Home Made KOMODO ??

smokincracker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It’s possible this was discussed already? I did not see it.

A few weeks ago I watched Alton on the Food Net cook a butt in a clay landscape pot made from clay perhaps 20-30 gallon size and used a smaller rounded clay pot for the lid. He used an electric hot plate for heat. This looked so easy any thoughts on this.

Can you put ceramic tile on one of these pots and make a homemade komodo type smoker. Will the Clay pot hold up from The Home Depot? My wife would love a real Komodo in our pool area. Perhaps I can make one and save about a grand?? Any thoughts would be great…

I saw that too. I was hoping to try a butt at a bash with this contraption some day.

As far as will it hold up, that is another question. My wife is the one with the green thumb. But my experience with the terra cotta pots (that what I call them) is one of humidity.

She has extras piled in the garage depending on what season it is. Now in the early spring, when there is plenty of rain, and plenty of humidity in the air, when I throw the rake into the garage, the chance of a pot breaking is minimal.

Give us a drought like we are having now, 5 weeks of no rain, grass going into hybernation, and dry as heck, and I can take out 6 rows of pots after I give the mower a push into its "spot" next to the pots and clip a few rows.

I'm talking about the big planter pots too, not just the mini's.

I see your in FL, where I heard it can get humid. As long as you store it away from where you might hit it on a dry spell, you should be fine.

Then again, my ceramic ash tray I made in Cub Scouts only lasted a week, so what do I know.

That episode has been running for a while, and after I watched it last fall I started looking into different cookers and found this site! I thought about trying his flower pot cooker, but I gave up because it was hard to find the big pots in this area in the fall.

If your wife wants a Komodo, its probably because they look cool, so be prepared to glue a sh*tload of little ceramic tiles onto your flowerpot... :D

I saw him smoke a Salmon in a cardboard box, but I don't think I want one at the house.

This guy can build a Komodo with water, red clay and a swiss army knife.

Is that the Big Green Egg? Or some name similar? I saw those on display at a local hardware store. They had 3 sizes. High $. Out of my range but they looked cool.

Up until 3 months ago, I had been using the AB Flower Pot Smoker for over a year. It works great with the exception of the limit of the interior space. The most meat I've ever been able to smoke in it is 2 6lb butts. And they were almost jammed in there, but not quite touching. The key to that smoker is the hotplate. I had to buy 3 different ones until I found one that would hold a decent temperature for any length of time. I still have it sitting next to my bandera, but with all the space in the bandera, I've not needed it.

I went to the Home Depot last night and checked out what they had.
I am beginning to think its possible.
At the most I will waste about $150 on materials if it doesn’t work and I would have the added bonus of spending some alone time in the garage for a few nights playing with thin-set, mortar & tile while my wife watches crappie reality TV I am usually subject too watch.

smokincracker said:
It’s possible this was discussed already? I did not see it.

A few weeks ago I watched Alton on the Food Net cook a butt in a clay landscape pot made from clay perhaps 20-30 gallon size and used a smaller rounded clay pot for the lid. He used an electric hot plate for heat. This looked so easy any thoughts on this.

Can you put ceramic tile on one of these pots and make a homemade komodo type smoker. Will the Clay pot hold up from The Home Depot? My wife would love a real Komodo in our pool area. Perhaps I can make one and save about a grand?? Any thoughts would be great…

Yeah; I explained that already. It's called a ceramic toilet. Just put a grill on top and a clay pot for a cover. Leave the tank and plumbing ftoo for quick and easy clean-up.

smokincracker said:
I went to the Home Depot last night and checked out what they had.
I am beginning to think its possible.
At the most I will waste about $150 on materials if it doesn’t work and I would have the added bonus of spending some alone time in the garage for a few nights playing with thin-set, mortar & tile while my wife watches crappie reality TV I am usually subject too watch.

If you decide to do it, take lots of pictures along the way and post them in the gallery...

BTW, everytime I see your avatar, I want to hold my breath... :)

jgh1204 said:
Komodo, sounds like border mex for toilet. Donde Esta El Komodo?

Yes. And that does not appear to be coincidental: As my previous report points out, a commode can be used as a Komodo. In fact some archaeologists and anthropologists believe the original Komodo-style outdoor cooking apparatus was most likely such a dual-purpose appliance in ancient Chinese society.

Back