MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Another cooking class

I'm doing a private class for a company's team building exercise, with up to 24 people. The class is 3 hours long, and it's to cover grilling in general. I'm going to show how to grill a steak correctly, but that's all I'm actually set on doing.

The focus is mostly on simple things, but I can always do one or two more complicated things. Any thoughts on what you'd either want to show someone or want to see someone do in a grilling class?

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

Showing people how to grill some chicken is always a good thing seeing as how most dry it out.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood
--saying in a fortune cookie--
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
cmcadams

Good idea; I'd started kind of thinking of doing a beer can chicken... I think I'll add that one.

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)

Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Grilling fruits and vegetables might be of interest (corn, portabellas, pineapples, etc)

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
thillin

Show them how to use a charcoal chimney. And I really like grilled Ceasar salad. Cut the romain heads in half lengthwise. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Cut side down on hot grill enough to char. Plate cut side up and add dressing.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
cmcadams

bbs, great idea; I'm doing grilled peaches for a class before this, but grilled pineapple is simple to show them, and tastes really great all by itself.

t, the salad is a great, idea, too; I've done that, and it was really well received. What I did differently was I froze some balsamic vinegar,a nd served the salad, grilled with a bit of parmesan, with shavings of the vinegar on it.

Great ideas, please keep them coming! Simple but good will be the theme. I'm also going to do cedar planked salmon, I think.

Livefire Whisky

Old 02-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
thirdeye

Curt,

Planking is a good idea. I've been getting back into plank cooking since the holidays. The planked brie started it but almost all of the seafood just keeps getting better and better. It's almost impossible to screw up unless you catch the plank on fire.

So for the class the benefit is not only a an easy cook and a great flavored product but the presentation is wonderful....

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Jorge

Working in a portabella for the none carnivores might not be bad.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
J Appledog
On the road to being a farker

If you ever do a turkey class I'd be happy to share my syllabus and handouts. JCA
and Shirley, the Lang

FBA; GLBBQ; KCBS CBJ
Team Mrs. Dog's M22 BBQ

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind. Humphrey Bogart[/FONT]
J Appledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams
I'm doing a private class for a company's team building exercise, with up to 24 people. The class is 3 hours long, and it's to cover grilling in general. I'm going to show how to grill a steak correctly, but that's all I'm actually set on doing.

The focus is mostly on simple things, but I can always do one or two more complicated things. Any thoughts on what you'd either want to show someone or want to see someone do in a grilling class?
Probably the one thing that I ever learned about grilling that made the most difference in my grilling was to figure out that you can push the coals to the side and grill indirectly. I spent years and years not realizing that it was even an option.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
cmcadams

Thirdeye, I love scallops that way, and I'm starting to lean toward something like what you posted, with salmon and scallops. I have these cedar sheets that I may do fish with, too. I like wrapping the scallops in proscuitto and skewering with rosemary twigs, too.

J, good idea on the mushroom thing. I'm going to include a few simple sides, but I may do a marinated mushroom 'steak', too.

Q, I'll definitely be showing how to do a 3 zone fire, or a 2 zone on gas. I'm also going to show them the importance of letting meat rest once off the grill, with a goofus and gallant version.

J, I'm thinking of pushing an all turkey class next fall before Tday, showing deep fried, oven roasted, beer can and brined-and-smoked turkeys. The nice thing about turkey is it's cheap for the class, and it's doable in a 3 hour time frame with the right swapouts.

Livefire Whisky