests for at least that much again time in a warm cooler... slice it right off the cooker and it's gawd awful tough...
Give it temperature + time and it's better (IMO) than a SnL... better moisture, better texture... Butts are kinda the same, but pork's magic temp makes it a bit more forgiving and easier to hit just right, IMO

I agree with this in that there is still FTC time after a hot and fast cook. It is still easier to get other things done while the meat rests than it is if you are tending the pit.

Prfectly explained and all you need to know
DSCF0057.jpg

Not directed at the poster at all but

Goodness Gracious. I wish I had never started the Hot and Fast revival.

"Culinary folk" can kiss my hairy, mudd encrusted pucker hole.

I didn't see any of those #@&* suckers when I started this **** and now they are trying to get their piece in?

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

2 issues:

First, to the op, it's "BBQ relative" when we're talking low n slow or hot n fast.

Second issue is we have only 2 terms to talk about a temperature range. I think most of us agree that 225 is LnS, and most agree that 350 is HnF. What about the temps in between?

Most of us find that 225 is TOO LnS. For me, i have to choke the crap out of my smokers to hit and hold 225. The results are ghastly bad. My smoker likes the 240-270 range. Which is this; LnS or HnF?

For me, anything under 300 is LnS, and anything over 300 is HnF.

My cooker likes to run around 275-300. I think it is just easier to let it ride than to fight temps and I get good results.

I love running my offset between 300 - 325, to me that's more hot n fast than sitting around waiting on the 225 style.

Don't know about your offset, but mine seems to prefer to run along between 300° and 350°.
Think of it as 'Confessions of a Smoke-A-Holic', but I wouldn't have it any other way. When I used my UDS, I tried doing some things at 225°.
Took too long, I didn't like it as well as at a hotter temp.
SO...
Now I prefer to use my offset from a low of 275° to a high of 350°.
I seem to know what I'm doing in that temp. range.

You are right I can't slice that farker at 3:30 it is too soft. Have to let it tighten up on the counter for 30 minutes. If I coolered it, it would be in a million pieces.

Let me be clear, everyone should cook the way it works for you. There is no one truth. Open your mind and you may find YOUR truth.

I owe my method to Bubba and Redneck Cooker. Both probably think I am crazy.

Back