"double" texas grill???

2K1TJ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was given 2 new, unlined 55 gallon drums. I already have a uds, so i thought I'd make a Texas grill style offset w/ one of these.

Then I thought, why not place them open end to open end, weld them together, and make a double one? Firebox would go underneath, rather than offset on one end. Exhaust stack on each end.

Anybody seen such a creature before? Any reason why it wouldn't work?

I would work, just make sure your inlet to the cooking chambers is big enough. There are some builds where they didn't get the inlet big enough and it caused problems getting it up to temp.

In my friends neighborhood fire department they have a huge grill made out of 4 55 gal drums welded together. Seems to work well for large cooks. Sorry I don't have pics of it.

Here is something I have on the back burner. I used a Chargriller and a 35 with a Vogelzang kit.

IMG_0109-3.jpg

IMG_0110-4.jpg

IMG_0109-2.jpg

Thought I had a pic of more finished cooker, anyhow here is video of seconf exhaust install.

I would work, just make sure your inlet to the cooking chambers is big enough. There are some builds where they didn't get the inlet big enough and it caused problems getting it up to temp.

I second that. Saw a thread on here not too long ago by a guy who did the same thing you're talking about and he had all kinds of temp issues.

Make sure your firebox, smoke inlet and exhausts are large enough. You can always damper them down, but you can't increase them once they're installed.

I am planning on a build similar to what you're talking about, only using 3 drums:

SiameseTwins.jpg

Thanks guys.

Anybody have any idea what size my firebox would need to be, and how big the opening should be to the cooking chamber, and how big the exhaust should be (1 on each end)? I've seen a calculator floating around, but I'm not sure if it would be good on this small scale.

Interesting idea, Sean. I'd like to see how it turns out.

I was playing around with a smoker calculator and it looks like I might be able to use a 30 gallon drum for the firebox. It works out to be about 30% of the volume of the cooking chamber, a little short of the recommended 1/3. This should be close enough, shouldn't it? Should I go bigger?

I was gonna use one of those stove kits for the door and 6" damper. Going by what the calculator says though, I f I use 6" openings, I'd need 2.49 of them. I would've thought 2 would be more than enough. Does this sound right? I didn't want to run anything bigger between the firebox & cooking chamber.

Back