• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Howdy from Yooper Land

Steve991

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
My pellet grill research keeps bringing me back to this forum, so I decided to join. We grew up in Michigan, lived for many years in Texas, and now are pretty much retired and spend most of the year in Upper Michigan. We learned a lot about BBQ in Texas and want to get a pellet grill. We know people with Traegers, but really want to buy one made in the USA. My wife wants one that will do it all--so once I figure out what that means we'll be ordering one. :) I have been studying Mak, Blaz'n, Yoder, Memphis, Cook Shack...and am open to any advice.

Many of the posts here are far over my skill level, but I think I'm still young enough to learn something. (My wife may not agree.)

Steve

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome to the Brethren! You’re definitely looking at the cream of the crop in the world of pellet cooker‘s! That said, you can immediately scratch Memphis from the list if US-made is one of the criteria. Curious to hear where your research has taken you up to this point… are you starting to lean toward one or two specific manufacturers yet?

Welcome Steve. You are certainly in the right place to hone your cooking skills, and there are several brethren here that can give you advice and get you pointed in the right direction to purchase and use your pellet grill. We are going on your journey with you.

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona.

Thanks everyone. Ironically I was just about to strike Memphis from my list when I read rwalters comment about them. Thanks to rwalters for confirming that they are now made in China. I hope some of these manufacturers start coming back to the USA.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

rwalters asked if we were leaning toward one or two specific manufacturers--and we are. Mak has moved to the top of our list. We like the Two-Star. We also like Yoder. Blaz'n would currently be our 3rd choice. We have also been studying Pitts & Spitts. My wife is pretty much ready to order, but I am still reading about all of them. Lots of great info here and elsewhere on the web.

rwalters asked if we were leaning toward one or two specific manufacturers--and we are. Mak has moved to the top of our list. We like the Two-Star. We also like Yoder. Blaz'n would currently be our 3rd choice. We have also been studying Pitts & Spitts. My wife is pretty much ready to order, but I am still reading about all of them. Lots of great info here and elsewhere on the web.

What specifically has MAK at the top of the list? Always curious to hear what others are thinking! :)

What specifically has MAK at the top of the list? Always curious to hear what others are thinking! :)
We got interested in pellet grills for their ability to slow cook and smoke. Costco had a Traeger rep who gave a very impressive sales pitch (we could hardly get away from the guy), and some friends have a Traeger and love it. So we started looking there, but quickly decided that we needed to buy an American made product. We talked with a couple of people who really like WiFi enabled grills—so that eliminated Cookshack and Smokin Brothers. We like a good story and were drawn toward Blaz’n by their videos—the owner seems like a great guy. We have grilled on propane and charcoal for years but would really like to retire our Weber and just use one grill. That’s why Yoder drew our attention, plus it looks like something a real man would use! But where we live in Upper Michigan is cold and often wet, and stuff rusts. We had a premium built-in stainless steel propane grill at a house we sold in Texas and really liked how it survived outside. So stainless steel led us to consider Pitts and Splitts, and MAK. We really had nothing against Pitts and Splitts, but the MAK’s features just seemed to pile up. We like their Flamezone, the warmer/smoker box, and the optional door. Then we started reading more about them and really like their story. The Two-Star is the most expensive grill on our list, but my wife and I really value the stories in life. American made, Veterans, and stainless steel, my wife is ready to order. I’m still thinking but am very close.

We got interested in pellet grills for their ability to slow cook and smoke. Costco had a Traeger rep who gave a very impressive sales pitch (we could hardly get away from the guy), and some friends have a Traeger and love it. So we started looking there, but quickly decided that we needed to buy an American made product. We talked with a couple of people who really like WiFi enabled grills—so that eliminated Cookshack and Smokin Brothers. We like a good story and were drawn toward Blaz’n by their videos—the owner seems like a great guy. We have grilled on propane and charcoal for years but would really like to retire our Weber and just use one grill. That’s why Yoder drew our attention, plus it looks like something a real man would use! But where we live in Upper Michigan is cold and often wet, and stuff rusts. We had a premium built-in stainless steel propane grill at a house we sold in Texas and really liked how it survived outside. So stainless steel led us to consider Pitts and Splitts, and MAK. We really had nothing against Pitts and Splitts, but the MAK’s features just seemed to pile up. We like their Flamezone, the warmer/smoker box, and the optional door. Then we started reading more about them and really like their story. The Two-Star is the most expensive grill on our list, but my wife and I really value the stories in life. American made, Veterans, and stainless steel, my wife is ready to order. I’m still thinking but am very close.

Love it! Sounds like we should already be welcoming you to the MAK family :)

Back