MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
I'm excited! Now if only they'd make one with a gas ignition.
Weed burner.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Looks like they might also be going after the weber with that 329$ price on a knockoff performer.

Has anyone seen this brown color kamado- kinda cool. Wonder if the cart model will have multiple colors or just Ford Model T Black.

http://www.meijer.com/s/char-griller...own/_/R-202682
See, that makes me wonder if the "standard" Akorn might start being discounted soon. a $30 price difference between it and the Performer version doesn't really differentiate them very much... you'd think the table space would command more of a price point compared to the old version.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I'm pretty sure there were 2 standard models- the one sold at lowe's, and the ones sold at menard's, meijer,etc. The ones sold at meijer and Menard's were always around 250-280, while the lowe's model was pretty much set at 300, IIRC.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #19
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

This is such a silly question, but does anybody know what color the Performer version is? I know they make black, red, and brown and they tend to distinguish between the models based on color a little bit. Anybody get a peak at it yet?
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #20
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
This is such a silly question, but does anybody know what color the Performer version is? I know they make black, red, and brown and they tend to distinguish between the models based on color a little bit. Anybody get a peak at it yet?
Probably just black, but it might be cool if they had colors. Read my previous post. I think the all black one sold at lowe's was supposedly the better of the two (or more) models.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Neat idea. Good to see competition in the market for cookers.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Nice find! That will be worth way more than $329

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I could be way off here, but up until this point I thought there were two "generations" of Akorns. First had the silver top vent and a few other less-than-perfect parts elsewhere. The second generation was the powder coated top vent and may have had some overall manufacturing improvements. If this Peformer "third gen" cooker has a cast top vent and the side table, just makes me wonder if they also addressed some of the air leaking issues documented in Man Cave Meals. I always thought the colors were more of a branding thing for various retail outlets. But again, that's casual observation.

The Char-Griller website is woefully unhelpful, which, again, I chalk up to branding issues, not wanting Retail Chain A to get feathers ruffled over competition with Retail Chain B. I've dug around extensively on the Home Depot and Lowe's websites, plus Char-Griller, Amazon and general Google searches. No dice on this table/cart model so far. Could be the time of year that they're just being introduced, too.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress

Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

That's what i was talking about regarding the two different models. IIRC, the ones with the wooden folding arms are the first generation and the black (metal? plastic?) folding arms were the newer/slightly better one.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 01-14-2013 at 01:29 AM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, black metal side tables on the newer version, at least the floor models I've seen at Lowe's locally.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #26
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

From the first picture, it looks like they have not upgraded the top vent. It is actually made of cast aluminum. The top vent is the only problem I have with this cooker. With it being cold out and the moisture from cooking, the vent freezes when I am not cooking. Then when I try to light the smoker it won't open.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #27
Big dawg
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey Foxfire have you made it by your local Home Depot yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #28
Mrpotamus
Knows what a fatty is.

Meijer actually has all three: red, black, and brown. The brown is supposedly available in store. The red and the black are online only and have to be shipped. The red is priced at $259, and the black and brown are priced at $268. Not sure if there is a build difference among the three. They all have the brown side tables. Based on the pictures, the red and black acorns have the Kinggriller logo, and the brown acorn has the Char-Griller logo. Color me confused.
Mrpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big dawg View Post
Hey Foxfire have you made it by your local Home Depot yet?
Not yet. At lunch I plan to check out the one near my job. If no dice, I'll see if I can swing past one of the stores closer to home after work. If I find anything worth sharing I'll snap some pix.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpotamus View Post
Meijer actually has all three: red, black, and brown. The brown is supposedly available in store. The red and the black are online only and have to be shipped. The red is priced at $259, and the black and brown are priced at $268. Not sure if there is a build difference among the three. They all have the brown side tables. Based on the pictures, the red and black acorns have the Kinggriller logo, and the brown acorn has the Char-Griller logo. Color me confused.
Yeah, I really have no idea how they brand and market these things. Like I said before, best I can figure is it's retailer-by-retailer. I'm sure there are those more savvy about it than I am.