MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
hawtin47
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default First Brisket, 11th-hour trepidation...

Hey gang,

Just found this forum this afternoon - after posting my intro and making the comment that I'm doing my first brisket tomorrow for my 43rd birthday, a fellow member (landarc) just suggested I post my plan here and that I might want to change course.

Keep in mind that I'm a BBQ greenhorn and dinner will be at 5 p.m. tomorrow.

Here's where I'm at.

1. Applied a rub to a 13 lb. brisket Wednesday night (paprika, brown and granulated sugar, salt, oregano, chili powder, cumin, black & cayenne pepper), wrapped with plastic wrap and placed in the fridge.

2. Plan was to do two hours indirect on a Weber kettle with a charcoal & soaked hickory chunk combo, then wrap the brisket in foil and plop in the oven at 300 degrees until I hit 210 degrees internal temp. Making a mustard and vinegar (Carolina?) sauce to serve with it.

I have the basic Weber kettle charcoal grill and have not done the homework to rig up a way to monitor the kettle temp. I do have a digital meat thermometer with a corded prong.

Is this a bad plan?

Thanks in advance for any help you may throw out. Sorry for the short notice...

Marc
hawtin47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Okay, now that you are here...

I normally rub the brisket the night before with a coating of bbq rub of choice, could be something like Plowboys or Todd's Dirt, or it could be my own rub, then wrap in plastic and let sit overnight. On the morning of cook, I remove an hour or so before cooking and rub again with a medium coarse rub based on the Dirty Dalmation rub, this is equal parts medium grind black pepper and kosher salt, then 1/2 part each of dried orange peel and granulated garlic. This is allowed to sit while I fire up the kettle. I bank the coals to one side (I use a 22.5" Weber OTS) and will fire up half a starter full of charcoal. I put this on the banked charcoal in the kettle and put the grate on. I put the wood on the grate to heat, but, not burn. I use an the thermo to check the temps, if they are stable at 250F, I put the wood on the fire, go get the brisket and get it on. I adjust the vents to get to a running temp. of 275F to 300F and let it run.

I have to say, if I have a 13 lb. brisket, I assume it is a packer, I would be tempted to separate them and cook them on on top of the other, this will make pulling the point and making 'burnt ends' easier. You should be able to get the brisket done in 5 to 6 hours, add an hour for the burnt ends. No oven needed. No foiling needed.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
landarc

Oh, I use an old standard meat thermometer with a long probe stuck in the exhaust hole on top of the lid, I cook at 275F using this setup. Oh, I check foe doneness with a metal skewer, looking for the probe to go in like butter. The proper temp to start checking is 190F meat temperature. I start earlier, but, that is bad practice.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
hawtin47

Thanks for the input, bud - you saved me from having to ask how I might measure the temp with mine...got the standard meat thermometer.

I'll do a second rub - that sounds fun. Don't know what a "packer" is, I'm guessing a cheap brisket with both the flat and point cuts together? If so, that's the one...$2.02 a pound at the local Cash & Carry.

I'll have to do some research on where to separate them for a stacked scenario...I'm guessing somewhere in the middle...<smile> Don't have a starter to do the two-tiered charcoal gig, but I'm guessing that is a necessity to get a five-hour cook without adding charcoal. So much to learn.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
landarc

Packer brisket is the normal term for a brisket that has both the point and flat attached. It is my preferred cut so that I can make 'burnt ends'. I prefer choice to select, but, have made good brisket with select.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Here is a video from Big Mista on trimming a brisket...

http://www.thesurvivalgourmet.com/?p=162

I don't separate the point and flat, but I aggressively trim the fat between the two so it is easier to cut them apart later.

BTW, give your self plenty of time. It the brisket is done early you can keep it hot for a few hours by wrapping it in a couple of layers of foil and putting it into a dry cooler with clean newspapers or towels as insulation around the brisket. If the cooler is cold you can preheat it with hot water and then dry it.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Try to keep it on the Kettle as long as you can. If you get the internal temp to like 140 then put it in the oven at 250 until the probe goes in like butter you should be good.

I did a few like this when I first started and they came out good.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
hawtin47

Thanks guys - I'll post some photos later of the idiot at work/play.