BBQ Vending and Catering

R

Roo-B-Q'N

I know health codes are different in every area, but what are some of the things the health inspectors look for when inspecting the trailers you are using to vend and or cater from.
We are gearing up for our first inspection and want to have our ducks in a row with what they will be looking for and at.
Also, what are they going to be looking at specifically in regards to the smokers?????
Any and all help would be appreciated. We are all for doing this correct and proper and do not want to "hide" anything from the inspector. He was a great help when we asked for his advice in the building of the trailer.

Here in Wichita, they look for a hand washing station, a permit to vend, and a letter of liability insurance.
Much success in your upcoming gig!:razz:

The rules vary state by state and sometimes county by county, there are also different rules for contract cooks as well.

Here in the West they want the prep area to be enclosed, and the cooking area too on vending units.

Arround here: All food service items at least 6" off of the floor, 3 bay sinks + hand sink, no untreated wood (must be painted, etc) in the food handling area, refrigerator temps below 40*, hot food temps.

At our little park where we do the once a month chicken dinners.

Our inspector checks fridge temps. Mandates permanet thermometer mounted inside our fridges....but we rent out the hall and they disapper also.

He makes sure that our 3 wash sinks that are close to our deep fryers have a physical seperation wall, no cross contamination between the wash sink and the hot oil.

Seperate wash sink w/wash your hands warning sign. Must have antibacterial soap dispenser w/ample paper towels plus trash can.

Must have lots of rubber/vinyl food handling grade gloves as well.

Wash sinks must have soap and bleach or disenfecting tablets available sitting out for view.

Next year Thermopens will be required in any kitchen that cooks and serves food.
Im thinking a minimum temperature chart posted on the wall for pork, chicken, beef ect., as a basic reminder for employees cooking food would also be approaite also. As well as basic safe food handling rules.

Another thing that we must do as volunteer cooks is either wear a hat or hairnet.This is a mandatory regulation.......

No open coffee cups, beer mugs allowed in the kitchen where cross contamination may occur if accidently spilled. We got busted hard for this last year.

Santiary bucket of water for wiping down counters ect.

Our inspector makes sure that our water is at least 140 degrees...????? not postitive on temp. Also that we have adequite storage for waste water from our wash sinks.......we are septic tank mod.

We also must........have our well water testing certifications up to date that our water is safe.

We had one burnt out light bulb in our range hood, we got busted for that as well.

We here in Michigan must also have had one person do the food saftey class with the certificated posted inside the kitchen.

I guess we expound the rules here in Michigan, of the KCBS Contest Rules.

Dont forget to have a tent over your cutting boards/tables.

I hope this helps awnser some of your question.

Good Luck on your inspection sir.

Last edited:
Opps.......dont forget a good quality fire extinguisher in your setup as well.
I personally would go with one dry chem. or ABC, and one carbon dixoide for your pit/cookers.

Our HD requires the smoker open to the inside of the trailor. That put all my hopes out for a while. Good luck, I saw the pics of your trailor, looks great!!

In our county the codes are very lenient. A person could get by without an license

Just passed our annual again with flying colors. They checked the fridge and hot water temps, looked under things for dirt, and complimented us on the cleanliness. 3 hole plus handwash, drying racks, no personal hygien items in food prep area, and easily wiped surfaces (we have white aluminum walls and vinyl floor) are all mandatory.

I got popped for not having NSF listed thermometers in the refrigerators and freezers. That was here in MN.

We add a fire blanket to the list above.

Fire_Blanket.jpg

They Like Us, They Really Really Like Us

Had our health inspection today and I can say I wass a bit nervous. The inspector pulls up and says something to the effect of "that is an amazing looking trailer"! I knew we were going to do ok. Before we went inside I said I hoped everything would be up to par and he said he doubted there would be any problems.

We went inside and he instantly went to the walls and said he liked them alot and hadn't seen anything like them in a trailer before. I think they are just powder coated aluminum. Help me out here Plowboy and We'll Smoke You. He then just looked around and kept telling us how impressed he was with the trailer. He looked under the sink. Asked about the refridgerator, then out to the back deck and questions on the cooker.

All said and done the inspection took less than 15 minutes, paperwork and discussion on how we wanted to be licensed and we were done. I looked at our copy of the inpection sheet and the only thing he wrote down was paper towel holder to be installed. Then at the the bottom he wrote "Outstanding Trailer"!

All in all it was a great experience. I will tell you, get with your health inspector from the get go. Ask questions and follow their advice before you have your inspection. They are there to help you and keep the public safe, they are not the bad guys. The bad guys are the ones trying to fly under the radar and not be caught. They are the ones that drive up insurance rates and make it more expensive for those going the right way.

Congratulations guys!! I will feel much better this weekend now that you are legit. :wink::biggrin:

Congratulations guys!! I will feel much better this weekend now that you are legit. :wink::biggrin:

It doesn't mean we will do anything more sanitary . . . or less sanitary for that matter :shock:.

Ok yes it does, now we have a reputation to keep.

Back