Meat Slicer and Grinder Suggestions?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I finally found something to do with my smoker that will make the girlfriend quite happy... BACON! She loves bacon...

Now... I would like to have an electric meat slicer to slice that stuff up and package it in foodsaver bags. Anyone got any good recommendations on meat slicers for this task that won't break the bank? I have spent a wad on this smoking hobby already and I gotta slow down soon :)

Oh... I also want a decent meat grinder, so any recommendations on those would be appreciated as well...

Right now I have a Hobart slicer that I lucked into. Before that, I had an old Rival. The Rival was OK at small jobs as long as the blade was sharp and the meat was cold. It has died. The Hobart is great, but a PITA for small jobs ( to clean). Right now I slice my bacon with a knife and use the Hobart for bigger runs. Kinda the same with a grinder. I have a Torrey, and a small Gander Mountain. The Torrey is killer, but a PITA for small loads. The GM is OK on small(real small) loads and ez to clean. Ergo, it depends on how much you're processing.

It will probably do as long as you dont try to rush the slicing. Not top quality, but bottom dollar.

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact-food-slicer-42787.html

image_998.jpg

No advice on slicer.If you already have a KA stand mixer they make a grinder unit for it that is inexpensive and does a decent job on small batches.I up graded to one from Harbor Freight that is the BOMB.Easy to use/clean,compact and will do 175 pounds per hour.

I have been using the $99 grinder from Cabela's for a couple of years to make sausage and have been very happy with it. no issues, it cleans up well, does its job.

I would keep checking Craigslist for a used Hobart slicer. I picked up a 512 12" slicer for $100! Here's a couple of pics of the slicer and some buckboard bacon.

Attachments

• IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 120
I would keep checking Craigslist for a used Hobart slicer. I picked up a 512 12" slicer for $100! Here's a couple of pics of the slicer and some buckboard bacon.

Sweet deal! :thumb:

I have a 12" Berkel and love it. It will cut stuff so thin you can see thru it and it has a built in sharpener.

CL has worked for me a few times. I picked up a 10 inch Chef Mate for $250 Not a hundred bucks but a good price where I live.

I'd recommend against the Waring Pro if that one is on your radar. It is a PITA to clean and mine died after just two years of light duty use. The motor uses plastic drive gears.

I am going to see if I can get a Craigslist score like mwmac did!!!!

I would def. check craigslist....I found large commerical meat grinder for $150.00 and a large commerical slicer that I swapped (bartered) for 2 cooked pork butts====2 times $11.90 plus my time to cook them but they were cooking with alot of other ones.

Back