MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
ocirus73
Found some matches.

Default Smoker Temp Help

Hello all. First post, long time lurker. I recently purchased a Dyna-Glo offset vertical smoker. With the firebox intake and the chimney valve full open, I can not get the temperature above 175. Also, I'm using a Maverick ET-73 for the temp and Frontier lump for the fuel. Any help would be appreciated.
ocirus73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

what are you using for fuel?
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

You're going to have to Burn wood in there - Wood burns much hotter than Charcoal

If you want to run on Charcoal build a UDS or order a pit barrel cooker

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Well you've got yourself a "stick burner" and charcoal while being great to start with is not the best fuel for your cooker, it's wood that she craves!
Here's my fire starting and maintenance method that can be tweaked to fit pretty much any offset, I hope it will help you a little!

STARTING A FIRE IN AN OFFSET
The best way to run your offset is to build a good, hot wood fire and develop a thick bed of coals to thoroughly heat the pit. Leave the exhaust dampers wide open and adjust the temps with your intake damper. Here's my fire building method...
Open the doors and all of the dampers to the pit. Start with an 8 to 10 lb bag of LUMP charcoal, filling a chimney with about half to light and pour the rest into the firebox. When your chimney is thoroughly lit, pour the lit coals on to the mound of unlit coals in the firebox, put a couple of wood splits on top and allow them to burn down to begin generating more coals. When the wood splits have fully ignited and are ashed over, shut the doors and leave the dampers fully open to allow plenty of draft as the pit heats up.
Once the temp climbs to about 25 degrees or so above where you want to cook at, begin adjusting down on the intake damper until you have dialed in your cooking temp and then once the first two splits have sufficiently burned down to coals add another wood split to begin a routine of a split every 45 minutes to an hour. This way you are constantly adding to the coal bed and your temps are staying pretty much consistent. As long as you add your splits when they are needed your pit will practically run itself and though there will be SOME fluctuation in temps when opening the firebox door and when the newly added split catches on, the pit will recover very quickly, you'll be cooking in a ZONE.
If you want to cook at 275 for instance, work to maintain a zone of 50 degrees and maintain the temp in an area between 250 and 300. The temp will fall to between 250 and 275 when the pit is ready for another split and then the temp will rise to between 275 and 300 as the split ignites but eventually the temp will settle in to the 275 that you have the intake damper set for. Again, as long as you're adding your splits regularly your pit will pretty much be on auto pilot and you'll never have to worry about losing your temps or dirty smoke.
P.S. Again, it's important to make all temp adjustments with your INTAKE damper only, the exhaust should remain wide open throughout the cook.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Odd, it should do much better. It is essentially a thin-skin Bandera style cooker so maybe searching on how folks manage fires in a Bandera will help. Like ButtBurner what kind of fuel & how much? I would probably be using a combination of charcoal (completely lit in a chimney and 2x2 to 2x4 sized splits). Are you running the intake and exhaust dampers wide open to get up to temp? Once up to temp I would try to leave the exhaust wide open and control with the intake dampers.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
ocirus73
Found some matches.

I'm using Frontier Brand lump hardwood coals.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
ocirus73
Found some matches.

Both the intake and exhaust dampers were wide open. Just would never get higher than 175 degrees.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocirus73 View Post
Both the intake and exhaust dampers were wide open. Just would never get higher than 175 degrees.
Another thing to consider is wether there's any kind of obstruction such as a charcoal basket or anything that may be blocking airflow? An offset MUST draft well in order to distribute heat efficiently.
Again, try my method (above) out next time and see if it makes a difference.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

can you crack the door on the firebox and see if more oxygen helps. But I would think even with just lump it should get over 175. Also be sure that you are using a big enough load of lump.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
ocirus73
Found some matches.

This is a image of the charcoal basket. Could this be the issue?

Old 11-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #11
SmittyJonz

Old 11-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #12
ocirus73
Found some matches.

I will be purchasing some wood and giving it a try. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
SmittyJonz

Put the charcoal basket in the bottom of cook chamber 2" off floor.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #14
SmittyJonz

Quote:
I will be purchasing some wood and giving it a try. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.
. Run a 50/50 mix of lump and mini logs - Wood chunks will burn up too fast and cost too much buying by the bag.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
This is a image of the charcoal basket. Could this be the issue?
Yep, if that thing is fully loaded you can imagine the obstruction that it's creating, blocking your airflow. Unfortunately most of the cookers that are sold in the box stores or are mass produced are marketed as "charcoal/wood" smokers when in fact ANY offset will operate much better on wood.