The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #31
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Ya know, I think that most barbecue is still about the total elapsed time (I think that pork ribs are probably the biggest exception, totally different mass than other common BBQ meats) even with the 3.5 hour brisket that HFoS is talking about, I SERIOUSLY doubt that 3.5hrs is the actual start-to-slice time... my HnF brisket usually hits the color and temp that I want in about 4.5 - 5 hours, but it still rests for at least that much again time in a warm cooler... slice it right off the cooker and it's gawd awful tough...
Give it temperature + time and it's better (IMO) than a SnL... better moisture, better texture... Butts are kinda the same, but pork's magic temp makes it a bit more forgiving and easier to hit just right, IMO
I agree with this in that there is still FTC time after a hot and fast cook. It is still easier to get other things done while the meat rests than it is if you are tending the pit.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #32
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Prfectly explained and all you need to know

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #33
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Prfectly explained and all you need to know
Hahahahah!!!!! Good one Blu, that actually made me laugh out loud.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #34
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Not directed at the poster at all but

Goodness Gracious. I wish I had never started the Hot and Fast revival.

"Culinary folk" can kiss my hairy, mudd encrusted pucker hole.

I didn't see any of those #@&* suckers when I started this **** and now they are trying to get their piece in?

lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #35
elvis67
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
2 issues:

First, to the op, it's "BBQ relative" when we're talking low n slow or hot n fast.

Second issue is we have only 2 terms to talk about a temperature range. I think most of us agree that 225 is LnS, and most agree that 350 is HnF. What about the temps in between?

Most of us find that 225 is TOO LnS. For me, i have to choke the crap out of my smokers to hit and hold 225. The results are ghastly bad. My smoker likes the 240-270 range. Which is this; LnS or HnF?

For me, anything under 300 is LnS, and anything over 300 is HnF.
My cooker likes to run around 275-300. I think it is just easier to let it ride than to fight temps and I get good results.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #36
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-8 View Post
I love running my offset between 300 - 325, to me that's more hot n fast than sitting around waiting on the 225 style.
Don't know about your offset, but mine seems to prefer to run along between 300° and 350°.
Think of it as 'Confessions of a Smoke-A-Holic', but I wouldn't have it any other way. When I used my UDS, I tried doing some things at 225°.
Took too long, I didn't like it as well as at a hotter temp.
SO...
Now I prefer to use my offset from a low of 275° to a high of 350°.
I seem to know what I'm doing in that temp. range.
Ole Man Dan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #37
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Ya know, I think that most barbecue is still about the total elapsed time (I think that pork ribs are probably the biggest exception, totally different mass than other common BBQ meats) even with the 3.5 hour brisket that HFoS is talking about, I SERIOUSLY doubt that 3.5hrs is the actual start-to-slice time... my HnF brisket usually hits the color and temp that I want in about 4.5 - 5 hours, but it still rests for at least that much again time in a warm cooler... slice it right off the cooker and it's gawd awful tough...
Give it temperature + time and it's better (IMO) than a SnL... better moisture, better texture... Butts are kinda the same, but pork's magic temp makes it a bit more forgiving and easier to hit just right, IMO
You are right I can't slice that farker at 3:30 it is too soft. Have to let it tighten up on the counter for 30 minutes. If I coolered it, it would be in a million pieces.

Let me be clear, everyone should cook the way it works for you. There is no one truth. Open your mind and you may find YOUR truth.

I owe my method to Bubba and Redneck Cooker. Both probably think I am crazy.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->