HELP: cooking first whole hog

Jeff Selle

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
JUST REPOSTED IN Q-TALK

Ok, so I have read a lot about whole hog cooking, but I have never done one and I have a buddy that wants a Hawaii 5-0 party for his 50th B-day. I ordered a 60 pound pig (which could be 100#), and I have to cook it on a gas (but very accurate gas) grill. This grill is huge and was custom built by an asphalt company that uses the same technology to melt road materials!

I am going to need some help, here. Let me give you some specifics...

I tested the thing with my stoker. The grill is connected to a temp control unit that fires a gas jet under a 3/8" stainless steel deflecter plate. Set the controls at 350 F and the the middle of the grill is spot on and the ends of the 4-foot grill are 25-30 degrees cooler... after an hour or so the temps balance out with the lid down (the whole grill is double wall stainless steel and an inch thick with high temp insulation in the middle).

I figure if I build a 6 to 8-inch mound of tinfoil in the middle section under the pig, I can deflect the heat to the front and hind quarters and delay the mid-section cook, but does that dry out the middle? Should I foil the whole mid section? and if so will that speed up the cook?

Also, I detect a disturbance in the "force" between the low and slow and hot and fast on whole hog cooking (well and everything else).

Temps I have seen for whole hog show a range of 225-350 (by various pitmasters I totally respect and follow). I have read 12 hours for a 60 pounds at 350 which is hard to swallow... but, then agan, I haven't cooked one of these. PLEASE HELP

I am not competition cooking, but quality is of high importance and timing is really important on this one, too... I want great BBQ, but as predictable as possible... so, what is the best temp and what should I figure for time per pound on this?

(This dude has a hot tub and wine cellar so I can I do an all-nighter. Therefore, low and slow wont kill me until the "turn in," but hotter and faster saves me some time on my grandson's birthday weekend).

What to do? What to do?

Last edited:
I did a 60lb porker a couple of weeks ago. I had to cut it in ½ to fit on 2 Treagers it wouldn't fit on one. At 250° the head & shoulders was done in about 8 ½ hours % the other ½ took about another 45 min.

where you think the hottest spots are under the pig, place a brisket flat under the pig, this will absorb the heat and help insulate the pig, this assuming you are cooking it on its back.

JUST REPOSTED IN Q-TALK

Ok, so I have read a lot about whole hog cooking, but I have never done one and I have a buddy that wants a Hawaii 5-0 party for his 50th B-day. I ordered a 60 pound pig (which could be 100#), and I have to cook it on a gas (but very accurate gas) grill. This grill is huge and was custom built by an asphalt company that uses the same technology to melt road materials!

I am going to need some help, here. Let me give you some specifics...

I tested the thing with my stoker. The grill is connected to a temp control unit that fires a gas jet under a 3/8" stainless steel deflecter plate. Set the controls at 350 F and the the middle of the grill is spot on and the ends of the 4-foot grill are 25-30 degrees cooler... after an hour or so the temps balance out with the lid down (the whole grill is double wall stainless steel and an inch thick with high temp insulation in the middle).

I figure if I build a 6 to 8-inch mound of tinfoil in the middle section under the pig, I can deflect the heat to the front and hind quarters and delay the mid-section cook, but does that dry out the middle? Should I foil the whole mid section? and if so will that speed up the cook?

Also, I detect a disturbance in the "force" between the low and slow and hot and fast on whole hog cooking (well and everything else).

Temps I have seen for whole hog show a range of 225-350 (by various pitmasters I totally respect and follow). I have read 12 hours for a 60 pounds at 350 which is hard to swallow... but, then agan, I haven't cooked one of these. PLEASE HELP

I am not competition cooking, but quality is of high importance and timing is really important on this one, too... I want great BBQ, but as predictable as possible... so, what is the best temp and what should I figure for time per pound on this?

(This dude has a hot tub and wine cellar so I can I do an all-nighter. Therefore, low and slow wont kill me until the "turn in," but hotter and faster saves me some time on my grandson's birthday weekend).

What to do? What to do?

Sounds like fun!! No real help here but I'd like to see some pics of the cook!

Back