Quick UDS question

SmokenIdaho

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I see guys talking about seasoning there UDS I can't see what difference it makes. But there must be one. What is it?

Ok, you got us...we just do it so we can eat the fattie. I season mine several times a year! :becky:

It's not that big of a deal. You know when you get a new grill, may it be a gasser, charcoal or what have you, the first cook doesn't have the "taste"? Its kind of like that. Spray some Pam on the inside walls, and let it smoke about half an hour, and consider it done.

A reason to have a fire and drink a beer :laugh::laugh:

What he said^^^^^^^^^ Plus it allows you to do some temp checks, before you cast on the first slab o pork :-D

I like the fire and beer idea mine may need reseasoning at least twice a week.

By Seasoning my one and only UDS helped me figure out what I need to do to maintain a constant temp. This was very helpful since it's so much different than cooking on my Chargriller.

Seasoning also has the double effect of rust prevention - you'll have a thin layer of oil and smoke around the inside that rust doesn't like to grow on. I say spray it with cooking oil (pam) and do a test burn. And as mentioned previously, it WILL NOT season correctly unless the operator consumes an adult beverage or two.

The corrosion aspect and the flavoring aspects are my main reasons. Have actually found that the food absorbs the "hot metal smell" of raw steal.

Back