MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
TactTm1
On the road to being a farker

Default More Flavor-Flav for my Butt?

I had a nice 7 pound Boston Pork Butt slotted for an overnight cook, so I thinned some of the fat cap, gave it a bit o' oil and went to town with the Dry Rub! Wrapped it up and let it set in the fridge for about 12 hours.

The BGE was loaded up with Royal Oak hardwood and when the temp leveld at about 220, I tossed on the Applewood (also had some buried in the layers of Royal Oak) and dropped the Butt for a nice, long, undisturbed rest for close to 15 hours. I tossed in some additional chips periodically and finally took Mr. Porky off at an internal of 195, where he spent about 90 minutes in a wrap of foil and beach towel while he rested in the patriotic motif ice chest.

The bone slid out like a Luger on the Canadian ice track and it pulled perfectly.

Issue: Simply not much flavor. Very slight hint of smoke and the meat seemed to me to cry out for a sprinkling and dousing much more than I would have liked.

Solution to more flavor: ???

PS: Still had enough 'ammo' for another couple hours of chickens and fish!

Last edited by TactTm1; 05-05-2010 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: added info
TactTm1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

What kind of rub did you use? If you want smokey flavor sounds like you should add more wood, or use something like hickory
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd say you need to inject..it's really the only way to get flavor down deep inside
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
TactTm1

I used a mix of Happy Kajun and Bad Byrons Butt Rub.

Would I need to add larger quantities all the way through the cooking period or mainly at the beginning? I thought I heard that most smoke flavor is absorbed at the beginning.

Other than the missing smoke, the meat was good and my wife was happy! ...At least once we got home from Church and she finally accepted my explanation on why I could not time an overnight cook to be 'ready' at an exact time!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can also add a little seasoning and a touch of a thin sauce for added flavor after it's been pulled.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
I'd say you need to inject..it's really the only way to get flavor down deep inside
What he said.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am one who adds some rub and sauce after pulling. But, you can also work rub into the fat, simply use your finger to force it into the membrane around the internal fat if you want. Inject is fine as well, but, I like the idea of having the pork flavor to contrast the stronger flavor of the rub and bark.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

You might try adding some mustard before adding the dry rub to get more to adhere which will give you more bark and more flavor. The rub you choose can greatly affect the end result so you might experiment with new types or try adding the missing elements to your base rub. For instance, I often add citric acid (like lemon pepper) to many rubs to balance out the sugar and give a satisfying tangy flavor. I also often add my own smoked chile powders to add spice, fruit and smoke.

Most of the smoke flavor will develop in the first couple of hours so you might try a stronger smokewood like pecan or hickory up front. I greatly prefer chunks over chips on my BGE as it gives off smoke for a long duration.

The sauce you add on the finish can greatly affect the overall flavor as well.
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
TactTm1

I think I will switch to 'chunks' and experiment with a stronger spice mix. I added brown sugar to my rub (about 20%)....is this a good idea or did I dilute the spices too much? I was trying to get a harder bark.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Willie's BBQ
Banned

try using the same rub mixed in with a injection
Willie's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie's BBQ View Post
try using the same rub mixed in with a injection
This is it..... The trick is to put your rub in a spice or coffee grinder to get it powder. Then when its done smoking and you pull it. add a little rub to your meat, or spray some injection on it if you dont want it sauced.
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactTm1 View Post
I think I will switch to 'chunks' and experiment with a stronger spice mix. I added brown sugar to my rub (about 20%)....is this a good idea or did I dilute the spices too much? I was trying to get a harder bark.
IMHO the sugar will melt and cause your bark to get soggy. And sugar is not that good for you, but thats another subject that has been hashed over pretty well.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Applewood is also going to give you a milder smoke flavor than hickory. If you want it smokier, try going straight hickory. A few chunks at the start and probably a few more at the 6 hour mark or so.
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
Forrest

I used an injection for the first time recently and was very happy with the taste of the results. I didn't use any of the rub in my injection, just went Chris Lilly style (water, apple juice, salt, sugar). For more smoke, use more wood. That formula is pretty simple. Apple is pretty strong already, so use a couple few large chunks at the beginning, and add more at the 3 hour mark if you want it even smokier.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
FltEng

I would skip the oil that you put on the butt; IMHO it restricts the amount of smoke absorbed by the meat. I use a slather of cider vinegar and yellow mustard.
FltEng is offline   Reply With Quote