Had dinner with PAUL KIRK TONIGHT!!!

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Takin his class tomorrow!

He seems like a pretty cool guy. Doesnt sound like he's gonna hold anything back.

Well it wasnt part of the class so the class organizer paid for Chef Paul and the rest of us were on our own. Worth it though. The closest Ive come to any of the big names before tonight was seeing Mike Davis and Johnny Trigg from a distance a few months ago at our first comp.

I freakin LOVE his rub on ribs... just a light shake... man, seriously one of the best flavors on pork ribs I've had. Simple - perfect - yeah...

Paul's class is great, I took it '05 and had good results. Started competing soon after and won many awards.

Was that the guy who used the cherry rub despite Trigg warning him not to?

Class was great had a blast! Learned alot from this guy, and he is as straight of a shooter as you will ever come across.

I love that he teaches how to cook without foil or sauce. Not that he is against sauce, but he puts the emphasis on cooking the meat, and building your own flavor profile.

:p

:icon_shy

Sorry,

Don't know that much about comp Q. Took a class to become a better cook,

BUT... there ought to be a site with info on the World Champions. The guy has won 7 times, kinda hard to take Myron's claims of being the king based on just 3 seriously. Seven times is an amazing feat.

Oh, the other guy is Paul Peterson (broke out season 1 of BPM to get his name). There ought to be a site to commemorate people like Paul, too: coming in dead last in 3 straight comps has got to be a record.

Sorry,

Don't know that much about comp Q. Took a class to become a better cook,

BUT... there ought to be a site with info on the World Champions. The guy has won 7 times, kinda hard to take Myron's claims of being the king based on just 3 seriously. Seven times is an amazing feat.

www.kcbs.us
www.mbnbbq.com
www.memphisinmay.org

TOY for MBN in '09 was...Jack's Old South. They were also MIM TOY for 8 years and they have 180 GCs, so I don't think it was based just on 3 World Championships, but rather total $ won.

Hey, I only met the guy once, but I think he gets slammed a lot on here because of the TV show. Maybe King of Barbeque is a little over the top, but it makes for good TV. (At least season 1...:p) There are plenty of other people around that are legends too, like Paul Kirk, Jonny Trigg, and of lot of farkers that post on here. You know who you are. :becky:

Appreciate the links, but I was thinking more of a tribute site to the World Champions. Even computer programmers have those.

Who picked up the tab?

I took Chef's class in 2007 and was cooking on a UDS and WSM. People were kinda laughing my drum off, but Paul let everyone know he started out cooking on drums himself, different style, but low budget. After that people started coming around to check mine out.
The next year, I was taking a PNWBA Judging class and just came early to hang and help out. During a a lull in the action Paul asked me how the drum was working out for me and told me how he cooked on his back in the day. I was surprised he even remembered me let alone my UDS, but he did, given all the classes he'd taught since then.

IMG_0262.jpg

I took Chef's class in 2007 and was cooking on a UDS and WSM. People were kinda laughing my drum off, but Paul let everyone know he started out cooking on drums himself, different style, but low budget. After that people started coming around to check mine out.
The next year, I was taking a PNWBA Judging class and just came early to hang and help out. During a a lull in the action Paul asked me how the drum was working out for me and told me how he cooked on his back in the day. I was surprised he even remembered me let alone my UDS, but he did, given all the classes he'd taught since then.

IMG_0262.jpg

I met him in Maine in 2009. I wonder if he had washed the shirt.

001.jpg

Brian,

I might be something like that Seinfeld episode with the Pepsi girl who always wears the same outfit: he may have a whole closet full of those shirts.

If he doesn't, maybe that one is just wearing out.

I had a beloved shirt of the Red Wing's "Grind Line" that disappeared one day: my wife decided enough was enough, and threw it away. I'm still p'd off.

Back