BBQ/Golf Bonanza

fatguyputter

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am a fairly seasoned weekend BBQer, but certainly not with the expertise of many of you on this site. That being said, I am cooking for a group of about 16 people after a golf tourney and trying to throw in several BBQ options for them. I plan to do pork butt, hot links, ribs, and chicken quarters. My equipment is two WSM cookers and a Hasty Bake. I am trying to figure out my cooking process--My original thought was to put the pork butt and 4 or 5 racks of ribs on one WSM at about 275, with a combo of hickory and apple wood. And then do the chicken and links on the other smoker at 300+ with apple only. Thoughts were that shorter cooking time and higher heat were needed. Then use the Hasty bake to crisp skin on chicken and links if necessary. We are eating at 6:30 pm and I am golfing all day, so thought I would start the butt at 8:00am, then add the ribs at 10:00am before I left for the course. I will have the other smoker going strong as well (all day--I know that is a waste of fuel, but cant be helped). Will be done golfing at about 4:30, then throw on the chicken in smoker 2 upon arrival, then hot links after that. And finally tend to the ribs and butt as needed to be ready at 6:30-7:00pm????Let me know your thoughts on this and share any suggestions that you think are appropriate.

Also, I forgot to include that my wife will watch pit temp, and knows how to control it. She will also foil and put goodies on the ribs at 3 hour mark and then will unfoil at 5 hour mark. If I'm not back, she will take ribs off at 5.5 hour mark and cooler and foil. She will do same with pork butt if necessary, but I'm guessing not.

I'd be tempted to do the butt the day before and just heat it up the next day. Be sure to include some finishing sauce. I would think that the ribs at 275 would be done in 3-3.5 hr for a nice bite through.... check with the bend test. Have fun !!!!

Wow, lot going on there. Don't forget to add in the beer fog.
Ed

Is cook the butt day before and vac seal it. I’ve tried days like this before and usually something happens and things go sideways. Mostly because of beers involved in my case. Butt day before would be one less thing to worry about. Ribs are risky as I couldn’t imagine more than 4 hours at 275 or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Since you have your wife to pull them I'd at least start the butts early and have her just put them in a cooler for a longer hold. As others said, day before and reheat would work too.

That's a long time for the ribs too -- though, mine usually stink so I'm probably not who you want to take advice from on that specific protein.

Good luck with the cook!

Back