MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

wow they actually sent me a copy of the business licence!

guess I am all set!!!
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #17
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

They may want more than a tax ID. The reason for the tax id is to show that tax is being paid on a retail level and not there at the wholesale. That tax ID is turned over to the IRS to show who needs to pay tax on the items there weren't already taxed at the store.
The day pass you can get with your KCBS membership you pay taxes on the items you buy since you aren't reselling them as a food business would.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
They may want more than a tax ID. The reason for the tax id is to show that tax is being paid on a retail level and not there at the wholesale. That tax ID is turned over to the IRS to show who needs to pay tax on the items there weren't already taxed at the store.
The day pass you can get with your KCBS membership you pay taxes on the items you buy since you aren't reselling them as a food business would.
thanks.

I am not trying to get out of paying sales tax.

If I dont have enough to satisfy them then they cant take their membership and place it in an area thats dark and warm and doesnt smell very good.

I dont need it that bad lol

Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

well...

I got it!!

took 2 trips but I got it

First I took our biz licnece and tax ID number.

They did not care about the licence.

Do not need that

What they did need was our tax ID document, not just the number.

So I took them a copy of our W-9 form that has the info on it, thats all they needed.

hope this helps

thanks!!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
j20832
On the road to being a farker

I thought they also need a letter from the business stating that you are authorized to purchase. Is that not so?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by j20832 View Post
I thought they also need a letter from the business stating that you are authorized to purchase. Is that not so?
no not at the one I was at anyway.

they say all of that on their website, I think its just to discourage unauthorised people, I dont really know

Heres some RD pron. Had to take a pic!!

Last edited by ButtBurner; 07-23-2015 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
posey's_pork_pit
is one Smokin' Farker

Restaurant Depot is so inconsistent. I do not have a business license (not required) but I do have a tax id. RD opened an account but when I tried to use my card, they insisted I bring a business license. I explained ad nauseum that a business license was not required and it did not matter; they wanted a business license so my account was cancelled. Fine! I joined KCBS and now I have a perpetual day pass. What I mean by that is once I got the day pass slip of paper, they just hand it back to me at the register. I can't wait for Phil to send me a BBQ Brethren card so I can get a permanent RD account ~ my slip of paper is getting a bit long in the tooth if you know what I mean.
Smokey Joe Silver w/wooden handle a.k.a. Mini Me, Weber Smokey Joe Platinum date code ER

Sipsey: Secret's in the sauce.
posey's_pork_pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by posey's_pork_pit View Post
Restaurant Depot is so inconsistent. I do not have a business license (not required) but I do have a tax id. RD opened an account but when I tried to use my card, they insisted I bring a business license. I explained ad nauseum that a business license was not required and it did not matter; they wanted a business license so my account was cancelled. Fine! I joined KCBS and now I have a perpetual day pass. What I mean by that is once I got the day pass slip of paper, they just hand it back to me at the register. I can't wait for Phil to send me a BBQ Brethren card so I can get a permanent RD account ~ my slip of paper is getting a bit long in the tooth if you know what I mean.
yeah, from what I have read you never know how they will handle it. Thi first time when I did not have the Tax ID doc, she gave me a 1 day pass anyway.

I did not know that there is Brethren card coming? whats going on with that?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #24
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I'm in California and own a non-food related small business. A Federal Tax ID and a Seller's Permit (Board of Equalization) issued by the state are two different things obviously. I would assume they need to see your Seller's Permit for verification as virtually anyone can get a Federal Tax ID, on-line, immediately, and that would be too easy.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I'm in California and own a non-food related small business. A Federal Tax ID and a Seller's Permit (Board of Equalization) issued by the state are two different things obviously. I would assume they need to see your Seller's Permit for verification as virtually anyone can get a Federal Tax ID, on-line, immediately, and that would be too easy.
I know.

All I gave them was a copy of the Federal form W-9 that my employer filled out that gives them thier EIN (employer ID Number), which is also the Tax ID. I had a biz licence, she did not even look at it. Said I did not need it

Also strange was she was supposed to copy my drivers licence. But their copier did not work, she told me just to stop by the desk next time I was in and they would copy it then. Did not seem concerned about that either.

there was also a form in the packet about buying tax exempt, which I am not doing. I am paying tax on everything, I still had to sign that form, she said it was just for thier records, even though I did not fill it out. Just signed it

Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not a member of RD yet but what seems odd is that I can probably use my business Seller's Permit and and not pay sales tax (about 10%) for my RD purchases and that would be a significant savings. These purchases will obviously be for personal use and consumption.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #27
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I'm not a member of RD yet but what seems odd is that I can probably use my business Seller's Permit and and not pay sales tax (about 10%) for my RD purchases and that would be a significant savings. These purchases will obviously be for personal use and consumption.
If you want to avoid the sales tax then you have to fill out an exemption form stating that it is for resale purposes.

In Michigan anyway...

Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #28
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

Can we get some clarification here

There is a difference between an EIN (Employer Identification Number) issued by the I.R.S., and a state tax ID number, issued by the state. Since there is no Federal Sales Tax, at least not yet, I fail to see how an EIN could be used to exempt anyone from paying a state’s Sales Tax.

An EIN is pretty simple to get from www.irs.gov, but at least here in NC, all you have to do is fill out a form to get a “Sales Tax Number”. The stickler is that once you are issued a “Sales Tax Number” NC expects the sales tax forms/reports to be filed each month/quarter, even if no taxable sales were made.

So, is it an EIN that is required or a state Sales Tax Number (i.e. tax exempt number)

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #29
ZBucket
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Signing up for Restaruant Depot

You will need to show them your business license and be an owner

Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #30
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_gator View Post
Can we get some clarification here

There is a difference between an EIN (Employer Identification Number) issued by the I.R.S., and a state tax ID number, issued by the state. Since there is no Federal Sales Tax, at least not yet, I fail to see how an EIN could be used to exempt anyone from paying a state’s Sales Tax.

An EIN is pretty simple to get from www.irs.gov, but at least here in NC, all you have to do is fill out a form to get a “Sales Tax Number”. The stickler is that once you are issued a “Sales Tax Number” NC expects the sales tax forms/reports to be filed each month/quarter, even if no taxable sales were made.

So, is it an EIN that is required or a state Sales Tax Number (i.e. tax exempt number)
I never said that the EIN had anything to do with the state sales tax. Its for federal payroll tax, if I said or implied that I am sorry, it was a mistake on my part

All I am telling you is this is what it took to get me the membership.

I did not have to present any kind of sales licence.

Look up federal from W 9. The number on it is the federal tax number, or EIN (employer ID number)

thats what I have her. that should answer the questions. This was in Michigan, I have no idea if it applies to other RD's.