MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
Sweet Daddy-D
On the road to being a farker

Default Third Smoke-First Chicken

Tomorrow if all goes as planned, I'll be smokin up my first bird. This will make my third smoke on my WSM 18.6. First was ribs-one rack spares, one rack BBs. I'd give the BBs a C+ and the space a D+. Second smoke was a butt, I give that a sold A-. Tomorrow the plan is 2 spatchcocked birds rubbed every which way on and under the skin, looking at a target of 300 to 325 degrees heat. I'll watch it with my Maverick 732 until it hits 165, which I will verify with my brand new Thermopen (the faster than fast grey model).

My questions are- assuming I can't fit both birds on the top rack, will I need to be concerned about a temp differential between the two racks? Should I set the probe in the top bird or the bottom bird? I haven't used two racks yet.

Will I get any crispness of the skin at these temps?

How does a mix of hickory and cherry sound?

Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hickory is great, cherry will work too.
You won't get crispy skin that I require at those temps.
You can crisp it at higher temps later, but I'd pull it at a lower IT.
Once it sits at 155 for 8 minutes you have no food safety issues and the meat will be juicier.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #3
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Yep, you may want temps of 325 on up to 375 to get that crispy skin. Wood of choice sounds fine, just be careful, chicken soaks up smoke like a sponge so go easy or it can be overwhelming.

KC

Old 07-21-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

350+ All through.

CHeers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
Yep, you may want temps of 325 on up to 375 to get that crispy skin. Wood of choice sounds fine, just be careful, chicken soaks up smoke like a sponge so go easy or it can be overwhelming.

KC
The last time I smoked chicken, after the vertical smoker got to temp (275 degrees in my case), I threw in a small handful of apple pellets. It started smoking.. I waited a couple of minutes for the pellets to get a good start then put the chicken in. The pellets burned up pretty fast and the chicken had minimal exposure to the wood smoke. The chicken turned out wonderful--just the right amount of smoke.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

I like just straight cherry smoke for my chicken!