MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #10366
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

I will say if you paint your UDS chargers colors your cook will start great but wont finish! So stick with Black and Yellow!!
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #10367
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulledporky View Post
Question for ya fellows, does anybody know is a 5 gallon bucket handle is galvanized? Was thinking about attaching one to my charcoal basket. What do y'all think?
Dunno about bucket handles but I'm pretty sure coat hangers aren't galvanized. :)
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #10368
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulledporky View Post
Question for ya fellows, does anybody know is a 5 gallon bucket handle is galvanized? Was thinking about attaching one to my charcoal basket. What do y'all think?
Ive had one on mine since day one YMMV

Old 12-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #10369
Sizzl
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzl View Post
Look on Craigslist for a food grade drum. If not then you can use an automotive drum but you must get it real hot to burn off the toxins before using for cooking.

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2
The food grade drum I used didn't have a liner.it had butchers blend cooking oil in it. No liner...

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Old 12-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #10370
gjmoran
Knows what a fatty is.

i used a 5 gal bucket handle for my charcoal basket but did a test burn with it before actually cookign on it. does the galvanization cause airborn toxins or something?
gjmoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #10371
sethga
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslauver View Post
Sethga, Did you powder coat your drum yourself, or did you have someone do it for you?
I have been looking into building my own oven for powder coating. However I am interested in what it would cost to have it done.

I had someone do it - I have a friend with a powdercoating business. It's about $200 in labor + materials.. Costly? Yup. Durable and awesome looking? You bet!.

I made the mistake of having him sandblast it first as I was planning on welding, but I ended up bolting / riveting everything. They have to sandblast it again before powdercoating, to get any oils from your hands / whatever off of it. Better to just get the drum, make your holes everywhere, and then send it off for blasting / coating.
sethga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #10372
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmoran View Post
i used a 5 gal bucket handle for my charcoal basket but did a test burn with it before actually cookign on it. does the galvanization cause airborn toxins or something?
You don't want to open that can of worms...

Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #10373
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa View Post
I will say if you paint your UDS chargers colors your cook will start great but wont finish! So stick with Black and Yellow!!
You must be thinking of the Dallas Cowboys
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #10374
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

No that drum would look "flashy" but have "choking" issues at the exhaust creating "inconsistent" cooks.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #10375
sam.t
Found some matches.

Hello All,
Having read 6000 + posts, I am still a little confused about the 57cm / 22 1/2" weber replacement grate you guys are buying.
Is this measurement the weber smoker itself or is it the grate ?
My drum measures 20" internal diameter, so the real question is...would the 57cm / 22 1/2" weber replacement grate fit inside ?
Any help appreciated,
Cheers and beers
Sam.T
sam.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #10376
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.t View Post
Hello All,
Having read 6000 + posts, I am still a little confused about the 57cm / 22 1/2" weber replacement grate you guys are buying.
My drum measures 20" internal diameter, so the real question is...would the 57cm / 22 1/2" weber replacement grate fit inside ?
Any help appreciated,
Cheers and beers
Sam.T
No.. it won't.... drums come in different sizes.

the 22.5" grate you talk about fits the 23" Diameter drums.

I don't know if you'll find a grate for your drum... but you should try www.ebay.com ... you find basically everything there.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #10377
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.t View Post
Hello All,
Any help appreciated,
Cheers and beers
Sam.T
How about buying the cooking grates for the 18.5" kettles? you will likely need longer bolts to hold them in place. Hopefully the length of the bolts won't interfere with pulling the charcoal basket in and out. Another option might be to rig levels in your drum by bolting short lengths of chain that would hook onto the grates. When you take the grates out, the chains would fall to the side and leave plenty of room for basket removal. I have not tried this - just thinking aloud.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #10378
FORY
Got Wood.

here it is....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7432-Weber-1...item3a7c331b59

Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #10379
sam.t
Found some matches.

Thank you chaps, just found one on the UK ebay, You have come up trumps again, soon time to start my build, nearly have everything I need now, a bit of dry weather and sunshine would help though !
sam.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #10380
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Was doing a walk about west of the UT campus in Austin this morning, and what do my wondering eyes to appear - but a very bright red smoker inside a food trailers (vendor was not open). I would post the picture I snapped of it- but through the window and bugscreen, it does not do it any favors. That said, it had a tag on it and I googled it back to it's manufacturer - http://www.facebook.com/RileySmokers. Will not link to a pic there - but it was a simple but very attractive build. Very possibly used stainless hardware and powder coating (that is my wag - no research to prove it positive).

Anyway was fun seeing another UDS in the wild, and it a place I would never have expected. The trailer was sugar shack bbq - which is a friend of theirs on facebook.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker