MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Question Chicken Recipes...

Looking for something different... hit me with your best mojo recipe..

Actually - hit me with your best chicken recipes in general..

Thanks Guys!!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

My favorite is my dads Greek chicken. Dust it with greek spice, and toss on the grill. Then he takes two bottles of open pit bbq sauce, lemon juice from two lemons, and toss in the wedges, oregano, and a splash of whiskey and lets that simmer for an hour. When the chicken in done, dip the pieces in the sauce, and put back on the grill. He does this twice to get a nice carmelization on it.
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

If you don't want to bbq/grill it and want to stew it there is a great Filipino dish called Adobo Manock(chicken)

1 medium/large onion - sliced
3-5 cloves of garlic - minced
2-4 lbs of chicken
1/2 tablespoon of pepper corns
2-3 bayleaves
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup vinegar
water if needed

Heat pot and add oil. Sautee onions and garlic till translucent. Add in chicken. Once chicken is "white" add in soy sauce, vinegar, whole peppercorns and bruised bayleaves. If the liquid does not come up 3/4 of the way up the chicken add water (or add more soy/vinegar) Bring to boil, lower heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until chicken is cooked (stir occassionally)

Serve over steamed rice (sticky medium grain rice not long grain seperated rice). Spoon some of the liquid/onions onto the rice.

*picture taken from livingthefitlife.com. found through google image and looks closest to the way I my chicken adobo looks, I usually add a little bit more of the liquid/sauce*

Old 01-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
LMAJ

Great start - both of those look great.
These recipes do not need to be grilled or smoked..

Tomorrow I am planning on making Lemon-Rosemary-Garlic chicken and potaotes that is started on the stove and finished in the oven.
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault

Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Bludawg

Pollo Rojo

WET RUB
mix
1 tbl paprika
1 tbl chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black peppa
1/3 cup mayo

Slather the bird with the rub and put in on the center post of a Bundt pan roast at 325 til done.
Serve with Verde rice, refried beans, fresh lime wedges, crema, cilantro & maize tortillas.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I'll share my grandmother's fried chicken recipe (which to me has always been the best fried chicken--10 times better than KFC at least).

Take farm fresh, all natural, non-enhanced chicken and cut it up into pieces. Don't wash it or wet it.

Roll the chicken in white flour (important.. don't shake in bag because flour will get under skin and cause it not to adhere to meat).

Heat 1/2" of cooking oil in a pan (I use 12" Lodge cast iron pan) to 340F.

Place floured chicken into the pan leaving at least 1/2" to 3/4" between pieces (I get about 2/3rds of one chicken in 12" pan); it is important not to crowd the chicken, it needs room to fry.

After you have placed the chicken in the pan reduce the heat from high down to between medium and medium high. Salt and pepper the chicken now.

After the chicken has gotten golden on the frying side, flip it and then salt & pepper the fried side. Don't be shy on the salt and pepper as some of it gets reabsorbed into the oil (the second batch of chicken you fry in the same oil will need less salt on the chicken because the oil has absorbed some salt from the previous batch).

Cook until the other side is golden then flip.

As you continue to finish cooking it--takes a little while--, flip a couple more times to prevent the crust from becoming over browned. Adjust the temperature on stove accordingly to keep it from browning too slow or too fast.

Check each piece with temp probe and cook the breast to 160F and the thighs/drumsticks to 170F. Usually the legs, thighs and wings are done before the breasts. (I usually cut the breasts in half before flouring them, unless they are old school chickens with small breasts.)

Place on cooling rack over tray to catch grease. Add some freshly cracked pepper over them and sprinkle on a little more salt only if needed (you can take pinch of the crust from a corner to see if it needs any salt).

(I'll reply again to this thread at a later date, with a photo of the chicken this method produces.)

Old 01-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Here's a few of our favorites we do regularly - recipes are included for each:

Spicy Sriracha Wings:

Crispy Rosemary Garlic Chicken

Rotisserie Chicken Cheesy Chili Enchiladas

Restaurant Quality General Tso's Chicken

Savory Fire Grilled Chicken Kabobs

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

I`m doing some oven roasted birds with my mushroom sauce for a party tomorrow night...compound butter under the skin with my FL. rosemary, garlic, lemon juice(trying to add zest but the last several attempts with Calif. lemons the zest has been too bitter even after blanching which I never had to do...maybe the drought out there).Celery root- parsnip mash, grilled asparagus( Peru only down here) and YUCA with MOJO.I have been asked to do a write up on Cuban Mojo for this site and I plan to do so in the eyes of my 70+ old Cuban family members, neighbors and my Gringo self.I`m going to pick some sour oranges(which differs from some others recipes and I will explain why in my article if interested) of of one of my trees now and make the marinade for tomorrows cook.(Key word" marinade" must include an acid).

Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
LMAJ

Thanks guys.

Anyone else???
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM

Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I like to brine chicken thighs- use thirdeyes lite brine recip and hit it with a rub and on the egg
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For tacos I'll butterfly breasts and marinade in Italian dressing, lemon juice, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, a little white wine, and salt. I'll cook at a blistering high, only takes a few minutes. Super juicy and flavorful.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote