MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Weed burners

For those of you that use weed burners to light or warm up your pits, do you have to use a grill type propane bottle on those, or do they use the small camp stove type bottles?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

The higher, common BTU ones require big grill tanks. There are a few that use small 1 pound takes, but they have a permanent mount for the tank and are meant to be pointed down, if you angle the burner up, the bottle will be upside down and now you will be feeding the liquid to the burner rather than the gas.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok, thanks...

Old 10-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

I have one from Bernz-o-matic that uses a camp bottle. $40 from Lowes. Does everything I need it too. As mentioned by AJStrider, it cannot be used upside down, but it doesn't have to be straight down either. Any angle up to horizontal and it works fine.

One thing I like is how portable it is. No 20 lb. propane tank and hose to haul around. And one camp bottle lasts quite some time.

Has a built in igniter too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weed Burner.jpg (25.5 KB, 161 views)

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.

Last edited by CtTradArcher; 10-26-2013 at 11:29 AM..
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

I got the harbor freight one for twenty bucks. Worked so good so far. If you go to get one make sure your tank has threads on the inside of where you hook it up. Mine screws in the connection not around it like most grills do. Also threads reversed on it.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8[/URL]
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Yup the one from Harbor Freight is great for the price...

Old 10-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

I really like my BernzOmatic and have used it for several activities other than the smoker/grill.

The portability and use for melting ice on the walkway or even burning weeds by my neighbors wood fence has been handy. I also always have a spare bottle as I use a hand-held MAP torch in the shop frequently.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

Forgot to mention they are handy for cleaning the grates on your smoker too, just burn that stuff off!