Brethren Butt & Brisket

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I took a much needed vacation day today and decided to take advantage of it by cooking for the "By Brethren For Brethren" Throwdown.

Last night I took one of the Choice packer briskets I recently found. This one started at 8.58 lbs and after a healthy trimming, it weighed in at just over 7 lbs. For the briskey, I had some great Brethren made products ready to go (Butcher BBQ Brisket Injection and Plowboys Bovine Bold rub):

IMG_7275.jpg

Then I went to work on the butt. I mixed up some of Mister Bob's pork injection (AJ, apple cider vinegar, splash of worcestershire) plus some rub and injected it. A little later I topped it off with a combo of Plowboys Yardbird & Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub (which smells SO GOOD) - my apologies if mixing brethren products is a no-no but we like the combo:

IMG_7287.jpg

Just before 2 AM, I fired up Jabba the Egg with a mix of hickory and brother Oakpit's (Green Leaf BBQ) wine-infused oak:

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7285.jpg

and got the meat on at 2:40 AM:

IMG_7290.jpg

7 hours later went to foil the butt:

IMG_7293.jpg

Cook is still in progress... more to follow...

Sorry for the delay, I've eaten my way into a food coma and I'm not moving too quickly anymore...

Continuing from where I left off...

It was a pretty small packer after 90 minutes @ 225 I went hot & fast to end up ready to separate the flat from the point in under 8 hours and without foiling it during the cook:
IMG_7299.jpg

The point was cubed, rubbed and sauced with a Blues Hog Original/Red mix and placed onto a Frogmat and back into the Egg:
IMG_7308.jpg

The flat was put into a foil pan and placed into a preheated cooler along with the butt and put under the watch of my guard dog:
IMG_7312.jpg

A couple of friends arrived at Noon for some lunch. Here's the spread...
Burnt ends:
IMG_7313.jpg

IMG_7334.jpg

Pork butt:
IMG_7321.jpg

pic hazy from the steam off the pork:
IMG_7324.jpg

Sliced brisket:
IMG_7326.jpg

IMG_7331.jpg

IMG_7332.jpg

And my plate (not previously mentioned - Big Butz Original sauce is on the pulled pork and is a great complement to it!):
IMG_7345.jpg

It was a nice day to cook... except I'm beat now and need a day off to rest from my day off. :yawn:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I was gonna say, that watch dog looks more bored than viscous. The meat looks terrific, everything looks just right.

That's downright gorgeous!!!! I MUST do a Brisky this weekend. Been slacking on trying new recipes and my first injection trials.

John, that looks great as usual. The one bite I had of that brisket was oh, so nice. Very tendy and juicy. Thanks again!

how many degrees is desirable for the brisket to know that its done already?

how many degrees is desirable for the brisket to know that its done already?

The best indicator for checking on when brisket is done is to probe it. It really should be very tender and offer little resistance to the probe. You'll hear people refer the probe inserting like it's going into butter.

That being said, I don't typically even start probing until IT reaches about 190 degrees. It isn't uncommon for my briskets to be over 200 degrees before they pass the probe test.

If you haven't checked out Bigabyte's brisket tutorial, it's a highly recommended read.

Wow. Looks delicious. Motivating me to finally conquer my fears and cook a decent brisket

oh man, not a thing there looked or tasted bad. Great job.

Back