MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
pomah25
Full Fledged Farker

Default Smoked Oysters for Father's Day

Planning to get a bushel of oysters to steam and smoke them. Going to use two webbers (18" and 22") to steam them, and a UDS to smoke them.

Does anyone have any experience doing that? Couple of questions:

What the best way to smoke them?
A. Steam>shuck>throw on the UDS?
B. Throw on UDS>shuck>throw back on UDS
C. Shuck (not sure how hard to shuck raw oysters)>throw on UDS - will gladly take shucking tips as well :)
D. Your suggestions?

What temp should I run the UDS for? How long should i smoke them (depending on method)? What method should i use? Any other tips?

To make sure Oysters are steamed yet are still hot and fresh when the guest arive what is the best idea for that? Figure should take 10-15 minutes to steam them on hot coals? When done, maybe wrap in foil with some liquid (shucked, throw on low on the gasser- to stay warm)?

And of coarse this leads into cocktail sauce questions, i know its just catchup and horseradish, but wondering if anyone has any other ideas (don't want to make it too hot). Also, if somebody has a good flavored butter idea or any other dipping sauce, i am all ears :)

Also thinking of doing crab cakes, so if anyone has a good recipe would like that too - probably going to pan fry them - unless somebody has a better idea?

Long story short, help me make this into a kick @$$ seafood fare! Thanks in advance!
pomah25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
TactTm1
On the road to being a farker

pomah:

If you follow this recipe, your guests will be so happy they wil send you gifts in the mail!! This local restaurant actually serves about 2 million of these per year. You may have seen Tommy Citanovich on National TV News lately talking about the oil spill and oyster issues.

This is a great outdoors dish and only works well with freshly shucked oysters 'cuz the flames lapping over the edge of the shells adds smokiness adn just the right amount of sear to the oyster.

http://www.nomenu.com/recipes/CharBroiledOysters.html

This is the perfect dish for those who want to enjoy oysters in their unadorned form, but can't or won't eat raw. Once you start eating these, you won't be able to stop.
  • 2 lb. butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh garlic
  • 1 Tbs. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 6 dozen oysters on the half shell
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses, mixed
  • 3 Tbs. chopped parsley
1. Mix butter with the garlic, pepper, and oregano.

2. Heat a gas or charcoal grill and put oysters on the half shell right over the hottest part. Spoon the seasoned butter over the oysters enough so that some of it will overflow into the fire and flame up a bit.

3. The oysters are ready when they puff up and get curly on the sides. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan and Romano and the parsley on top. Serve on the shells immediately with hot French bread.

Serves eight to twelve normal people, or two serious oyster fanatics.

This is also great on fish. Just leave the skin and scales on one side and toss it on the grill, just like the oysters. The fish cooks through in just a couple of minutes and has that great open-fire taste.

Last edited by TactTm1; 06-17-2010 at 02:52 PM..
TactTm1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

After smoke/steaming in the shell we like to add a vinegar based mignonette. I tried this green apple mignonette recipe last year and it was fantastic:
http://blogs.discovery.com/tlc-steam...ignonette.html
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

SMART MOVE! I say get 'em while ya can!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
rev0jace
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : J

Great info all! I know what I am going to cook tomorrow :)
rev0jace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

One of my biggest hits was to shuck the oysters, season them with Chacheries Cajun Rub, add some garlic, add a slice of jalapeno and wrap in bacon and close with a toothpick. I put them in a collapseable wire burger holder and grilled them until the bacon was crisp. Ended up making several batches as they dissapeared quicker than I could make them. TactTm1's recipe sounds really good too! ENJOY
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

When I lived in Va., the watermen had a bumpersticker:

Eat Clams, Live Longer...
East Oysters, Love Longer!

Enjoy your Father's Day!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

Love and Live is my motto too..Aint it a shame BP

Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
KGB
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

TacTm1's recipe recommendation sounds awesome! Post some pics after the event- love to see how they turn out.
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Just put em on the grill and when they open, squirt in a little BBQ sauce and grill a little more til the sauce melds with the oyster juice. Very simply and very delicious

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

TactTm1, if that's Drago's recipe then count me in! Last time I was there, a week before Katrina, I ate 7 dozen.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
pomah25
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you all for great input! I will definitely try some of these, has anyone ever tried just plain smoking them? is it worth it?

TactTm1 - Thank you, that recipe looks awesome! Can't wait to try it!

SmokeJumper - my dad is not big in raw oysters, but next time i cooking for me, that sounds very interesting!

jswordy - figured my uds is an old oil drum, so smoking oysters covered in light sweet crude would be fitting

J Don - you can wrap shoe leather in bacon and japs and it will taste delicious

KGB - will do my best to do pictures (might get busy/drunk) and forget to do it

Mark - BBQ sauce really? Sounds kind of weird... i guess can give it a try
pomah25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactTm1 View Post
pomah:

If you follow this recipe, your guests will be so happy they wil send you gifts in the mail!! This local restaurant actually serves about 2 million of these per year. You may have seen Tommy Citanovich on National TV News lately talking about the oil spill and oyster issues.

This is a great outdoors dish and only works well with freshly shucked oysters 'cuz the flames lapping over the edge of the shells adds smokiness adn just the right amount of sear to the oyster.

http://www.nomenu.com/recipes/CharBroiledOysters.html

This is the perfect dish for those who want to enjoy oysters in their unadorned form, but can't or won't eat raw. Once you start eating these, you won't be able to stop.
  • 2 lb. butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh garlic
  • 1 Tbs. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 6 dozen oysters on the half shell
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses, mixed
  • 3 Tbs. chopped parsley
1. Mix butter with the garlic, pepper, and oregano.

2. Heat a gas or charcoal grill and put oysters on the half shell right over the hottest part. Spoon the seasoned butter over the oysters enough so that some of it will overflow into the fire and flame up a bit.

3. The oysters are ready when they puff up and get curly on the sides. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan and Romano and the parsley on top. Serve on the shells immediately with hot French bread.

Serves eight to twelve normal people, or two serious oyster fanatics.

This is also great on fish. Just leave the skin and scales on one side and toss it on the grill, just like the oysters. The fish cooks through in just a couple of minutes and has that great open-fire taste.
I was going to recommend this - http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/oysters.htm - and then I realized you already had. I've never had them, but a friend was telling me how good they were. They look great.
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswordy View Post

SMART MOVE! I say get 'em while ya can!
Must be talkin' about our Louisiana oysters. Preoiled by BP
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
Northwet Burner
Got Wood.

Undoubtedly one of the worst effects of the spill.

Here in the Northwet we are blessed with a variety of oysters- all good but not as big as the Gulf Coast or Chesapeake Bay Oysters. The Kumamotos from Yaquina Bay or the Hood Canal Oysters are as sweet and tasty as any I've ever tasted.

I like to set them on the grill until they open slightly and then shuck them. Discard the flat side and set them back on with a dollop of sauce (or just butter and oregano) to let them cook a little in their own juices. Some folks like them a little more cooked- (I think they are done when they are puled from the water) so you can adjust for the tastes of the crowd.
Sig Hansen (Deadliest Catch) is marketing a line of tartar sauces and his SeaHorseradish is fantastic. It is pretty simple to make if you can find fresh horseradish.

Shucking them is easy but ya absolutely NEED a good oyster knife. Get a pair of heavy linemans leather gloves and hold the oyster flat side up in your scratching and swatting hand. Then put the point of the knife right at the point of the shell at the seam between the 2 and shove/pry. It takes a little practice to see the right spot so it's worth a few minutes of instruction from and expert. Once you get onto it- you can have the hide off the in less time than it takes to tell but there is a secret to it.

Which reminds me- I need to go to the fish store tomorrow. Can't wait for a "R" month. I am going to try the suggested recipe as well.

Last edited by Northwet Burner; 06-17-2010 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Forgot stuff
Northwet Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Crab Cakes, Oysters, Seafood