Trimming the length of BB Ribs

twisterbret

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I picked up a Cryo pack of ribs at Costco that measure in at a 21 inches long. They were all long, so I had no choice. I just received my Backwoods Party smoker and the racks our 16 inches. Is there better end to trim on the rib? Do Comp ribs always have their ends trimmed off? What to do with the trimmings? I have the WSM and was tired of splitting them in half.

Have you ever rolled your ribs before? I have done them on my Drum like that. Just start at one end and roll them up. I would suggest you stick a toothpick in them to keep them from unfolling and then place them on with the side of the rib down. They don't turn out any different then if they where laying in a rack.

Is there better end to trim on the rib? Do Comp ribs always have their ends trimmed off? What to do with the trimmings?

If you need to shorten the rack, I would cut off the bones that are the shortest.

Comp ribs are always cut individually as the judges box needs to have six separate and identifiable portions.

Trimmings? Why cook them and eat them of course!

I cut the skinny end off, save all the trimmings for sunday sauce.

I also have a party. The ribs you bought can be trimmed easily to fit the racks. I cut back from the small end, until I reach the solid bones, You'll find the end bones aree shorter, smaller and softer. That's what I cut off. I trim the flap on the bone side. I trim mine St. Louis style, which makes them fit the racks without a problem. The trimmings go in the smoker so I have something to snack on while everything is finishing up. Hopr this helps.

If I did this right, a pic of some ribs on my party.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also trim off the "Excess" and use them for other recipes. My favorite is to cut them up small and prepare them with yellow rice. Somewhat similar to a paella. Otherwise I'll do the same as Jack and put them off to the side of the smoker and have them to nibble on later.

Have you ever rolled your ribs before? I have done them on my Drum like that. Just start at one end and roll them up. I would suggest you stick a toothpick in them to keep them from unfolling and then place them on with the side of the rib down. They don't turn out any different then if they where laying in a rack.

My thoughts exactly!

I havent come across a rack of ribs I had to trim to fit in the party yet. If you must trim I would cut the rack in half. I put the ribs in front to back. Its hard to explain, but sometimes i have to "force" them to fit, kind of compress them. Within an hour they will shrink up and fit on the rack fine. Here are a couple pics from the same cook. Notice when the ribs are first put on they are the length of the racks and pushed in there. In the second pic they are shorter than the racks.

SANY0321.jpg

SANY0326.jpg

While that picture is up. I know during Comps folks trim those large hunks of meat off the end. Does everyone do that for home?

Yes to the trimming at home.

Same as to trimming for a comp, I want to get the ribs to an even thickness to give them a chance to cook evenly.

This is more of an issue when cooking 15 racks for an MBN contest or 30+ racks for a big party.

Like was also mentioned the trimmings can be cooked up to snack on while everything else is cooking or for the beans.

If you need to shorten the rack, I would cut off the bones that are the shortest.

Comp ribs are always cut individually as the judges box needs to have six separate and identifiable portions.

Trimmings? Why cook them and eat them of course!

I trim the long bones first, not the short. The long bones are usually the thinnest trim and often have a shiner. On the short end, there's usually a partial bone on the end. I trim that off.

My comp ribs have meat on the ends, not bones... if that makes sense. I trim both ends so that when I wrap, the bones are less likely to puncture the foil.

While that picture is up. I know during Comps folks trim those large hunks of meat off the end. Does everyone do that for home?

I usually don't turn in off the ends at all. I want 7 bones out of the middle. If that "fat" end is really big, I'll cut it down, but typically I don't worry about it.

21 inches is pretty large. Lay them in there diagonally and you'll be fine.

They'll shrink a couple inches.

21 inches is pretty large. Lay them in there diagonally and you'll be fine.

They'll shrink a couple inches.

I've never trimmed and follow TN_BBQ's advice.

I criss cross diagonally in the Bandera, 1 slab per rack, so that when the shelved are loaded into the unit, its like an "X" where the slabs do not line up shelf to shelf.

In a couple hours, you can even combine racks after shrinking.

Also, those slabs can be "pushed together" a good 3-5" when place on the grate. No need to have them "pulled long" to make them bigger.

Here's a "small cook" example

Attachments

• 007_3A.jpg
    007_3A.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 70
Thanks everyone for the advice. I trimmed them down last night but next time I'll do them diagonal.

Plowboy, also great info. I read it 3 times to take it all in. We also LOVE your rub!!

Thanks!

Back