brisket burnt ends

M

mjancel

what are burnt ends from a brisket. what do you do with them. im confused. i am going to cook one soon. thanks

Traditionally, burnt ends are the overcooked (burnt) ends of the brisket that were chopped and served with sauce. Since we don't cook enough briskets to have enough true burnt ends, we usually make them from the brisket point.

Once a brisket is done I cut off the point, re-season it and put it back in the pit for a couple of hours to render more fat and give it a good bark. Then I cube the point and put it in a pan with sauce and cook it some more to set the sauce and get the outside of the chunks nice and crispy.

Traditionally, burnt ends are the overcooked (burnt) ends of the brisket that were chopped and served with sauce. Since we don't cook enough briskets to have enough true burnt ends, we usually make them from the brisket point.

Once a brisket is done I cut off the point, re-season it and put it back in the pit for a couple of hours to render more fat and give it a good bark. Then I cube the point and put it in a pan with sauce and cook it some more to set the sauce and get the outside of the chunks nice and crispy.

What he said (that's twice today I've just quoted Ron_L for my answer!).
I do them slightly different in that I cube the point, add rub, and then mix in the sauce all at the same time. Mainly cause I'm too lazy to do it in two stages like Ron_L. Then they go back on the smoker in a foil pan for 2 hours at high heat. Two pics below, first one after I've cubed the point, added the rub and sauce, and second one is after a couple of hours in the smoker.
I don't compete, mine are just for public consumption. I like em better than the sliced flat to be honest.

And I guess technically you could argue that they aren't REALLY burnt ends since they are kind of "fabricated" from the cubed point, but most people call them burnt ends anyway.

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

not to hijack, but could one freeze the cooked point and use it later in chili?

I think the point is too good for either...although I will used cubed flat in either application

Back