MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #31
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Wow. I just thought about building some quality drums for a little extra beer money. I've learned a lot of info from this forum on UDS. I damn sure wouldn't want to eat out of something unsafe and I wouldn't do that to anyone else. I know some people aren't as mechanically inclined as others and really it would be just helping others out for some extra beer money as I said.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #32
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWayne View Post
Wow. I just thought about building some quality drums for a little extra beer money. I've learned a lot of info from this forum on UDS. I damn sure wouldn't want to eat out of something unsafe and I wouldn't do that to anyone else. I know some people aren't as mechanically inclined as others and really it would be just helping others out for some extra beer money as I said.
It's that attention to detail that is necessary when building things for sale.

I like the fact that you care about your customers. Some others might not.

I would rather spend 95 for a new barrel that was new than 10 on an old one that held questionable material.... and steel as opposed to zinc bolts.....

Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #33
ymmiT
Full Fledged Farker

I believe the people looking for a UDS are searching CL for drums to build their UDS themselves not to buy a completed UDS. I would doubt many UDS owners bought theirs already built.
ymmiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #34
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
Skidder,

You need to grow some bark.

I don't think the comments were harsh. I understand where they they are coming from though. Let me try it from a different angle.

Many of us on the forum are artisans of some sort in other disciplines (welding, woodworking, IT, fabrication, etc) BESIDES smoking food.

When new people come into the field and undercut prices with substandard products (and I'm not saying this is you, o.k.?), it damages the reputation (and wallets) of everyone else.

For example, I have an ATC on the drawing board that has more features than any other ATC with the exception of the Stoker, but at a $190-$250 price point. All I have left to do is test it.

Now if I find a way to make them for $10 and sell them for $20, I would kill off the competitors. But why do that when I can price them in the middle of the pack and let everyone make money?
Well I guess I'm not an "artisian" whatever that means. I have been a carpenter since high school, have a welder and have fabricated most of my 56 years though I'm new to welding. I have made plenty of drums all food safe drums for usually no or little cost. I've only sold one (for $100) just to see if it would sell not to undercut anyone especially someone a million miles away. Ok off to grow some bark
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #35
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Ok now I understand. Substandard = bad rep and compromises safety. Nope don't want or need that. Thanks
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote